Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 25, 2016, 01:31:07 PM
& that's why it, like TPP, will fail.

Huh? TPP doesn't involve Euros.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2016, 01:38:43 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 25, 2016, 01:04:44 PM
How does the American constitution regulate a case where the federal government would like to do a treaty on something that is not covered by the powers invested into US congress, but rather lies with the several states?

It doesn't happen.  The treaty power is conferred on the federal government, and the federal government can enact enabling legislation even if it would normally be outside the competence of the federal government (because it is "necessary and proper" to the treaty).  In addition, Congress has the power to regulate international commerce, which is interpreted broadly as basically anything that impinges or relates to such commerce.
Okay, the "necessary and proper" clause is obviously not part of the Lisbon Treaty. That's a massive difference between the reach of federal power in the US and EU.

Valmy

The EU is not a federation, it is a confederation. So they have to do everything all Swiss-like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2016, 02:17:56 PM
The EU is not a federation, it is a confederation. So they have to do everything all Swiss-like.
Switzerland is a fairly decent comparison actually, since you've cantons the size of small towns alongside major cities and their hinterlands.
The Swiss work on a double majority with their cantons though, one can't block everything.

One thing that particularly annoys me about this Belgium blocking the free trade treaty thing, is that in the run up to the referendum the Brexiters kept trotting out the bullshit that Europe could force Britain to do things we didn't want and we had no say in it. That if everyone voted against us (which they do all the time in the mind of the Kippers) we'd be screwed.
.....and now they are using this recent incident as an example of the EU being crap because Belgium can just suddenly veto something.
The logical dissonance drives me nuts.

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2016, 02:03:30 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 25, 2016, 01:31:07 PM
& that's why it, like TPP, will fail.

Huh? TPP doesn't involve Euros.
Guess he means TTIP. Way too similar acronym.
Which is definitely going to fail. The UK were the main ones wanting it - though again UKIP played their disgusting false flag games to trick idiots into thinking it was something being forced onto us and it would mean the NHS would be privatised and all sorts of rubbish
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Blows my mind that Heathrow only has two runways.

Zanza

It's not a confederation either. In Facebook terms, you would select "It's complicated" to describe it.  :P

Quote from: WikiThe classification of the EU in terms of international or constitutional law has been much debated. It began life as an international organisation and gradually developed into a confederation of states. However, since the mid-1960s it has also added several of the key attributes of a federation, such as the direct effect of the law of the general level of government upon the individual[77] and majority voting in the decision-making process of the general level of government,[78] without becoming a federation per se. Scholars thus today see it as an intermediate form lying between a confederation and a federation, being an instance of neither political structure.[79] For this reason, the organisation is termed sui generis (incomparable, one of a kind),[80] although some argue that this designation is no longer valid.[81][82]

The organisation has traditionally used the terms "Community" and later "Union" to describe itself. The difficulties of classification involve the difference between national law (where the subjects of the law include natural persons and corporations) and international law (where the subjects include sovereign states and international organisations). They can also be seen in the light of differing European and American constitutional traditions.[81] Especially in terms of the European tradition, the term federation is equated with a sovereign federal state in international law; so the EU cannot be called a federation — at least, not without qualification. It is, however, described as being based on a federal model or federal in nature; and so it may be appropriate to consider it a federal union of states, a conceptual structure lying between the confederation of states and the federal state.[83] The German Constitutional Court refers to the EU as a Staatenverbund, an intermediate structure between the Staatenbund (confederation of states) and the Bundesstaat (federal state), consistent with this concept.[84] This may be a long-lived political form. Professor Andrew Moravcsik claims that the EU is unlikely to develop further into a federal state, but instead has reached maturity as a constitutional system.[85]

Hamilcar

Quote from: Tyr on October 25, 2016, 02:34:40 PM
Switzerland is a fairly decent comparison actually, since you've cantons the size of small towns alongside major cities and their hinterlands.
The Swiss work on a double majority with their cantons though, one can't block everything.

Spot on. There are many ways in which minority opinions and constituencies are protected, but there are no vetoes.

Zanza

I don't really know enough about Switzerland but I think the EU is more comparable with the pre-1848 Switzerland then the modern federal state.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on October 25, 2016, 03:15:38 PM
It's not a confederation either. In Facebook terms, you would select "It's complicated" to describe it.  :P

Because it is a transitional design that was intended to become a federal structure, but didn't.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 25, 2016, 03:10:05 PM
Blows my mind that Heathrow only has two runways.

With the goddamned fees and taxes you pay there oughtta be 40.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Made it on to a plane.  ITS HAPPENING
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Next we hear he got on a plane to Lesotho.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2016, 05:44:49 PM
Next we hear he got on a plane to Lesotho.

[derspiess]

At least there, they know how to treat women right.

[/derspiess]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

despeiss is going to come back with a souvenir snow globe from his ritual circumcision.

derspiess

FACT: I can pronounce "Lesotho" properly. Fact.

We also lost satellite TV once we got over Nova Scotia so I can't watch the World Series  :ultra: