Philippines to Elect Asian Donald Trump?

Started by alfred russel, May 09, 2016, 12:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I thought about pretending to know stuff about this guy, but really I just saw this John Oliver segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N49D3tmjS94

And it seems he is actually set to win.

So...is this the point the world has gone mad? Perhaps there is a model with:

a) joy from LOL at trolling leaders, vs.
b) per capita impact of bad policies,

And we are reaching the global point where:
a) media and internet saturation maximizes joy from trolling leaders, while
b) large populations, the global economy, and a global consensus on many issues reduces the risk of bad policies

And thus democracy fails?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Phillip V

False.  United States to Elect American Rodrigo Duterte.

Barrister

Well Trump-like leaders have been elected pretty frequently in developing countries.  Trump has been called a caudillo candidate by more than a few.  Trump's candidacy also bears a lot of similarity to Berlusconi in Italy.

But also... politics have always been a bit wonky in the Phillippines.  The current president is the son of former president Cory Acquino.  A prior president, Joseph Estrada, was a film star before entering into politics (and was removed from office for corruption three years later).

The outrage at Trump was thinking that these kinds of antics might work in some developing country, but not a "mature democracy" like the US.  Guess not though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2016, 12:43:20 PM
but not a "mature democracy" like the US.

Mature? We elected Jesse "The Body" Ventura to a governorship.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2016, 01:06:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2016, 12:43:20 PM
but not a "mature democracy" like the US.

Mature? We elected Jesse "The Body" Ventura to a governorship.

"We"?  I didn't vote in Minnesota.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on May 09, 2016, 01:47:18 PM

But if you did vote in Minnesota you would have also sent Stuart Smalley to the Senate :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 09, 2016, 01:55:11 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 09, 2016, 01:47:18 PM

But if you did vote in Minnesota you would have also sent Stuart Smalley to the Senate :P

But only by the slimmest of margins, and after a re-count.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.