News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lazy kids

Started by Phillip V, June 28, 2009, 09:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
It is a huge mistake to start university any time after 19.  University degree is like a game card that increases your experience gained for each subsequent level.  It is the bonus in life that you pick as soon as you can.  Because chances are the degree increases your earning power.  Someone who starts university at 18, finishes at 21, then immediately start working full time will tend to earn more money over his entire life than anyone who fail to adhere to this schedule.

That's not true here. It used to be, then every parent pushed his or her kids to get a degree. And now plumbers or electricians can easily make as much as a law graduate, with much better hours and years before a lawyer starts making any money.

There are still useful degrees. For example, the Bachelor of Engineering I took pretty much guarantees a job. But I'm certainly no millionaire, and my schedule doesn't let me any spare time before 19:30.
If I were 18 again I'd pass on college and study for a civil service post. I could have easily paid for a flat by now while scratching my belly all day.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 29, 2009, 05:06:16 AM
The gap year concept seems popular with everyone except Americans.

well except those annoying ones "backpacking through Europe"
:p

Darth Wagtaros

I think higher ed is one giant bubble waiting to explode.  Because it is filled with liquid dynamite. 

PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 29, 2009, 12:13:50 PM

Even that is better for you than spending a year failing college because you feel like you have to hurry.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 29, 2009, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 29, 2009, 12:13:50 PM

Even that is better for you than spending a year failing college because you feel like you have to hurry.
I'll admit that that does sound pretty cool.  I remember meeting some of them when I was in Syria who had started in London and were going to try to end up in Johannesburg. 
PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 29, 2009, 12:29:23 PM
I think higher ed is one giant bubble waiting to explode.  Because it is filled with liquid dynamite.
Correct.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

I didn't know what the fuck I wanted to do after high school. So I got a prestigious MSc in physics/engineering and did military service. Then I got a job.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2009, 03:59:36 AM
What is her father's job btw? What is the mother's? People often seem to have unrealistic expectations of their children, compared to their own achievements.
No idea about the mother.

Father is an Army Reserve Chief Warrant Officer 3 and Network Administrator at Turkey Hill Dairy. Runs faster than me.

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2009, 12:41:48 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 29, 2009, 12:29:23 PM
Correct.

Disagree. We're gradually moving the end of childhood to 21, so we need to store these kids somewhere.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb link=topic=1371.msg62764#msg62764well except those annoying ones "backpacking through Europe"

Hey!

I would be a lot more annoying if I followed Mono's advice and went straight into law school after undergrad.

Caliga

Quote from: Phillip V on June 29, 2009, 01:15:22 PM
Turkey Hill Dairy.

:cool: My dad's sister lives like 2 miles from their HQ in Pennsylvania.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 10:33:39 AM
It is a huge mistake to start university any time after 19.  University degree is like a game card that increases your experience gained for each subsequent level.  It is the bonus in life that you pick as soon as you can.  Because chances are the degree increases your earning power.  Someone who starts university at 18, finishes at 21, then immediately start working full time will tend to earn more money over his entire life than anyone who fail to adhere to this schedule.

I make more money then anyone I know who went through university right after high school.  I used to hire those types from time to time. :P  However, I stopped that practice when I realized that lawyers who hadnt experienced anything outside of school made terrible lawyers.

Iormlund

My boss has a similar policy. He prefers engineers with some degree of vocational training or experience.

Caliga

Quote from: Iormlund on June 29, 2009, 02:31:20 PM
My boss has a similar policy. He prefers engineers with some degree of vocational training or experience.
Anybody sensible would. :mellow:

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 01:55:17 PM
I realized that lawyers who hadnt experienced anything outside of school made terrible lawyers.

:mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.