Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2016, 09:58:54 AM
Incidentally saw a fascinating stat that in the polls so far of the top 30 pro-remain councils only 3 are not in either London or Scotland: Oxford, Cambridge and Brighton.

Edit: Also seen that Goldman Sachs are apparently internally predicting Leave and considering Warsaw as new European base. Which is going to be a thing on Thursday. Exit polls are expensive so none of the media have actually bought one. Several hedge funds have, so the first hints of the result will probably be in the currency markets :lol:

Warsaw over Frankfurt or Paris?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 19, 2016, 06:33:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2016, 09:58:54 AM
Incidentally saw a fascinating stat that in the polls so far of the top 30 pro-remain councils only 3 are not in either London or Scotland: Oxford, Cambridge and Brighton.

Edit: Also seen that Goldman Sachs are apparently internally predicting Leave and considering Warsaw as new European base. Which is going to be a thing on Thursday. Exit polls are expensive so none of the media have actually bought one. Several hedge funds have, so the first hints of the result will probably be in the currency markets :lol:

They already have a big office there. One of the people I work for is a former Goldman-Sachs employee and she told me they have been buffing up the place for a while.

Admiral Yi

I would think the present government's indifference to the rule of law would rule Warsaw out.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2016, 06:44:50 PM
I would think the present government's indifference to the rule of law would rule Warsaw out.

My guess is that Ördnung commands a hefty premium in real estate prices and local wages.

We'd need to unban Martinus to get to the bottom of this. But who's taking that risk?  :hmm:

Monoriu

I imagine a firm as big as Goldman will have more than one base anyway.  They are going to have offices in London, Warsaw, Frankfurt and Paris no matter what.  The only difference is how much work each office gets.  if the UK leaves the EU, I can imagine that some of the work should be done outside London for legal and compliance reasons.  In that case, why not pick a location with lower costs and more flexible labour rules. 

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on June 19, 2016, 09:09:52 PM

I imagine a firm as big as Goldman will have more than one base anyway.  They are going to have offices in London, Warsaw, Frankfurt and Paris no matter what.  The only difference is how much work each office gets.  if the UK leaves the EU, I can imagine that some of the work should be done outside London for legal and compliance reasons.  In that case, why not pick a location with lower costs and more flexible labour rules. 

Maybe they can get away with chaining Marti to a desk to do legal work for them.

OTOH, considering the understanding of the law he often shows here, maybe they'd be better off just banning him from their HQ.

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2016, 06:44:50 PM
Isn't that a plus for investment bankers?

Tamas

3000 refugees Sheilbh? Wow :D That was the daily intake of Hungary until they raised that fence.

And I think Orban genuinely wants UK to remain. It has soaked up 2-300k dissatisfied Hungarians. The EU in general turned out to be an amazing tool to build his system: they pay insane money on improvement projects that he can steal and use to build a loyal oligarchy, and free movement of workers is an excellent  pressure valve. Everyone who is not fine with being serfs under his guys can just leave.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on June 19, 2016, 11:42:33 PM
Isn't that a plus for investment bankers?

It's a plus for wealth managers.  Investment bankers need enforceable contracts.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 19, 2016, 06:22:57 AM
QuoteSheilbh, lets just admit it: if there was a Labour government in place now with a solid majority, you would be voting Leave. :P
The union still matters. I'd be very unlikely to vote Leave if I thought it meant Scotland would go. Otherwise absolutely, I'd be campaigning.

On the hope that things might be better outside the EU?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

It is funny, that for the far-right accross Europe, the EU is the symbol of the international left imposing leftist control over everything. while for the far-left, in the UK at least, it is the symbol of preventing leftist control. :D

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on June 20, 2016, 05:55:08 AM
It is funny, that for the far-right accross Europe, the EU is the symbol of the international left imposing leftist control over everything. while for the far-left, in the UK at least, it is the symbol of preventing leftist control. :D

Didn't you mean, for them preventing rightist control?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Guess you meant rightist at the end there.

But yup.
Its insane.
What is particularly annoying is you see the same people coming out with the two sides.
One annoying one is where euroskeptics in one breath yell about the evil United States of Europe and its ever expanding powers that are going to enforce conscription into a European army (due next Tuesday) and all sorts of bollocks, and then in the next breath say trying to reform Europe is pointless because the EU is stagnant and can't change. :frusty:
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

It's the same over here. Brussels-mandated welfare cuts have exacerbated it, though.

The Larch

Apparently Jeremy Clarkson supports Remain. Now that's a bit of a surprise.