News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

So speaking of HUDL, I just got my last game put up, and this is the first year where the officials have been given access to review our calls and we are getting graded on them.

I threw three flags on Saturday, and looking at those three plays I think 2 of them were probably not great calls. :( Be interesting to see how the grader evaluates them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on September 06, 2016, 06:44:42 PM
Can't we all just go back to talking about how friggin' awesome Wyoming is?

They could probably go undefeated in Spiess's kid's league.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 06, 2016, 05:18:40 PM
That is the point. This isn't a higher level. It is YOUTH football. These kids are 10-13.

Well, mostly 8 and 9 actually :D

QuoteAnd as spicey described the play("decorated")  the hit was possibly illegal by high school rules anyway.

Defensive player was pursuing the ball carrier & was still in the play.  My lineman hustled to get downfield with the play, got a good angle on him and hit him from the front.  Unless you're of the opinion that all downfield blocks should be illegal, this one was clean.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2016, 07:48:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 06, 2016, 05:18:40 PM
That is the point. This isn't a higher level. It is YOUTH football. These kids are 10-13.

Well, mostly 8 and 9 actually :D

So the idea that you had to put in your stud blitzing starting defense to "send a message" to 8 year olds is that much more awesome! I bet you sure showed them!

QuoteAnd as spicey described the play("decorated")  the hit was possibly illegal by high school rules anyway.

Defensive player was pursuing the ball carrier & was still in the play.  My lineman hustled to get downfield with the play, got a good angle on him and hit him from the front.  Unless you're of the opinion that all downfield blocks should be illegal, this one was clean.

Not sure where to start.

Not all downfield blocks from the front are "clean" or legal. You should crack a rule book now and then.

For example, blocking below the waist could be illegal, chop blocking would be illegal as well. Just because it is from the front doesn't automatically make it legal.

Do you keep up with the changes to high school rules about excessive contact over the last couple of years?

Does your youth league use high school rules to begin with?

The rules have changed. Excessive contact is illegal regardless of anything else, and the way you described it (he de-cleated him) has been specifically called out as defining excessive contact, especially when it is coming against a player who doesn't see the block coming.

I know it is really cool to see eight year old kids get laid out on "clean" blocks, but this is a play that we've been trying to get out of the game, because it has a high incidence of concussion and injury. And a concussion in a eight year old is probably (or should be) the end of their football career.

It's frustrating when you see high schools working hard to get these kinds of plays out, but the kids come in from youth thinking it is ok because their Dad-coach told them that was good clean ESPN Sportscenter football.

I would have to see it of course, and you said the call was a block in the back anyway, so not the right call if it was being called excessive.

You said you had this on film - care to share it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 06, 2016, 04:19:46 PM
There are plenty of coaches, most of them in fact, who take the game with an appropriate level of seriousness, who can deal with other coaches and officials with respect and consideration, and who teach their kids sportsmanship, respect for the game, and love of the sport without any need to act out or yell at anyone.

Show me a coach that doesn't yell at anyone and I'll show you a losing team.  Even at the youth level.

QuoteAn official made a mistake? So what. THAT is a teaching moment as well. And what those kids were taught was that if someone makes a mistake, the way to act is with anger and screaming and yelling. They internalize that just like they internalize all the other teaching that is happening all the time when you decide it is necessary to "send a message" or yell at the official, or punch in TD number 5 and 6 and 7 to prove that you are the better coach/parent/football dad.

After the first offensive & defensive series of the 2nd half, we put our subs back in.  Hell, on our last TD drive we had kids running the ball that had zero game experience as backs.  The other team's coaches accused us of running up the score, but I'm not gonna tell our subs to run half speed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 06, 2016, 07:53:54 PM
So the idea that you had to put in your stud blitzing starting defense to "send a message" to 8 year olds is that much more awesome! I bet you sure showed them!

Sent a message to the other team's coaches.  I actually felt bad for the other team's players, and from that angle I felt bad that we blitzed as much as we did.  But it's still early in the season and we need all the practice we can get.

QuoteDo you keep up with the changes to high school rules about excessive contact over the last couple of years?

Does your youth league use high school rules to begin with?

I think we use modified high school rules. 

dps

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2016, 08:02:39 PM

You don't know what rules you use?!?

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 06, 2016, 07:53:54 PM
The rules have changed. Excessive contact is illegal regardless of anything else, and the way you described it (he de-cleated him) has been specifically called out as defining excessive contact, especially when it is coming against a player who doesn't see the block coming.

My lineman pushed the kid in the chest.  That's it.

QuoteYou said you had this on film - care to share it?

Nah. Maybe I'll see if I can do a screen grab or two, though.

derspiess

Quote from: dps on September 06, 2016, 08:05:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2016, 08:02:39 PM

You don't know what rules you use?!?

I know the league rules we use, and I think they are based on Ohio high school football rules.

MadBurgerMaker

So...how bout those latest polls?  :P

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 06, 2016, 08:39:25 PM
So...how bout those latest polls?  :P

It was a fun first week, but man I'm already tired of hearing playoff projections.  Let the season progress FFS.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2016, 08:52:38 PM
but man I'm already tired of hearing playoff projections.

No shit;  it was August a week ago.  Christ, people.   :lol:

derspiess

Re: the polls specifically, it does warm my heart to see that one AP voter in West Virginia continuing to cast a vote for WVU.  Because, you know-- people there probably know who he is and where he lives.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on September 06, 2016, 09:29:49 PM
Re: the polls specifically, it does warm my heart to see that one AP voter in West Virginia continuing to cast a vote for WVU.  Because, you know-- people there probably know who he is and where he lives.

The thundering Turd is better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

I was about to say...anybody want to talk about NCAA football? :P

Houston is sure picking a good time to be awesome. Right when the Big 12 is thinking expansion.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."