Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2016, 01:35:35 PM
Quote from: Zanza on December 06, 2016, 01:33:55 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2016, 01:28:05 PM
Britain will be the New New Jersey. Old Jersey? Old New Jersey?

As much as I rag on it, there are definitely much worse places to be than NJ. Even if you restrict to just looking at the Western world.
I wanted to express that I didn't get Syt's comment. ;) I lived in Hoboken, NJ for half a year and that was a really nice place. Newark close by wasn't...

Josquius

Isn't hoboken the place pretty much on the new York subway system and is like nyc but with affordable rent?

Anyway. The weaker the brexit the better.  Best case we can be a less nice norway (hopefully not switzerland). Keeping free movement is a priority
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2016, 06:38:15 PM
Isn't hoboken the place pretty much on the new York subway system and is like nyc but with affordable rent?

Anyway. The weaker the brexit the better.  Best case we can be a less nice norway (hopefully not switzerland). Keeping free movement is a priority

No?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2016, 06:46:08 PM
No?

Which part? I mean Hoboken is closer to Manhattan than some of the boroughs are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2016, 07:15:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 06, 2016, 06:46:08 PM
No?

Which part? I mean Hoboken is closer to Manhattan than some of the boroughs are.

I wouldn't ever describe it as like NYC but with affordable rent. I guess one could say the PATH is pretty much on the NYC subway system in that both can use MTA cards even though they are completely autonomous systems otherwise.

And by 'some of the boroughs' do you mean Staten Island? That's the only borough that I can think of that's further away from Manhattan than Hoboken.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

My Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandfather founded Newark in 1666 so I feel like I know a thing or two about New Jersey. I thought Hoboken was right across the Hudson from lower Manhattan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

It is. But then Queens, Brookland and The Bronx are separated by even narrower bodies of water. Well the Bronze even bordering by land if you count that little bit of Manhattan that got separated off.

Zanza

Most of Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island is physically much farther from Manhattan than Hoboken.

garbon

That's now what was raised. Oh well I forgot that if you are closest than you are the same. Poor Canadian border cities.

celedhring

When I was over there, Hoboken was indeed full of NYC transplants looking for affordable brownstones and a calmer neighborhood.

garbon

I hope you all have lovely vacations in Hoboken then. Remember the pro tip: don't waster time venturing into New York City. It's just more of the same at a more expensive price. :blurgh:

Syt

I had just wanted to make a cheap joke referring to NJ's cliché reputation as a horrible place. I didn't mean to cause any of this.  :weep:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 03:35:54 AM
I hope you all have lovely vacations in Hoboken then. Remember the pro tip: don't waster time venturing into New York City. It's just more of the same at a more expensive price. :blurgh:

Being brought to the level of the bridge & tunnel rabble really got to you, didn't it?  :lol: :P

Tamas

Somebody really touched a nerve on garbon's class-consciousness  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on December 07, 2016, 04:56:13 AM
Somebody really touched a nerve on garbon's class-consciousness  :lol:

I'm drawing a large demarcation between NY and NJ. There are plenty of poor people who live in NYC. ;)