Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on November 29, 2022, 02:14:46 PMMPs who would have been quarantined on the backbenches a decade ago get to be home secretary

A dig at Priti Patel? At Suella Braverman? At both?

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on November 29, 2022, 02:51:50 PM
Quote from: Zanza on November 29, 2022, 02:14:46 PMMPs who would have been quarantined on the backbenches a decade ago get to be home secretary

At Boris Johnson?

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on November 29, 2022, 03:23:13 PM

At Boris Johnson?

Boris has never been Home Secretary.

Gups

They are both dreadful

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on November 29, 2022, 12:33:43 PM
Quote from: Josquius on November 29, 2022, 09:46:45 AMI think there's a thing there where traditionally (YMMV with today's cunts) hindu is a very "soft" religion, only lightly tied into identity.
This means where 3rd generation Muslims who are about as Muslim as the Pope will still tick the Muslim box as its core to their identity whilst 3rd generation Hindus are just generic no religioners, being Asian is enough to sum up their difference.

Comijng from a Hindu background I can confirm tha this is complete nonsense. 3rd gen Hindus, whether religious or not, identify culturally as Hindu just as much as Muslims do.

I had no idea you were Asian.

I do recall reading there's a decent number of irreligious British Asians and they overwhelmingly come from Hindu rather than Muslim communities with Hindu background people being more likely to be well educated, to intermarry and go all in on integration.

If you've a different explanation then please do tell.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on November 29, 2022, 03:49:54 PM
Quote from: Gups on November 29, 2022, 12:33:43 PM
Quote from: Josquius on November 29, 2022, 09:46:45 AMI think there's a thing there where traditionally (YMMV with today's cunts) hindu is a very "soft" religion, only lightly tied into identity.
This means where 3rd generation Muslims who are about as Muslim as the Pope will still tick the Muslim box as its core to their identity whilst 3rd generation Hindus are just generic no religioners, being Asian is enough to sum up their difference.

Comijng from a Hindu background I can confirm tha this is complete nonsense. 3rd gen Hindus, whether religious or not, identify culturally as Hindu just as much as Muslims do.

I had no idea you were Asian.

I do recall reading there's a decent number of irreligious British Asians and they overwhelmingly come from Hindu rather than Muslim communities with Hindu background people being more likely to be well educated, to intermarry and go all in on integration.

If you've a different explanation then please do tell.

What would you like me to explain?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Interesting spot in the Guardian on the census that England's first majority (visible) minority cities are Leicester, Birmingham and, I think I'd add Luton if that counts as a city.

I know I probably shouldn't be but I'm a little surprised by Birmingham. It's another thing that makes me think the Midlands are really important and interesting and slightly overlooked in the North v South regional discourse :hmm:

London is about 45% visible minority across all the boroughs so will probably be majority minority at some point in the next 10 years.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

What do they mean by "visible"? Non-white?

This is going to sound terrible but I am not surprised by Birmingham. Not having been there ever, I only know it from news, which it only makes due to crimes, and in those they usually show mugshots of minorities, which I realise is terrible and unfair optics but it does mean I have not seen a white English person confirmedly hailing from Birmingham The only other time it made the news was the mosque-looking public library, I think.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2022, 04:55:22 AMWhat do they mean by "visible"? Non-white?
Yeah. So England and Wales are about 80% white, but it's 75% white British (Scottish/Welsh/English/Northern Irish). There minorities who are white but they're not visible minorities.

If it's just looking at white British v all other minorities then London has been majority minority for probably about 15 years (I think it's about 35% white British down from about 45% in 2011) and I imagine there'd be other cities too beyond just Birmingham, Leicester and Luton.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2022, 04:55:22 AMWhat do they mean by "visible"? Non-white?

This is going to sound terrible but I am not surprised by Birmingham. Not having been there ever, I only know it from news, which it only makes due to crimes, and in those they usually show mugshots of minorities, which I realise is terrible and unfair optics but it does mean I have not seen a white English person confirmedly hailing from Birmingham The only other time it made the news was the mosque-looking public library, I think.

*sad Ozzy noises*
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 30, 2022, 05:02:07 AM
Yeah. So England and Wales are about 80% white, but it's 75% white British (Scottish/Welsh/English/Northern Irish). There minorities who are white but they're not visible minorities.

If it's just looking at white British v all other minorities then London has been majority minority for probably about 15 years (I think it's about 35% white British down from about 45% in 2011) and I imagine there'd be other cities too beyond just Birmingham, Leicester and Luton.

I guess that makes me an audible minority.  :D