And we're back!

Main Menu

Scalia found dead at West Texas Ranch

Started by OttoVonBismarck, February 13, 2016, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 25, 2016, 01:32:27 PM
Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2016, 07:38:20 AM
Could this Sandoval fellow refuse the nomination? Or you just don't do that?

Apparently he pulled himself out from contention.  :sleep:

Probably holding out for more money.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

HisMajestyBOB

I'd be surprised if anyone was willing to be nominated in this climate. I would have picked Sandoval as being most likely to accept nomination, since he has political aspirations he can fall back on - Governor, Senator, maybe future VP/Pres run. For other potential nominees like Sri Srinivasan, why would you let yourself get stonewalled, demonized, and ultimately rejected for partisan reasons?

If When Hillary wins, if the GOP still controls the Senate, I wonder what reason they'll come up with for refusing to hear her nominees? They'll probably point out how the Constitution says "he shall nominate ... judges of the Supreme Court", not "she", ergo Hillary is constitutionally ineligible to appoint Supreme Court justices.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

alfred russel

It makes sense to pull himself from the nominating battle if he didn't think he would be confirmed.

He would probably be destroyed as a republican in the fight and wouldn't be able to win a republican primary again.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 25, 2016, 02:09:22 PM
I'd be surprised if anyone was willing to be nominated in this climate. I would have picked Sandoval as being most likely to accept nomination, since he has political aspirations he can fall back on - Governor, Senator, maybe future VP/Pres run. For other potential nominees like Sri Srinivasan, why would you let yourself get stonewalled, demonized, and ultimately rejected for partisan reasons?

If When Hillary wins, if the GOP still controls the Senate, I wonder what reason they'll come up with for refusing to hear her nominees? They'll probably point out how the Constitution says "he shall nominate ... judges of the Supreme Court", not "she", ergo Hillary is constitutionally ineligible to appoint Supreme Court justices.

Does the US Constitution actually contemplate a female president? The originalist crowd could run with that.  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

I would think that being nominated and stalled in this adminstration would tend to put you on the short list for Hillary's.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2016, 02:42:33 PM
Does the US Constitution actually contemplate a female president? The originalist crowd could run with that.  :hmm:

I think they would recognize that the proper pronoun in the English language for a person of unknown gender is "he".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2016, 03:07:05 PM
I would think that being nominated and stalled in this adminstration would tend to put you on the short list for Hillary's.

Probably not if he picked a compromise candidate though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 25, 2016, 03:10:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2016, 03:07:05 PM

Probably not if he picked a compromise candidate though.

I think that Hillary would be likely to pick a compromise candidate in any case.  She has always struck me as being more interested in governing than grandstanding.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I don't think there is really any chance that Hillary would pick a candidate already picked by Obama. She would almost certainly want *her* candidate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2016, 09:01:29 PM
I don't think there is really any chance that Hillary would pick a candidate already picked by Obama. She would almost certainly want *her* candidate.

The list of people suitable isn't infinite.  I could see her nominating the same candidate, for the same reasons, as Obama.  They are not that far apart politically.  There differences are mostly personal:  he's more charismatic, and she's more decisive.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2016, 09:17:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2016, 09:01:29 PM

The list of people suitable isn't infinite.  I could see her nominating the same candidate, for the same reasons, as Obama.  They are not that far apart politically.  There differences are mostly personal:  he's more charismatic, and she's more decisive.

I don't think it unlikely from the standpoint of ideology, just that New President Clinton would not want to be seen as just rubber-stamping "Obama's" candidate, rather than making that decision herself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2016, 05:12:17 PM
I think that Hillary would be likely to pick a compromise candidate in any case.  She has always struck me as being more interested in governing than grandstanding.

Until you piss her off and her emotions take over.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2016, 12:39:32 AM

There's a lot of LBJ in her.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2016, 12:39:32 AM

I'd goof on your usual castration complex-fueled misogyny, but she's got bigger stones than you anyway.

Reallly is a shame how your mother made you pee sitting down, though.  That had to make the locker room very difficult.