News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2017, 11:11:55 PM
FSU won the game. You want to say that Michigan is the better team now?

I might be willing to say Michigan was a better team before the Iowa game, when the qb got squished.

alfred russel

Quote from: katmai on January 10, 2017, 11:12:59 PM
And best defensive player didn't even play.

But I'm sure if you aged the Seminoles they are awesome.

What you and Yi are ignoring is that they actually played in the past couple weeks and FSU won. I don't know that they are awesome but they were at least better than Michigan.

If you want to enter a hypothetical world of what would have happened had they played earlier in the season, it is you guys that are aging (or deaging in this case) the teams. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: PDH on January 10, 2017, 11:03:53 PM
Wyoming won more games this year than the last two years combined.  Best stat ever.

I watched them beat the snot out of Nevada. (Coach got fired btw).
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Although it was pleasant when they beat Boise.  :D

grumbler

The interesting part about Dorsey's argument isn't that he argues FSU is a better team than Michigan because they won head-to-head; I think that point is obvious (though it is a team JUST BARELY better than Michigan).  The interesting thing is that he rejects advanced statistics when they deliver a message that he does not like, and adores them when they agree with his preconceptions.

Stats are stats.  You can argue with some definitions used in advanced stats (like when "garbage time" should start), but the results wouldn't change if you changed a few definitions.  They just are what they are.  They can be interesting, but they are never as interesting as the weaseling people like Dorsey engage in when they don't like the stats.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Did you guys know that Ken Dorsey is the QB coach for the panthers now?

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on January 11, 2017, 09:58:56 AM
The interesting part about Dorsey's argument isn't that he argues FSU is a better team than Michigan because they won head-to-head; I think that point is obvious (though it is a team JUST BARELY better than Michigan).  The interesting thing is that he rejects advanced statistics when they deliver a message that he does not like, and adores them when they agree with his preconceptions.

Stats are stats.  You can argue with some definitions used in advanced stats (like when "garbage time" should start), but the results wouldn't change if you changed a few definitions.  They just are what they are.  They can be interesting, but they are never as interesting as the weaseling people like Dorsey engage in when they don't like the stats.

I'm not opposed to advanced statistics. I just think that statistical analysis needs to be connected to reality. A guy sitting at the bar saying that the Michigan defense was so good that an average P5 team wouldn't score a point against them would be both a homer and a dumbass. The guy citing "advanced statistics" to say the same thing doesn't change that assessment.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 11, 2017, 10:02:41 AM
Did you guys know that Ken Dorsey is the QB coach for the panthers now?

He has done an awesome job. This year wasn't great, but he really helped Cam Newton improve last year.

Dorsey is having a good run in football. National champion QB, runner up for heisman trophy, multi year NFL career, and now an NFL assistant on the move.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2017, 10:41:02 AM
I'm not opposed to advanced statistics. I just think that statistical analysis needs to be connected to reality. A guy sitting at the bar saying that the Michigan defense was so good that an average P5 team wouldn't score a point against them would be both a homer and a dumbass. The guy citing "advanced statistics" to say the same thing doesn't change that assessment.

:lol:  Let the weaseling continue!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

And Ohio State loses half its secondary to the draft. Bleh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 11, 2017, 08:09:46 PM

They must've left early.  Like New Years' Eve.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2017, 08:12:05 PM

They must've left early.  Like New Years' Eve.

Heh. Malik Hooker did. I'M GONNA GET PAID. FUCK THIS SHIT

katmai

UDub lost 3/4 of theirs.  :glare:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

At least Peppers at Michigan went pro. Tired of his punk ass in the Big Ten.

PDH

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 11, 2017, 09:52:49 AM
Although it was pleasant when they beat Boise.  :D

I did too.  I watch the end of that game again from time to time.  :)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM