Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2020, 07:11:49 AM
Business model of make espresso, dilute with water, flavour with half a bucket of sugar, sell for 4 pounds not working anymore. :(

Well not when your customers are at home. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Five coffees per day, you say?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 04, 2020, 07:11:49 AM
Business model of make espresso, dilute with water, flavour with half a bucket of sugar, sell for 4 pounds not working anymore. :(
I mean the business model of two stores per street always seemed unsustainable to me :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Syt

I've severely reduced my coffee intake. I'm down to one mug in the morning, and the occasional cup after lunch.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I drink 30oz of coffee a day.

I find it's a good balance between not enough caffeine & too much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2020, 08:45:47 AM
I've severely reduced my coffee intake. I'm down to one mug in the morning, and the occasional cup after lunch.

I used to have 2, sometimes just even one. But with the damn pandemic I've increased consumption considerably just because of all the time I spend at home.

Sheilbh

I have two coffees in the morning at home and one at lunch in the park/cafe.

Because I was injured before the pandemic (so have been primarily stuck in my house since the end of January :lol: :weep:). But a consequence of that was I couldn't like make a cup of tea/coffee and bring it to the living room to watch TV because crutches. And one of the best purchases I made was a good teapot - and some fancy green teas so I could have that in the living room with a flask of hot water. So I move to green tea in the afternoon and it's a weirdly pleasing moment every day making my afternoon brew - I don't know why but it's just a nice little routine.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 04, 2020, 08:47:35 AM

I used to have 2, sometimes just even one. But with the damn pandemic I've increased consumption considerably just because of all the time I spend at home.

For me it's the other way around,  working from home I only have one or two per day.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on September 04, 2020, 09:05:33 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 04, 2020, 08:47:35 AM

For me it's the other way around,  working from home I only have one or two per day.

I've purposefully cut myself down to two teas a day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on September 04, 2020, 09:05:33 AM

That's part of it. I'm tempted to drink more coffee at the office, because using the Nespresso machine is a lot easier and faster than grinding coffee at home and making it in the french press. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Looks like they are going ahead with the appointment of Tony Abbott. Johnson said this which I kind of agree with:
Quote"I obviously don't agree with those sentiments at all but then I don't agree with everyone who serves the government in an unpaid capacity on hundreds of boards across the country and I can't be expected to do so."

I am surprised that a guy who was PM of Australia 5 years ago is considered so violently misogynist and homophobic that he's beyond the pale of public life in the UK. I get the misogyny point, but all I know about that is Julia Gillard's (excellent) viral speech in the House of Representatives.

When I searched for his homophobic remarks it's that he's anti-gay marriage (which, I mean, Merkel is anti-gay marriage - I don't think she's homophobic) but he did support Australia's referendum on the issue. From what I can see on Sky this is the evidence of his homophobia - to me it seems like pretty thin gruel:
QuoteThey say he described himself as being "threatened by homosexuality" and "vigorously" campaigned against legalising same-sex marriage in Australia.

And I find it kind of weird - and possibly slightly telling - that we've whipped ourselves up into a lather about his social views when surely the bigger issue is that there's no sign he's actually particularly competent to do the job? :mellow: :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Small state thinktankers freaking out about reports on governments thinking. Basically:

Further on in the article (Times so paywalled) they talk about basically tech-autarky as a goal. They want domestic UK suppliers for all important tech infrastructure.

Combined with the new plans for the control room (last seen in Gordon Brown's administration, which is a reassuring precedent) and it feels like we really are heading for full-blown Tory Project Cybersyn.

I, for one, am looking forward to my British Leyland laptop :weep: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

With the new ability to spy and fuck with country's through their tech infrastructure I could see this kind of thing happening all over the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2020, 03:49:14 PM
With the new ability to spy and fuck with country's through their tech infrastructure I could see this kind of thing happening all over the world.
The recent experiences with China - both supply chain, retaliation for our policy on Hong Kong, Huawei etc - are, I imagine, definitely shaping this. But British experience of our ability to research and make products we actually want to use is.....questionable at best :lol:

I understand the UK is also really pushing a D-10 (UK sponsored summit of democracies so the G7 plus Australia, India and Korea) which I actually is possibly a good idea and they're proposing coordinating within that on tech projects/infrastructure. But it's another of those foreign policy decisions where I'm actually pleasantly surprised to think there's a good idea here - especially given the last 8 months I think it probably is helpful to have a forum that doesn't only include Japan from APAC.
Let's bomb Russia!