Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2016, 03:43:19 AM
I had just wanted to make a cheap joke referring to NJ's cliché reputation as a horrible place. I didn't mean to cause any of this.  :weep:

It's a cliche'? 

derspiess

No.  Aside from Cape May, it is indeed a horrible place.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

My ancestor's plan of Newark being a theocratic haven for good holy people in a sinful world worked out though right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

One of my college bunkies lived in Princeton Heights NJ.  We visited a couple times for the holidays and it was very nice.

Pop was Polish and Mom was Italian.  She made these mushrooms stuffed with crab that were like crack.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 07, 2016, 11:08:25 AM
One of my college bunkies lived in Princeton Heights NJ.  We visited a couple times for the holidays and it was very nice.

Google not registering that as place in NJ but yeah area around Princeton is fairly nice. There's little bits here and there of Jersey that are quite nice as well as quite wealthy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38245646

France's leading financial regulator is painting the picture of a pending mass exodus of major banks from London to other European cities, as he claims a big competition is on behind the scenes to woo them away.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on December 08, 2016, 04:58:32 AM

France's leading financial regulator is painting the picture of a pending mass exodus of major banks from London to other European cities, as he claims a big competition is on behind the scenes to woo them away.

Is it realistic though? I mean I know we went through the hashing that say how many want to go to Paris and be looked down upon by Parisians. How many want to go to Frankfurt and die of boredom?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

IDK the ones that want to make really good money?

And if these European financial circles will have their way, London will have no license left to deal with EU stuff and then it won't be a matter of number of gay clubs per square kilometer, but the banks keeping their business.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on December 08, 2016, 06:30:26 AM
IDK the ones that want to make really good money?

And if these European financial circles will have their way, London will have no license left to deal with EU stuff and then it won't be a matter of number of gay clubs per square kilometer, but the banks keeping their business.

I was discussing with me team and we wondering that maybe if EU cuts some sweet deal with Switzerland maybe a lot could be enticed there.

What's the point of good money if you have to live in a place you dislike? ;)

I've no idea why you are pursuing some sort of gay angle. :hmm:

celedhring

My GF's parent company is discussing moving their European HQ from London to Dublin, FWIW. She hates the idea.

Josquius

I don't think par
Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2016, 06:16:53 AM

Is it realistic though? I mean I know we went through the hashing that say how many want to go to Paris and be looked down upon by Parisians. How many want to go to Frankfurt and die of boredom?

I don't think paris will get much.
Dublin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam and maybe Edinburgh though....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on December 08, 2016, 11:54:31 AM
I don't think par
Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2016, 06:16:53 AM

I don't think paris will get much.
Dublin, Frankfurt, Amsterdam and maybe Edinburgh though....

Is that assuming a...

Josquius

If there's a hard brexit it I think it's a given that the UK is over.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

If Fillon wins and then gets enough support in the legislative election, there could be an opportunity to transform Paris as a business friendly financial destination.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 08, 2016, 01:25:37 PM
If Fillon wins and then gets enough support in the legislative election, there could be an opportunity to transform Paris as a business friendly financial destination.

flying pigs right around the corner then!