News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2016, 12:44:13 PM
Effective ones aren't.

Bernie didn't say anything about effective ones.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 12:41:34 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2016, 12:38:24 PM
Nah. Hardly anyone chooses war when their objectives can be reached by other means.

Yup.  Alternative resorts are infinite.

Are you arguing that it is impossible under any circumstances for any problem to boil down to "the last resort" because there are infinite alternative resorts in all problems, or are you arguing that only Bernie Sanders' military policy cannot ever reach the last resort, or something else?  Right now, your comments and arguments seem to be purely rhetorical.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 12:45:29 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2016, 12:44:13 PM
Effective ones aren't.

Bernie didn't say anything about effective ones.
:huh:  Seriously?  This is going to be your argument?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 12:41:34 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2016, 12:38:24 PM
Nah. Hardly anyone chooses war when their objectives can be reached by other means.

Yup.  Alternative resorts are infinite.

Now you're being silly. There's an infinite supply of alternatives, but everyone has one that they consider the last one whether it's "you're actively attacking our country and killing our citizens" or "we asked you once to change your government and you haven't."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2016, 12:49:45 PM
Now you're being silly. There's an infinite supply of alternatives, but everyone has one that they consider the last one whether it's "you're actively attacking our country and killing our citizens" or "we asked you once to change your government and you haven't."

I don't have a last resort in either of those situations.

DGuller

Yi has declared war on the "last resort" phrase.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 12:52:15 PM

Maybe I phrased my point poorly - it was that everyone bar extreme pacifists have a point where they think war is the only viable resort. Sanders' statement that he considers war a last resort means that there are relatively fewer situations where he'd consider war an appropriate response, not that there are none. And you know that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2016, 12:56:14 PM
Maybe I phrased my point poorly - it was that everyone bar extreme pacifists have a point where they think war is the only viable resort. Sanders' statement that he considers war a last resort means that there are relatively fewer situations where he'd consider war an appropriate response, not that there are none. And you know that.

I do not.

Obama distinguished between smart wars and dumb wars.  Bernie does not.  War is *always* the last resort.  Those are his words.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 12:59:41 PM
I do not.

Obama distinguished between smart wars and dumb wars.  Bernie does not.  War is *always* the last resort.  Those are his words.

Are you unaware that war of last resort is a pretty significant part of the ethics of war and the concept of the just war? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/war/just/lastresort.shtml & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory

For example, stalwarts such as Colin Powell and Donald Rumsfeld used the concept as they justified the second Gulf War.

Quote from: Colin Powell"War should be the politics of last resort.  And when we go to war, we should have a purpose that our people understand and support."
(Secretary of State, former Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff)
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/c/colinpowel169242.html

Quote from: Donald RumsfeldRumsfeld: Sure. Exactly. But war has to be the last resort and I was hopeful to the very end that the president and the United States and the coalition would be successful in getting Saddam Hussein to either acquiesce and agree with the United Nations or leave the country, or that he could be killed at Dora farms in that first attack... He wasn't there.
http://mondoweiss.net/2012/06/war-should-be-the-last-resort-donald-rumsfeld/

Is there a particular reason you're choosing to interpret Sanders' use of an established philosophical phrase outside of the context in which it is normally used?

Admiral Yi

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on February 15, 2016, 12:56:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 12:52:15 PM

Yes, but in the language of politics, when you say war is the last resort, you usually mean you are a pacifist.

Eddie Teach

On the contrary, it's a platitude that even hawks like Rumsfeld agree with.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2016, 01:52:39 PM

I agree with this 100%.  I think that anyone arguing that war was NOT the last resort would be widely seen as mentally or morally defective.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2016, 01:52:39 PM

So we go back to what he has said about specific cases, and in that he seems very pacifist. Thinks that ISIS should be taken care of locally, for example, and wants the US to stay out.

Just because the specific meaning of particular words can be parsed to mean almost anything (or more often nothing at all) doesn't mean that we MUST do that. When someone asks a bunch of politicians what they think about a particular use of military power, you can contrast their responses to glean out where they stand, even if looking at those responses in isolation could be interpreted differently.

"Should we invade Iraq?"

A: Saddam has refused our demands, and we have no choice but to take immediate action!
B: War is always a measure of last resort!

Both of those responses looked at in isolation could be parsed to have completely overlapping meanings, but if we ask two politicians that question and get those two responses, it seems pretty clear one is in favor if war and one opposed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned