Cape Breton island welcomes American refugees

Started by viper37, February 18, 2016, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Huh. It almost sounds like they are serious.

Sorry Cape Breton. I have already started saving up for my home in Trois-Rivières. And judging from that map earlier I will not have to save up for long!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2016, 12:52:19 PM
Very funny :)

What it doesn't point out is that Americans can't simply move to Canada - there's a whole immigration process to go through.

And it doesn't mention that the reason Cape Breton needs people is because everyone keeps leaving because there's no work.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Hey I know that Island! That is where Louisbourg was correct? An important place to set up shop in EU2.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2016, 01:02:30 PM
What it doesn't point out is that Americans can't simply move to Canada - there's a whole immigration process to go through.

And it doesn't mention that the reason Cape Breton needs people is because everyone keeps leaving because there's no work.

I am sure they only want Americans who are independently wealthy.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2016, 01:02:30 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2016, 12:52:19 PM
Very funny :)

Actually, if you click on the FAQ, it mentions both (but attempts to put a good spin on them).

3 - How do I immigrate to Canada?

The process has changed, some people say it is much less complex, get started here:

4 - What jobs are available?

It is true, unemployment is high here, but some areas are growing, and some skilled workers are in demand!  Our current jobs listings can be found here and

5 - Tell me more about Cape Breton Island

The fine folks at destination Cape Breton would be happy to answer any questions you have about Cape Breton, find them here

6 - What is the housing situation in Cape Breton?

You'll find it one of the, if not the most affordable in North America!  Check the latest listings here

7 - Why are you doing this?

Our population is shrinking.  A slow economy, in combination with out-migration has us on an unsustainable path.  The truth is we welcome all, no matter the ideology.  We have a beautiful island, a friendly people, a rich culture and a bright future.  Join us here on Cape Breton Island!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I love how they have a shrinking population and economy and are on the path to disaster...yet their future is bright!

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2016, 01:06:51 PM
I love how they have a shrinking population and economy and are on the path to disaster...yet their future is bright!

That's the "spin" part.  ;)

The future is bright ... because you will move there!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Heh I wonder if this thing is actually attracting any legitimate interest from actual Americans.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2016, 01:18:26 PM
Heh I wonder if this thing is actually attracting any legitimate interest from actual Americans.

Americans are constantly threatening to move to Canada when Trump/Bush/Obama/Whomever win the Presidency so best to get your branding out there. 'Murica Island they will someday call it.

Berkut

If I was going to move, it would be to somewhere warmer, but other than that if I thought I could get equivalent employment, I would consider moving to Canada.

Although not really because of Trump, of course.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on February 18, 2016, 01:24:45 PM

If I was going to move, it would be to somewhere warmer, but other than that if I thought I could get equivalent employment, I would consider moving to Canada.

The whole employment thing is the root of the problem.  ;)

Atlantic Canada is incredibly pretty; its weather not really that bad; its people are polite and friendly ... but there is fuck all to do there. Which is why people move away, and not to

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on February 18, 2016, 01:24:45 PM

Vancouver is warmer than New York. Barely.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 18, 2016, 01:28:55 PM
Vancouver is warmer than New York. Barely.

Vancouver is nice, but everyone has already thought of that, and its real estate market is notoriously insane. Atlantic Canada is a lot more appealing on the real estate front - because hardly anyone there has jobs*, so everything is super duper cheap.

*Slight exaggeration. ;)