The destruction of the wage class, the politics of resentment and Donald Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, January 23, 2016, 02:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on January 25, 2016, 03:34:08 AMAren't the jobs you mention salary-based? I don't know the conditions in the US, but it would seem odd to me if managers and office admins were paid by the hour.  :hmm:

oh, right. forgot the thread we're in. :D

QuoteDo you have something against capitalising first letters of sentences?

no, I do it pretty often.

DGuller

Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2016, 03:56:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 25, 2016, 03:34:08 AMAren't the jobs you mention salary-based? I don't know the conditions in the US, but it would seem odd to me if managers and office admins were paid by the hour.  :hmm:

FYI, it seems like a small thing, but I often completely skip your posts because reading posts that intentionally ignore grammar or spelling rules is tiring.  I'm not telling you that you should change your unique snowflake writing style, but I'm just laying out one data point here on the effects of it.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2016, 01:53:21 AM
unskilled immigrants from not-mexico haven't flooded the country for probably sixty+ years. it's expensive to get here if you don't live in mexico. so, I'm not sure whether old era immigration can be applied to what happened in the 1990s+. I don't think many post 90s era mexicans moved to the US expecting social mobility. they earned more from mcjobs than they did back home. then the crash hit and there were fewer low-level jobs, so word traveled back that america isn't a hotspot for a good job (mexican standards)

@mono: I thought there was some discussion between Minsky and others (Ide?) that automation hasn't actually reduced all too many jobs... at least so far. but I could be misremembering or I misunderstood that convo.

Lots of immigrants from Central America have come up through Mexico into the US since the '90s.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on January 25, 2016, 08:10:35 AM

FYI, it seems like a small thing, but I often completely skip your posts because reading posts that intentionally ignore grammar or spelling rules is tiring.  I'm not telling you that you should change your unique snowflake writing style, but I'm just laying out one data point here on the effects of it.
LaCroix:  man, are you  lucky!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 25, 2016, 03:34:08 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2016, 01:35:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 25, 2016, 01:25:57 AM
Incidentally, I think the primary reason for the destruction of the wage class is the total shift in the economy, in a way where the middle level jobs are simply becoming obsolete and disappearing from the market, leaving only either high paying highly skilled creative professional jobs on one end and low paying service jobs (mainly operating some form of "zero hours contracts" and "sharing economy" stuff - neither of which is a good way to live) on the other.

but there's still a need for managers, office admins, IT, etc. how has the economy shifted? manufacturing has had its slow and steady decline, but what else has changed?

Aren't the jobs you mention salary-based? I don't know the conditions in the US, but it would seem odd to me if managers and office admins were paid by the hour.  :hmm:

Lots of low-level managers are on hourly wages, though many of them are more akin to what you might call a foreman than a professional manager.  As for office admins, well, it depends on the office.

LaCroix

Quote from: DGuller on January 25, 2016, 08:10:35 AMFYI, it seems like a small thing, but I often completely skip your posts because reading posts that intentionally ignore grammar or spelling rules is tiring.  I'm not telling you that you should change your unique snowflake writing style, but I'm just laying out one data point here on the effects of it.

I don't think it's that unique :(

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: dps on January 25, 2016, 05:01:39 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 25, 2016, 03:34:08 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2016, 01:35:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 25, 2016, 01:25:57 AM
Incidentally, I think the primary reason for the destruction of the wage class is the total shift in the economy, in a way where the middle level jobs are simply becoming obsolete and disappearing from the market, leaving only either high paying highly skilled creative professional jobs on one end and low paying service jobs (mainly operating some form of "zero hours contracts" and "sharing economy" stuff - neither of which is a good way to live) on the other.

but there's still a need for managers, office admins, IT, etc. how has the economy shifted? manufacturing has had its slow and steady decline, but what else has changed?

Aren't the jobs you mention salary-based? I don't know the conditions in the US, but it would seem odd to me if managers and office admins were paid by the hour.  :hmm:

Lots of low-level managers are on hourly wages, though many of them are more akin to what you might call a foreman than a professional manager.  As for office admins, well, it depends on the office.

Wow, that's just bizarre to me. Could the destruction of the "wage class" be also caused by the fact that most businesses are moving to salary-based payments like the rest of the civilised world, leaving only the shittiest job with an hourly wage?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on January 26, 2016, 01:33:43 AM

Wow, that's just bizarre to me. Could the destruction of the "wage class" be also caused by the fact that most businesses are moving to salary-based payments like the rest of the civilised world, leaving only the shittiest job with an hourly wage?

I thought most private practice lawyers charge an hourly wage?  :P

Seriously though, the same with a lot of trade-skill jobs (plumbers, contractors, etc)...in Amerika, at least.  Though one might argue a large difference between charging hours, and being employed on an hourly wage...though often even trade jobs have an "employer" and still work on hourly wages.

Many U.S. civil service jobs also work on hourly wages instead of salaries (police departments, for example).

Martinus

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 26, 2016, 02:28:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 26, 2016, 01:33:43 AM

I thought most private practice lawyers charge an hourly wage?  :P

Seriously though, the same with a lot of trade-skill jobs (plumbers, contractors, etc)...in Amerika, at least.  Though one might argue a large difference between charging hours, and being employed on an hourly wage...though often even trade jobs have an "employer" and still work on hourly wages.

Many U.S. civil service jobs also work on hourly wages instead of salaries (police departments, for example).

These seem like two completely different things to me.

It is reasonable to charge by the hour if you work in a service industry, when you have flexible working hours and often work for several different people during your work day. On the other hand, if you work a basically 9-5 job, it is completely bonkers to do so.

So, yes, for lawyers, plumbers and contracts make sense to charge by an hour. For office managers, civil servants and policemen it does not.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

I imagine it would work well for, say, factory jobs too...if your country had a bustling manufacturing sector and low unemployment (where that demand for overtime could kick in as well)...but it seems the margin there is much thinner.  Since we've exported most of those jobs overseas...it's not working out so well, for us, or for Asian wage slaves.  That b

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 26, 2016, 05:16:34 AM
The cops like it that way because they get overtime.

In Europe, most salary jobs get overtime nonetheless. The only jobs where you are not entitled to overtime are higher managerial ones. In fact, wage jobs are the ones that you do not get overtime by definition.  :huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 25, 2016, 11:18:14 AM
Quote from: DGuller on January 25, 2016, 08:10:35 AM

LaCroix:  man, are you  lucky!

Not as fortunate as I am. :D
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 26, 2016, 05:55:35 AM
Since we've exported most of those jobs overseas...it's not working out so well, for us, or for Asian wage slaves. 

Asian wage slaves can always use more love  :)