News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

alfred russel

I suspect they will all stay in the top 5, except perhaps Washington who might fall to 6.

Most interesting angle from my point of view: Ohio State no longer controls its own destiny in the Big 10. Even if they beat Michigan, if Penn State can beat Rutgers and Michigan State, then Penn State will be division champs.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Why is that interesting? Penn State beat Ohio State.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2016, 12:11:38 AM
Why is that interesting? Penn State beat Ohio State.

Because Penn State isn't a good football team, and imo Ohio State and Michigan are.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

If Penn St can go 7-1 in their division, they must be a pretty good team.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 13, 2016, 12:26:12 AM

Or their division really sucks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Texas lost at home while forcing four turnovers. Credit to that WV defense, that is no small achievement against anybody.

Another black eye for Strong. He really needs to beat TCU I think.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2016, 12:26:43 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 13, 2016, 12:26:12 AM

Or their division really sucks.

Their division really sucks, except for Ohio State and Michigan. The best team besides those three is Indiana, who they almost lost to today. They lost to Michigan by 39.

They did beat Ohio State. I watched that game. I really think if they played that game 10 times Ohio State would be 9-1.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2016, 12:27:42 AM
Texas lost at home while forcing four turnovers. Credit to that WV defense, that is no small achievement against anybody.

If he wins out, not even necessarily including a bowl game depending on who they play and how it goes, I want Charlie to stay.  The defense has legitimately improved since he took over for Vance and it really seems like they're getting set up for something good.  They still make dumbass newguy mistakes every once in a while (turn your head around and look for the ball Boyd, c'mon), but they can actually nut up and make stops when they need to now. 

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 13, 2016, 01:18:44 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2016, 12:27:42 AM

If he wins out, not even necessarily including a bowl game depending on who they play and how it goes, I want Charlie to stay.  The defense has legitimately improved since he took over for Vance and it really seems like they're getting set up for something good.  They still make dumbass newguy mistakes every once in a while (turn your head around and look for the ball Boyd, c'mon), but they can actually nut up and make stops when they need to now. 

I think that even if they let Strong go, they should probably give consideration to keeping the offensive staff.  I think Buechele is a legit talent, and switching offensive systems and coaches might disrupt his development.  OTOH, maybe he needs someone new to help him progress.  Tough call, but I think I'd opt for stability unless there's good evidence that the current staff can't properly develop a QB, and I don't see that evidence.

And Texas is almost certainly going to become bowl-eligible, given that they need 1 more win and play Kansas next.

alfred russel

I think an interesting question is what will the playoff rankings look like next week?

My prediction:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Clemson
5. Washington
6 Louisville

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on November 13, 2016, 09:33:40 AM
I think an interesting question is what will the playoff rankings look like next week?

My prediction:

1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
3. Michigan
4. Clemson
5. Washington
6 Louisville

I'd predict the same top 4, but I think they'll put Louisville 5 and Washington 6.  Note that that's a prediction, not what I think the rankings should be.  The way it should be, IMO, is:

1)  Alabama
2)  Michigan
3)  Ohio State
4)  Washington
5)  Clemson
6)  Louisville

Not that this week's rankings actually mean anything, because assuming that the Michigan/Ohio State game is essentially a toss-up, and there are no more upsets, the playoff teams IMO should be winner of that game, plus Alabama, Clemson, and Washington.  I wouldn't put it past the committee to slip Louisville in there ahead of Washington, though.  And of course, we can't just assume that they'll be no more upsets.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

You just noticed that?  Shame you missed it. :console: Arguably the best game of the day.

derspiess

I fell asleep on that game early in the 3rd quarter.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall