News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lazy kids

Started by Phillip V, June 28, 2009, 09:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 09:58:06 AM
Agreed.  Working on a sod farm gave me all the motivation I needed to figure out a better way to survive.
For me it was hauling 2x12 joists all day by hand on a house site halfway up a steep hill...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

Quote from: PDH on June 29, 2009, 10:07:36 AM
Agreed.  Working on a sod farm gave me all the motivation I needed to figure out a better way to survive.
For me it was hauling 2x12 joists all day by hand on a house site halfway up a steep hill...

It was my lousy relationship with my parents, and my general lack of friends.  I was on my own, entirely.  There was nothing to fall back on if I failed. 

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: PDH on June 29, 2009, 10:07:36 AM
I mopped floors in a nursing home.  The sights and smells were a strong motivator. 
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Some people don't really get in gear until that light bulb goes off and they decide they actually want to decide their own fate rather than just drifting along on whatever tracks life lays down for them. Generally, I think it's a mistake to do anything like college or whatever before that happens. The more you prepare for an aimless life, the farther you have to backtrack once you finally get started.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

It is a huge mistake to start university any time after 19.  University degree is like a game card that increases your experience gained for each subsequent level.  It is the bonus in life that you pick as soon as you can.  Because chances are the degree increases your earning power.  Someone who starts university at 18, finishes at 21, then immediately start working full time will tend to earn more money over his entire life than anyone who fail to adhere to this schedule. 

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AMSomeone who starts university at 18, finishes at 21, then immediately start working full time will tend to earn more money over his entire life than anyone who fail to adhere to this schedule.
:cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on June 29, 2009, 05:41:10 AM
A friend of mine lost his father that way a couple of weeks ago.

He retired, came to help them renovate their apartment and 4 days after his retirement he suffered massive cardiac arrest and that was that.

How convienent!  Some people have the decency to just turn off when their work is done.  It is the best possible solution from an economic standpoint.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on June 29, 2009, 09:34:30 AM
...surviving is a wonderful way to motivate.

You sodded off?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
It is a huge mistake to start university any time after 19.  University degree is like a game card that increases your experience gained for each subsequent level.  It is the bonus in life that you pick as soon as you can.  Because chances are the degree increases your earning power.  Someone who starts university at 18, finishes at 21, then immediately start working full time will tend to earn more money over his entire life than anyone who fail to adhere to this schedule.
It's only a mistake if the only thing one is concerned with in life is how much money they make.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2009, 11:00:32 AM
It's only a mistake if the only thing one is concerned with in life is how much money they make.

You can also work full time while going to school in the US and not miss any of that precious precious money Mono speaks of.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 29, 2009, 10:16:25 AM

I mopped floors in a nursing home.  The sights and smells were a strong motivator.

But in the end, you are still on track to end up back there. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2009, 11:06:20 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 29, 2009, 10:16:25 AM

But in the end, you are still on track to end up back there. :(
I plan to stop eating healthy in about 15 years.  I'll go down the way many a man before has: eating a double cheese bacon burger.
PDH!

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
I don't think your generalization is correct - at least not for Germany.

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 29, 2009, 11:12:12 AMI plan to stop eating healthy in about 15 years.  I'll go down the way many a man before has: eating a double cheese bacon burger.
Just like my Grandpa.  A pack of cigarettes daily + cigars + steak + no exercise = death at 60 = WIN.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

saskganesh

for most North Americans, the gap year is usually called "freshman year."

education is wasted on the young. exhibit A: see any typical undergrad.

it's not about education and marks per se, it's about skills and credentials, character and knowing people.

the only constant is change. goals obviously change too.

money is really not that important, but it sure is useful. as I have often said, being poor
is very affordable and well within most people's budgets.

... one life, one love, may as well enjoy your time here.

I am the anti-mono. more thoughts to come.
humans were created in their own image