Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Will be good to have a refugee voice yes.

Though what a funny constituency name. Named after a local hill  :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Unless there's more than one Wrekin in the UK, I totally know where that is thanks to Brother Cadfael.

HVC

You guys like to name things after hills over there :D . I've previously mentioned my favourite English city name, Breedon On The Hill, which translates from three languages into hill hill on the hill :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

To be fair that is a pretty impressively steep hill:

But ironically the town itself seems to be located off the hill. Breedun not on the hill.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on May 29, 2024, 03:37:22 PMYou guys like to name things after hills over there :D . I've previously mentioned my favourite English city name, Breedon On The Hill, which translates from three languages into hill hill on the hill :lol:
I can't believe that's your favourite English placename when it's literally only five miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2024, 04:13:32 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 29, 2024, 03:37:22 PMYou guys like to name things after hills over there :D . I've previously mentioned my favourite English city name, Breedon On The Hill, which translates from three languages into hill hill on the hill :lol:
I can't believe that's your favourite English placename when it's literally only five miles from Ashby-de-la-Zouch :P

Sounds too French :shifty:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

From the Young People Thread:
Quote from: Josquius on May 29, 2024, 04:04:03 PMThink of those graphs of primary, secondary, and tertiary employment.
Back in the mid 20th century industry was the main mass employer. These days it's, what, 10%? Whilst services have taken over.
This slightly made me think of this which I saw recently on how there was industrialisation (if not an industrial revolution) in England which basically shows up about 100 years earlier than I think you'd expect:

Also the huge rise in tertiary employment in the 19th century - I assume because it moves from labour intensive industry to capital intensive/machine based industry. But still the traditional image of the change in the 19th century isn't a massive explosion in service workers.

Edit: From here - which also has lots of very fun maps:
https://www.economiespast.org/
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Kind of amazed such a small percentage of Englishmen are in agriculture considering the intense romantic relationship they seem to have with having a farm in the country.

I guess that is why it is so romanticized: there are not very many farmers around to tell them it sucks.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2024, 06:19:08 PMKind of amazed such a small percentage of Englishmen are in agriculture considering the intense romantic relationship they seem to have with having a farm in the country.
Basically no-one wants a farm in the country :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2024, 06:22:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2024, 06:19:08 PMKind of amazed such a small percentage of Englishmen are in agriculture considering the intense romantic relationship they seem to have with having a farm in the country.
Basically no-one wants a farm in the country :blink:

Oh yeah? Oh good. The internet is full of Brits with rural idealism. Glad they are not representative.

"I just want a detached home in the country"

But maybe just living out there, not necessarily working.

Sheilbh

Yeah people want to live in the country sure as a holiday or retirement home - but it's normally more the country cottage kind of thing. This is very much not a working farm:

They're normally in villages too (you can see the next door neighbours' place in that photo). People want to live in a nice country cottage in a village with a lovely little church (which they don't attend), shop and pub (which they don't go to) and surrounded by beautifully manicured farmland (that, ideally, doesn't involve any smells or sounds).

I think if anything it shows British detachment from agriculture. They want the rural without the reality of rural life (or in any way contributing to it). It's the countryside as backdrop.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob