Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on July 20, 2022, 02:27:58 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 20, 2022, 01:59:56 PMSo we want truss right? Just Johnson mark 2?
No. I want what's best for the country not the Labour party in the next election.

In the next election those two things are synonymous.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 20, 2022, 02:29:49 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 20, 2022, 01:59:56 PMSo we want truss right? Just Johnson mark 2?
No. I want what's best for the country not the Labour party in the next election.

I think it might depend what Kabour is actually doing. I'm not sure that would have been clear with Corbyn at the helm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

We have at leat two years before then. And we are in a proper bona fide crisis.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2022, 02:41:14 PM

I think it might depend what Kabour is actually doing. I'm not sure that would have been clear with Corbyn at the helm.

I agree with your last point.  That is why I specified "in the next election"  :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on July 20, 2022, 02:43:46 PM

We have at leat two years before then. And we are in a proper bona fide crisis.

Fair.

Josquius

No. I want what's best for the country not the Labour party in the next election. Sunak won't destroy the economy for a decade. Truss won't care if it gets her a good headline in the Mail.

It isn't a game.

What's worst for the tories is what's best for the country.
It's not a game indeed. Peoples lives have been ruined. Lost even.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 20, 2022, 02:58:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2022, 02:41:14 PM

I agree with your last point.  That is why I specified "in the next election"  :)

And again I raise that we don't know what Labour will be doing. Who is to say they don't pick a new ridiculous leader?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

There's no vacancy and not likely to be one. The centre left have control of the internal structure and are in the ascendancy - especially if Starmer wins the next election. They've also changed the rules to make a hard left winner less likely.

But it is fair that it's always a risk - but historically Labour's moments of madness happen when they're in opposition and decide it's time to disown their time in power and self- indulge :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2022, 03:08:36 PMThere's no vacancy and not likely to be one. The centre left have control of the internal structure and are in the ascendancy - especially if Starmer wins the next election. They've also changed the rules to make a hard left winner less likely.

But it is fair that it's always a risk - but historically Labour's moments of madness happen when they're in opposition and decide it's time to disown their time in power and self- indulge :bleeding:

Hopefully Corbyn was the last and we get voting reform and a proper far left party for people to vote for instead.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2022, 03:03:56 PMAnd again I raise that we don't know what Labour will be doing. Who is to say they don't pick a new ridiculous leader?

Is his position in doubt?

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on July 20, 2022, 03:02:19 PM

No. I want what's best for the country not the Labour party in the next election. Sunak won't destroy the economy for a decade. Truss won't care if it gets her a good headline in the Mail.

It isn't a game.

And you literally want it to get even more people's lives ruined or lost to increase Labour's chances at the next election. Have a word with yourself.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on July 20, 2022, 03:34:32 PM

It isn't a game.

And you literally want it to get even more people's lives ruined or lost to increase Labour's chances at the next election. Have a word with yourself.

Have a word with yourself.
I don't give a shit about labour. The tories however need to be gone ASAP.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on July 20, 2022, 03:35:55 PM
Quote from: Gups on July 20, 2022, 03:34:32 PM

It isn't a game.

Have a word with yourself.
I don't give a shit about labour. The tories however need to be gone ASAP.

But that is the problem Gups has identified.  They are not going to be gone ASAP.  Whoever the new leader is will have two years to really muck things up before an election is required.

Sheilbh

Mail is very strongly Truss (and they had a negative splash about Mordaunt every day for the last week I think). But looks like the Murdoch press are coming out behind Sunak. So far the right wing media's either been aiming at Sunak or Mordaunt - it feels like that's about to change. I'd be very surprised if the Murdoch press have not come up with a few scandals and hostile stories about Truss in the next month.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 20, 2022, 04:40:56 PMMail is very strongly Truss (and they had a negative splash about Mordaunt every day for the last week I think). But looks like the Murdoch press are coming out behind Sunak. So far the right wing media's either been aiming at Sunak or Mordaunt - it feels like that's about to change. I'd be very surprised if the Murdoch press have not come up with a few scandals and hostile stories about Truss in the next month.

It's too bad Monty Python didn't do a right wing splitters sketch.