Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Syt

So, will there be a PM Boris Johnson?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, "stop playing politics with Brexit?" That ship has not only sailed, it has circumnavigated the globe, twice, was captured by Sumatran pirates and scuttled in the Lesser Antilles. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

It is absurd, what can be more political than something like Brexit?

A report on the economic damage so far :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/29/britain-bill-brexit-hits-500-million-pounds-a-week

I liked this comment from below the article :

" Brexit has always reminded me of one of my favorite Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

"I remember how my great-uncle Jerry would sit on the porch and whittle all day long. Once he whittled me a toy boat out of a larger toy boat I had. It was almost as good as the first one, except now it had bumpy whittle marks all over it. And no paint, because he had whittled off the paint. No paint." "

Zanza

QuoteDespite backing Remain at the 2016 EU referendum, Mr Hunt has since stated he would now vote Leave due to the "arrogance" of the EU during divorce negotiations.

Increasingly viewed as among the favourites to replace Mrs May as Tory leader, Mr Hunt delivered a crowd-pleasing speech in which he included both his attack on Brussels and references to former Conservative prime ministers Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher.

Delivering the stern message to the EU, the UK's top diplomat said: "At the moment you seem to think the way to keep the club together is to punish a member who leaves.

"Not just with economic disruption. But even by breaking up the United Kingdom with a border down the Irish Sea.

"What happened to the confidence and ideals of the European dream? The EU was set up to protect freedom. It was the Soviet Union that stopped people leaving.

"The lesson from history is clear: if you turn the EU club into a prison, the desire to get out won't diminish it will grow - and we won't be the only prisoner that will want to escape.

"If you reject the hand of friendship offered by our prime minister, you turn your back on the partnership that has given Europe more security, more freedom and more opportunities than ever in history."
The last sentence suggests a lack of self reflection. The paragraphs before that suggest a lack of historical knowledge and show very little respect for the EU and its stated goal to guarantee the GFA. The first part shows what a principled man he is, changing his stance on the issue when it suits his ambition. Seems like good PM material.

Valmy

I don't get it. How is the "club" a prison? They are letting the UK leave. They are just not fucking over every single one of their existing members by compromising their interests. The UK position does not make any sense at all.

I mean yes let's favor the UK, who is leaving, and fuck Ireland over. That will create a very secure and excellent partnership in the EU club moving forward.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

People who claim they voted remain and would now vote leave just make no logical sense. Even putting aside the merits of the arguments
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2018, 11:44:58 PM
I don't get it. How is the "club" a prison? They are letting the UK leave. They are just not fucking over every single one of their existing members by compromising their interests. The UK position does not make any sense at all.

I mean yes let's favor the UK, who is leaving, and fuck Ireland over. That will create a very secure and excellent partnership in the EU club moving forward.

I kind of think of Brexiters as a husband who divorces his wife and then complains he can't live in her house.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2018, 11:25:29 PM
QuoteDespite backing Remain at the 2016 EU referendum, Mr Hunt has since stated he would now vote Leave due to the "arrogance" of the EU during divorce negotiations.

Increasingly viewed as among the favourites to replace Mrs May as Tory leader, Mr Hunt delivered a crowd-pleasing speech in which he included both his attack on Brussels and references to former Conservative prime ministers Winston Churchill and Margaret Thatcher.

Delivering the stern message to the EU, the UK's top diplomat said: "At the moment you seem to think the way to keep the club together is to punish a member who leaves.

"Not just with economic disruption. But even by breaking up the United Kingdom with a border down the Irish Sea.

"What happened to the confidence and ideals of the European dream? The EU was set up to protect freedom. It was the Soviet Union that stopped people leaving.

"The lesson from history is clear: if you turn the EU club into a prison, the desire to get out won't diminish it will grow - and we won't be the only prisoner that will want to escape.

"If you reject the hand of friendship offered by our prime minister, you turn your back on the partnership that has given Europe more security, more freedom and more opportunities than ever in history."
The last sentence suggests a lack of self reflection. The paragraphs before that suggest a lack of historical knowledge and show very little respect for the EU and its stated goal to guarantee the GFA. The first part shows what a principled man he is, changing his stance on the issue when it suits his ambition. Seems like good PM material.

My scumbag alert just exploded.

Tamas

Heh, the Tory conference is quickly turning into a "who can blame the EU more harshly" race between the leading figures.

Dominick "American Psycho" Raab had this to say:

QuoteOur prime minister has been constructive and respectful. In return we heard jibes from senior leaders. And we saw a starkly one-sided approach to negotiation, where the EU's theological approach allows no room for serious compromise.

And yet we are expected to cast aside the territorial integrity of our own country. If the EU want a deal, they need to get serious. And they need to do it now.

The Larch

They rail about the "territorial integrity of the UK" all because of the customs border, when there are already additional checks to goods coming to the rUK from NI. One would think they don't really care much about the topic at all.  :rolleyes:

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on October 01, 2018, 05:40:48 AM
They rail about the "territorial integrity of the UK" all because of the customs border, when there are already additional checks to goods coming to the rUK from NI. One would think they don't really care much about the topic at all.  :rolleyes:

I am having great difficulties finding Tories, or just politicians in general who consider Brexit in any other context than how to best use it to get their next promotion.

Phil Hammond, the treasury guy is an exception. So is Rees-Mogg on the other end, possibly. The rest of them seemingly have no grasp of how this is an actual thing that will have actual reprecussions for tens of millions of people.

crazy canuck

They know this is not going to end well and want to put the blame on someone else.  Oldest trick in the book.

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on September 30, 2018, 11:25:29 PM

I used to think that the UK leaving the EU was a bad idea.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

I'm not sure that the "retarded, spoilt child" image the UK seems desperate to project is very well thought-out.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2018, 10:04:04 AM
I'm not sure that the "retarded, spoilt child" image the UK seems desperate to project is very well thought-out.

But it's gonna bring all teh trade!!!