And we're back!

Main Menu

Lazy kids

Started by Phillip V, June 28, 2009, 09:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2009, 02:50:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 01:55:17 PM
I realized that lawyers who hadnt experienced anything outside of school made terrible lawyers.

:mad:

Making a career out of prosecuting indians doesn't count. That is like a white man in Mississippi claiming to be a good lawyer in the 1920s based on his negro conviction rate.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
Someone who starts university at 18, finishes at 21, then immediately start working full time will tend to earn more money over his entire life than anyone who fail to adhere to this schedule. 

I'm so screwed, I started at 17. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on June 29, 2009, 02:53:17 PM
You will make money from that EU2 expansion you are making.

crazy canuck

I realized that lawyers who hadnt experienced anything outside of school made terrible lawyers.

You are actually a good example of why kids shouldnt be making life choices at 19.  Your choice of undergraduate work doesnt exactly jump out as being entirely relevant to what you do now.

Iormlund

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 02:46:54 PM
Anybody sensible would. :mellow:

It's fairly unusual over here. Most parents push their children to attend high school and go straight to uni (the "winners" path) instead of a vocational training center (the "losers" path). So it is relatively uncommon to see an engineer that has been formally trained as an electrician or mechanic. And our universities lack integration into the business world, thus the students rarely get their hands dirty.

So basically most graduates have pretty much no idea of how the real world works.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on June 29, 2009, 02:53:17 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
Someone who starts university at 18, finishes at 21, then immediately start working full time will tend to earn more money over his entire life than anyone who fail to adhere to this schedule. 

I didn't go to University. What will I do?  :cry:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 29, 2009, 03:07:39 PM
I didn't go to University. What will I do?  :cry:

Don't feed him.   :mad:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Phillip V

I was chatting up two freshman undergrad girls who told me they were English majors, so I tapped into literature mode, but they did not even know who the Bronte sisters or F. Scott Fitzgerald were. Why did you pick English? "Just because..."

I then explained credit default swaps to a puzzled sophomore economics major. She asked me what business major I was. I said history, but I read a newspaper from time to time, especially when there is an "economic crisis".
Meanwhile, a senior economics major could not provide opinion on our state's increase of the minimum wage at the time.

Thus, my biggest frustration with university has been the lack of real-world connection with what is studied. So, I left.  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 03:06:32 PM

You are actually a good example of why kids shouldnt be making life choices at 19.  Your choice of undergraduate work doesnt exactly jump out as being entirely relevant to what you do now.

Like garbon, I started university when I was 17.   :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2009, 05:11:12 PM
Like garbon, I started university when I was 17.   :lol:

It is worse then I suspected then.

Caliga

I too started at 17.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 05:26:43 PM
I too started at 17.  :cool:

You mean you graduated before you could legally drink. :(

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 05:34:23 PM
You mean you graduated before you could legally drink. :(

I was 21 when I graduated.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Is the ban actually enforced?

Pretty much everyone here had gotten drunk before 16 (legal age when I was young, now it's 18). A teenage weekend without massive overt drinking seems so alien to me ... I was a teetotaler at the time but everyone else drank in Fridays and Saturdays.

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on June 29, 2009, 05:57:51 PM
Is the ban actually enforced?

Pretty much everyone here had gotten drunk before 16 (legal age when I was young, now it's 18). A teenage weekend without massive overt drinking seems so alien to me ... I was a teetotaler at the time but everyone else drunk in Fridays and Saturdays.

Not really - I saw plenty of booze being consumed on US university campuses.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.