The destruction of the wage class, the politics of resentment and Donald Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, January 23, 2016, 02:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2016, 04:35:14 PM
Incidentally, has the "wage class" ever not been powerless and exploited in the history of the West? Sure, in the past the elites let them think they are better than, and can abuse, niggers, faggots, kikes and chinks - and now they are upset because they can't do it anymore - but has anything really changed in their socio-economic position? I don't think so. Equality and civil rights movements simply made them realise how shitty they have always been.

Well, that's what the Communist leaders who used to control your country would have wanted you to believe.  But the reality is (or was) closer to what the article says:  "In 1966 an American family with one breadwinner working full time at an hourly wage could count on having a home, a car, three square meals a day, and the other ordinary necessities of life, with some left over for the occasional luxury", and that certainly is a lot less true today.  Unfortunately, that line is about the only thing the article gets right.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2016, 06:15:54 PM
Because Sanders & Trump went ahead in the poll in Iowa.

I sort of assumed he would have just started a new thread for that, like for every other minor world event or new slate article.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

It amuses me how many poor dumb people support the GOP.  I mean, Princesca's grandfather only ever had a fourth grade education, but he's been a lifelong Democrat because, in his words, the Republicans "don't care none about the working man".  If he managed to figure that out, why can't any of them? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on January 23, 2016, 11:42:13 PM
It amuses me how many poor dumb people support the GOP.  I mean, Princesca's grandfather only ever had a fourth grade education, but he's been a lifelong Democrat because, in his words, the Republicans "don't care none about the working man".  If he managed to figure that out, why can't any of them? :hmm:

It is odd how much the poor blue collar GOP worker thinks a billionaire represents their values and cares about their daily struggles. :huh:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: dps on January 23, 2016, 08:23:14 PM
Incidentally, has the "wage class" ever not been powerless and exploited in the history of the West? Sure, in the past the elites let them think they are better than, and can abuse, niggers, faggots, kikes and chinks - and now they are upset because they can't do it anymore - but has anything really changed in their socio-economic position? I don't think so. Equality and civil rights movements simply made them realise how shitty they have always been.

Well, that's what the Communist leaders who used to control your country would have wanted you to believe.  But the reality is (or was) closer to what the article says:  "In 1966 an American family with one breadwinner working full time at an hourly wage could count on having a home, a car, three square meals a day, and the other ordinary necessities of life, with some left over for the occasional luxury", and that certainly is a lot less true today.  Unfortunately, that line is about the only thing the article gets right.

Is this actually true? I am not saying that some of the hourly wage workers could not afford such lifestyle, but was it true for the majority? Or, perhaps, it was true for the whites only?

DGuller

People usually make decisions emotionally, and use rational thinking only to justify them after the fact.  For a lot of people, moralism or, let's face it, plain racism, fires up emotions on a higher intensity than economic issues.

Syt

I guess it's a function of painting the Democrats as detached liberal elite who don't know about "the real world" and want to take a way your liberties,  plus a healthy dose of patriotism, pretend folksiness, and finding convenient scapegoats.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 24, 2016, 11:25:19 AM

Is this actually true? I am not saying that some of the hourly wage workers could not afford such lifestyle, but was it true for the majority? Or, perhaps, it was true for the whites only?

True for the majority and true for whites only are not mutually exclusive in the US. By far and away whites are majority, in the past it was even more so.  And the answer is, yes.  You could get a factory job with only a high school diploma (or often less), and make a comfortable living.  Were you rich?  No, not really.  But a single earner could support several dependents in a middle class lifestyle.  Was it tougher being a black or a single women?  Yeah.  It also helped a lot if you were part of union.  The Union took care of you
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 24, 2016, 11:47:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 24, 2016, 11:25:19 AM

True for the majority and true for whites only are not mutually exclusive in the US. By far and away whites are majority, in the past it was even more so.  And the answer is, yes.  You could get a factory job with only a high school diploma (or often less), and make a comfortable living.  Were you rich?  No, not really.  But a single earner could support several dependents in a middle class lifestyle.  Was it tougher being a black or a single women?  Yeah.  It also helped a lot if you were part of union.  The Union took care of you

The tough part for blacks and other minorities was getting and keeping the job.  "Last hired, first fired" was a thing (it wasn't always about race;  in fact, primarily it was about seniority, but in practice, blacks were the last hired), but if you were a minority and latched onto a full-time job, yeah, you could have a decent lifestyle.  Maybe not quite as comfortable as a white worker with the same job, because there was discrimination in wages as well as in hiring, but still, a decent lifestyle.

Camerus

Also, since Trump's supporters are primarily working class whites (historically the largest demographic in the United States), focusing on their relative decline is the key factor in explaining his rise. The shibboleths that have governed the liberal order over the past few decades have brought few material or political advantages for this group, so I don't blame them for looking elsewhere for a champion (even though Trump would be likely to do more harm than good) no matter how much middle-class and elite finger waving it engenders.

Ancient Demon

Should the white working class believe that mass unskilled immigration from the 3rd world is good for them?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Razgovory

Thing is, they are rebelling against both parties.  They may not like the tolerance of the liberals, but they aren't really keen on Free market fundamentalism either.  I think what this shows is while they voted with Republicans they didn't really buy into to right wing economics.  They sided with right because the right was "tougher" on minorities.  I know several people got all butt-hurt about me posting Lee Atwater quotes, but the Trump voter is the type who signed on to the Republican party back in the late 1970's and 1980's. The Trump candidacy is giving that type of voter exactly what he wants.  Deport the Mexicans, ban the Muslims, put the boot down on these recent black protests (or as Trump put "rough'em up a little".