Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 25, 2021, 11:39:46 AM
At a personal level I despise those 330ml bottles of beer....one just doesn't cut it and if you order another one where will it all end?

Though i did manage to contain my anger and vote remain anyway  ;)

BTW pint(568ml) bottles of beer were legal throughout our EU membership; I presume an exemption was agreed.

There is worse, the min-beers (20 or 25 cl).  :P

Don't recall ever seeing the 56,8 cl beer bottles but I found some imperial pint-size weißbier cans from Lithuania in Russia.  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 25, 2021, 11:44:48 AM
At a personal level I despise those 330ml bottles of beer....one just doesn't cut it and if you order another one where will it all end?

BTW pint(568ml) bottles of beer were legal throughout our EU membership; I presume an exemption was agreed.

Don't recall ever seeing the 56,8 cl beer bottles but I found some imperial pint-size weißbier cans from Lithuania in Russia.  :hmm:

They certainly used to serve 20cl beers in German bars and beergardens; and i was fine with them  :cool:

It is the 330ml bottle that attracts my ire  :P

Josquius

Beer must be a major exception when you think of the weird and wonderful varieties Belgian beer is served in. And the Dutch practice of every bar serving a random size of beer
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 25, 2021, 11:54:14 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 25, 2021, 11:44:48 AM

They certainly used to serve 20cl beers in German bars and beergardens; and i was fine with them  :cool:

It is the 330ml bottle that attracts my ire  :P

Only saw 20 cl beer glass for kölsch bier, from Cologne. The "large" one was 40 cl.

Tamas

0.3l is indeed not good for am evening out, but I have found it quite ideal for home consumption.

Admiral Yi

I'm guessing that's a pony?  Someone told me once they served ponies at their wedding reception, because wedding guests have a strong tendency to leave half finished beers all over the place.  I thought that was clever.

Sheilbh

Massive MRP poll now projecting a Labour majority :mmm:

Just need to get rid of/target the SNP after 14 years in power too and it'd be a very good majority too.

Also given the nature of the poll this isn't necessarily all about swing but Labour expanding who's voting for them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 25, 2021, 02:33:30 PM

I'm guessing that's a pony?  Someone told me once they served ponies at their wedding reception, because wedding guests have a strong tendency to leave half finished beers all over the place.  I thought that was clever.

They are fine if there is a pack in the fridge or an unlimited supply at a wedding reception. I just find them a very irritating size if I want to have a beer when having lunch out.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 25, 2021, 03:01:34 PM
They are fine if there is a pack in the fridge or an unlimited supply at a wedding reception. I just find them a very irritating size if I want to have a beer when having lunch out.

Sure, I can't imagine ordering one at a pub or restaurant.  Don't think I've ever seen a place carrying them.

Zanza

330ml is not a pony bottle, but almost exactly the same volume as the usual 12 fl.oz. (=355ml) bottles of beer sold in the United States. I guess Americans get one sip more per bottle, but hardly a big difference.

PS: That's why you should use metric and not random sizes like "pony" or "pint" or so.

Sheilbh

Standard bit of generational warfare in a Times column by a 28 year old v the comments - and one screenshotted comment that's doing the rounds pointing out that boomers didn't have it easy it and weren't just born at the "right time". What they went through includes the three day week, 20% inflation and the Vietnam War.

Feel like that Bismarck line - the most important fact in British politics in the 21st century is that America speaks English :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Who can forget the heroic sacrifice of the British Grenadiers at Khe Sanh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

I'm sure I've mentioned this before. It is bizzare and annoying quite how much gammon copy and paste American talking points seemingly without noticing.
Then turn around and throw a fit that people are just copying America with BLM.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Does the EU really legislate bottle sizes? Could this be a result of 33 and 50 cl being far more convenient for the breweries and the EU getting the blame?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Threviel on December 27, 2021, 03:53:00 AM
Does the EU really legislate bottle sizes? Could this be a result of 33 and 50 cl being far more convenient for the breweries and the EU getting the blame?

I don't think they regulate beer bottle sizes; certainly there were pint bottles of beer available in the UK during the EU membership period.

However, it appears that the EU does regulate wine bottle sizes and this interfered with a British preference for a pint-sized bottle :

https://rathfinnyestate.com/about/news/the-pint-bottle-is-the-perfect-measure/