Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Sorry, what's the difference you're describing?
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Structural and chronological differences, you mentioned Spain and Portugal as if their slave trades were the same, at the same time, as the British ones (even for the French I would have reservations).

PS: judging by the last posts of this thread Olivier Pétré Grenouilleau's book: Les traites négrières, essai d'histoire globale does not seem to have been translated into English...
Tidiane N'Diaye's much more polemical The Veiled Genocide, was translated partially however.  :hmm:

Oexmelin

Current estimates, Atlantic slave trade.

Spain: 1M
Portugal/Brazil: 5.8M
UK: 3.2M
Netherlands: 0.5M
USA: 0.3M
France: 1.3M
Denmark: 0.1M

Peak trade:

Spain: 1826-1850
Portugal/Brazil: 1826-1850
UK: 1751-1775
Netherlands: 1751-1775
USA: 1801-1825
France: 1776-1801
Denmark: 1776-1801

Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

How can the peak trade for the US be 1800-1825 when they outlawed it in 1808?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Precisely because traders rushed to get as many slaves as they could before it became outlawed.

Biggest year for tHat time span was 1807 with 36k.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 29, 2023, 10:40:32 PMPrecisely because traders rushed to get as many slaves as they could before it became outlawed.

Biggest year for tHat time span was 1807 with 36k.

Ah ok I get it. It was just the 25 year period with the most slave trading, not that the trading happened during that entire period.

Kind of amazing they managed to do more trading in that 8 year period than the entire 1776-1800 period, war or no.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on April 28, 2023, 03:30:55 PMFair enough.
We are taking about people of note rather than just randomers who have a plantation owner ancestor here though.
I see no harm in these people apologising for the harm their ancestor caused.
The only possible downside I see is the HR/lawyer  one of potentially opening a can of wormy trouble for yourself.
As far as admitting your ancestor did a bad thing with slavery goes ... Seems pretty common sense to me.
Apologies for things you didn't actually do are disingenuous and tedious.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2023, 10:52:27 PMKind of amazing they managed to do more trading in that 8 year period than the entire 1776-1800 period, war or no.

Yup. 1800 to 1808 is a bit more than a third of the voyages originating from places now USA.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 29, 2023, 08:58:04 AMStructural and chronological differences, you mentioned Spain and Portugal as if their slave trades were the same, at the same time, as the British ones (even for the French I would have reservations).
There's definitely chronological differences - although that's not really the comparison I was meaning to draw. What's the structural difference though?
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on April 29, 2023, 11:09:59 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 28, 2023, 03:30:55 PMFair enough.
We are taking about people of note rather than just randomers who have a plantation owner ancestor here though.
I see no harm in these people apologising for the harm their ancestor caused.
The only possible downside I see is the HR/lawyer  one of potentially opening a can of wormy trouble for yourself.
As far as admitting your ancestor did a bad thing with slavery goes ... Seems pretty common sense to me.
Apologies for things you didn't actually do are disingenuous and tedious.

So German and Japanese politicians apologising for the war are pointless?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Just read a bit of coronation trivia: the whole thing is so well placed in modern times, that we'll have our Hindu Prime Minister read from the Bible as part of it.  :D

Considerably more stomach-turning is that people will be asked to recite an oath "with millions of voices". Luckily I have already sworn allegiance to Elizabeth II and her heirs so I have that covered.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 30, 2023, 08:11:47 AMConsiderably more stomach-turning is that people will be asked to recite an oath "with millions of voices". Luckily I have already sworn allegiance to Elizabeth II and her heirs so I have that covered.
:lol: Of course the section of Elizabeth's ceremony that's replacing is when the peers were asked to recite an oath - so the "homage of the peers" has been replaced with the "homage of the people" (almost Blairite).

And it will be for "all who so desire" - and I for one can't imagine anything more contemporary sacral than pledging allegiance at my TV screen :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

My eyes bleed at the thought of how hard the biffers will be at this.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

The Republicans seem a bit silly when they claim this is an offense to the people of Britain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on April 30, 2023, 09:21:34 AMThe Republicans seem a bit silly when they claim this is an offense to the people of Britain.
I am a very ideological republican - I think monarchy is fundamentally wrong and should be ended. But I do always think groups like Republic probably hurt more than help the cause and I find them quite embarassing :ph34r: They have very strong Liz Truss when she was a Lib Dem energy.

Also, I think because they get most attention during royal events, which are often bank holidays, and they spend their time moaning it they kind of play into the British association of republicans = puritans. They always slightly give off a bit of this vibe:
Let's bomb Russia!