Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on July 12, 2022, 05:58:24 AMIt is wonderful double standards that they're being really nice with him but will still jump at the chance to fuck over less famous people in the same situation.

Indeed, there have been several people sent to Jamaica (I believe?) after a literal lifetime in the UK because paperwork proving they had the right to stay was destroyed by the state.

I am glad they'll leave Farah alone but it is very clear the only reason for that is his fame.

The Brain

The UK is really weird about their class stuff.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on July 12, 2022, 06:00:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2022, 05:38:14 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 12, 2022, 05:12:06 AMSo... when's Priti sending him to Nigeria?

Someone didn't read the article.

Pfft, you believe that sentence? It's not like the conservatives never lie :D

It is as real as any other truth state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I would say the very essence of conservatism is that you get different rules applied if you have proven yourself worthy (by, say, becoming very famous/successful, or being conceived by the right sort of parents).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on July 12, 2022, 05:58:24 AMIt is wonderful double standards that they're being really nice with him but will still jump at the chance to fuck over less famous people in the same situation.
Yeah it relies on the Home Office.

There are protections for victims of modern slavery which this sounds like, but I'm not sure how strong they are. I remember - I think I posted it here - a story about a huge pot farm that got raided and was basically entirely worked by Vietnamese kids who'd been trafficked.

Actually there was a recent (split) Supreme Court decision on whether diplomatic immunity applied to modern slavery offences. They decided it didn't which is clearly just but, from what I've read, seems wrong on the law/how diplomatic immunity works.

Edit: Apparently the approach for him is also just what the law says. If people provide fraudulent docs or information in obtaining citizenship/right to remain then they can lose it - but if someone is under 18 when it happened then the assumption is that they were not complicit and no action should be taken.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Also story really hits home how important a teacher can be - especially in "non-academic" subjects like PE, art etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Patel doesn't have the numbers and has dropped out. Shapes also dropped out and endorsed Sunak.

Also endorsing Sunak - all the purely ambitious: Hancock, Williamson and Raab. Which inspires confidence :bleeding:

Edit: Incidentally Dorries and Rees-Mogg might get a job under Truss. Notable that a third of her backers are in the cabinet which suggests a possible divide between them and the rest of the party, but also that she's not just Johnson's "stop Sunak" candidate but maybe even continuity Johnson - which I'm not sure is a wise pitch at this point (eg that cabinet/backbench divide).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2022, 07:29:40 AMActually there was a recent (split) Supreme Court decision on whether diplomatic immunity applied to modern slavery offences. They decided it didn't which is clearly just but, from what I've read, seems wrong on the law/how diplomatic immunity works.

Why was this ruling necessary? Was some ambassador dealing on modern day slavery on the side?

Sheilbh

Yes - and not sure about criminal charges actually, it's to do with civil claims:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62062318

Filipino worker managed to escape and claim (successfully) that she was working in conditions of modern slavery for a Saudi diplomat.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 12, 2022, 09:19:59 AMYes - and not sure about criminal charges actually, it's to do with civil claims:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62062318

Filipino worker managed to escape and claim (successfully) that she was working in conditions of modern slavery for a Saudi diplomat.

I guess some people are simply committed to evil and being a Saudi diplomat just didn't cut it anymore.

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on July 12, 2022, 06:18:06 AM

Indeed, there have been several people sent to Jamaica (I believe?) after a literal lifetime in the UK because paperwork proving they had the right to stay was destroyed by the state.

I am glad they'll leave Farah alone but it is very clear the only reason for that is his fame.

Not that it was/is right but all of those deported to Jamaica had Jamaican nationalty and had been convicted of crimes with more than a year's prison sentence so not directly comparable to Mo.

Jacob

It's pretty intense, tearing up the list of his relatives contact information in front of his eyes. I wonder if he ever managed to connect with his family again? And whether the person who abducted him ever faced any repercussions?

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on July 12, 2022, 10:24:04 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 12, 2022, 06:18:06 AM

Not that it was/is right but all of those deported to Jamaica had Jamaican nationalty and had been convicted of crimes with more than a year's prison sentence so not directly comparable to Mo.

I take it that he meant the Windrushers.

Gups

Looks like its 5. Only one white man amongst them. I'm not really sure what to make of that.