Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Sounds like Mordaunt backers pre-emptively conceding they haven't got the votes. After all that we're left with the two challengers you'd have predicted six months ago - and after forcing Johnson out, with a strong desire for a change candidate, the Tories are left with a choice of Johnson's Chancellor and his Foreign Secretary :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

So Sunak v Truss it is:
Quote5th round of Tory leadership

(Last round in brackets)

Mordaunt  105    (92)
Sunak   137  (118)
Truss   113  (86)

Edit: From Truss's Twitter - I assume she means hot the ground running :lol:
QuoteThank you for putting your trust in me.

I'm ready to hit the ground from day one.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

There is a feeling of inevitability about all this.

Zoupa

Truss is so violently, awkwardly English. I can't wait.

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2022, 10:09:54 AMSo Sunak v Truss it is:
Quote5th round of Tory leadership

(Last round in brackets)

Mordaunt  105    (92)
Sunak   137  (118)
Truss   113  (86)

Edit: From Truss's Twitter - I assume she means hot the ground running :lol:
QuoteThank you for putting your trust in me.

I'm ready to hit the ground from day one.

Sunak may rue the day he didn't 9 of his votes to switch to Penny. Sometimes the biggest risk you can take is playing it safe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 20, 2022, 10:50:11 AMThere is a feeling of inevitability about all this.
Maybe. She is the favourite. But it's really difficult to overstate how bad her polling is with the public. Apparently they're also adopting a postal and online ballot process but you can change your mind so the last vote counts.

I think that will help Sunak. As I suspect the story of the next six weeks will be excitement followed by growing concern at her unpopularity.

Edit: Also the latest example of vibes based politics that the commitment Brexiter (who was warned not to go for Leave by Cameron and Osborne if he had any ambitions) and was worrying about a Euro federal state as a teenager in 1997 is the more moderate/centrist candidate; while the former Lib Dem Republican who was an active Remain campaigner has been identified as the candidate of the right and ERG. It's Brexit as a vibe not a policy.

Edit: Also it feels like all the ingredients are there for a very nasty campaign.
Let's bomb Russia!

PJL

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2022, 12:43:19 PMEdit: Also the latest example of vibes based politics that the commitment Brexiter (who was warned not to go for Leave by Cameron and Osborne if he had any ambitions) and was worrying about a Euro federal state as a teenager in 1997 is the more moderate/centrist candidate; while the former Lib Dem Republican who was an active Remain campaigner has been identified as the candidate of the right and ERG. It's Brexit as a vibe not a policy.

Yes, Dominic Cummings has pointed this out as well (he's backing Sunak).

garbon

Quote from: PJL on July 20, 2022, 12:55:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2022, 12:43:19 PMEdit: Also the latest example of vibes based politics that the commitment Brexiter (who was warned not to go for Leave by Cameron and Osborne if he had any ambitions) and was worrying about a Euro federal state as a teenager in 1997 is the more moderate/centrist candidate; while the former Lib Dem Republican who was an active Remain campaigner has been identified as the candidate of the right and ERG. It's Brexit as a vibe not a policy.

Yes, Dominic Cummings has pointed this out as well (he's backing Sunak).

Why are people still reading what he has to say?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

A reminder of Truss's mad 2014 conference speech. She's done well to have any credibility after that - but you do feel a performance like this is always a possibility with her  :ph34r:
https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1549794712969744387?s=21&t=QmJo773a9nplbiQskF7V9g

It's incredible :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2022, 01:49:49 PMA reminder of Truss's mad 2014 conference speech. She's done well to have any credibility after that - but you do feel a performance like this is always a possibility with her  :ph34r:
https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1549794712969744387?s=21&t=QmJo773a9nplbiQskF7V9g

It's incredible :lol:

Its like she has a reminder on her speaking notes, in large letters - "look up and give a silly grin"

Sheilbh

I think she's somehow convinced herself all of these lines are going to be met with roars of approval :lol:

When, in fact, the response is best described as polite. Except for the mention of black pudding, which (correctly) got a cheer.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

So we want truss right? Just Johnson mark 2?
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

If Truss wins, expect the NIP to go and diplomatic fallout with EU and US.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on July 20, 2022, 01:59:56 PMSo we want truss right? Just Johnson mark 2?
I think either is very good for Labour to be honest. But I think with Truss you may have a historic loss like 1997.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on July 20, 2022, 01:59:56 PMSo we want truss right? Just Johnson mark 2?

No. I want what's best for the country not the Labour party in the next election. Sunak won't destroy the economy for a decade. Truss won't care if it gets her a good headline in the Mail.

It isn't a game.