Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

celedhring

I think a tit-for-tat agreement which also protects UK citizens abroad is a given. At least is the sensible decision.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2016, 04:05:30 AM
I think a tit-for-tat agreement which also protects UK citizens abroad is a given. At least is the sensible decision.

Yeah, grandfathering in the people who are already living in each country, both EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU should be a given, I don't think that either side would request anything else.

Richard Hakluyt

Has the EU said anything about the rights of British migrants to remain after brexit?

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 20, 2016, 04:29:39 AM
Has the EU said anything about the rights of British migrants to remain after brexit?

Not AFAIK. Over here the British retiree community got quite some press coverage in the build up for the referendum, and everybody seemed to think that not much would change for them.

celedhring

FWIW, it's pretty trivial to grandfather them under Spanish residency laws.

Richard Hakluyt

I expect both groups of people will get permission to stay, it would be extremely counter-productive to do anything else.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 20, 2016, 04:37:32 AM
FWIW, it's pretty trivial to grandfather them under Spanish residency laws.

Yeah, they must all be able to fulfill the requirements quite easily. Just as long as nobody tries to have them pass a Spanish language test.  :lol:

Josquius

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/706853/Boris-Johnson-Theresa-May-single-market-European-Union-funding-Brexit

Sounds like Johnson is teying to find his way out of his political hole. I'm almost tempted to hope they call his bluff
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2016, 06:19:26 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/706853/Boris-Johnson-Theresa-May-single-market-European-Union-funding-Brexit

Sounds like Johnson is teying to find his way out of his political hole. I'm almost tempted to hope they call his bluff

With those conditions there'll be very little to negotiate.

Crazy_Ivan80

Corbyn re-elected... really  :yuk:

garbon

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 24, 2016, 11:09:49 AM
Corbyn re-elected... really  :yuk:

Labour voters signalling they aren't ready to have their party in charge of a country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

It is worrying for the future to have labour in such a mess at this critical time. Just have to hope Corbyns gang stop the internal fighting and at least try to call out the tories on the brexit crap.
But 7 out of 10 Corbyn....ugh
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Corbyn and gang are part of the brexit "crap", the left wing of the Labour party has never liked the EU, too much of a capitalist club.

Valmy

I was about to say Corbyn is not your man if you want somebody to oppose Brexit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2016, 06:31:33 PM
I was about to say Corbyn is not your man if you want somebody to oppose Brexit.

[Enter Stage Left]

Tim Fallon.

[The Masses Applause]

:bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"