News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lazy kids

Started by Phillip V, June 28, 2009, 09:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 28, 2009, 11:31:43 PM
Her objective should be to pout until daddy agrees to send her to graduate school.  The day this strategy stops working is the day she should begin looking for a husband.

If she decides to go the other route of finding a rich husband (which is a perfectly fine strategy in itself), she should work toward that goal diligently. 

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 29, 2009, 01:00:53 AM

Not everybody's will needs to be broken while still in the womb, Deng.

You are right.  If you happen to be born rich, that is. 

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 01:15:33 AM

If she decides to go the other route of finding a rich husband (which is a perfectly fine strategy in itself), she should work toward that goal diligently.

Graduate school might be a good place to find one.  Assuming she ends up with a law or business student and not hippie philosopher.  Philip needs to facebook stalk some pics for us to decide.

Phillip V

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 29, 2009, 01:38:52 AM
Graduate school might be a good place to find one.  Assuming she ends up with a law or business student and not hippie philosopher.  Philip needs to facebook stalk some pics for us to decide.
Sorry. I do not ask about or even think about checking out the daughters of people I work with and write up my evaluations/rewards.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 01:22:59 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 29, 2009, 01:00:53 AM

Not everybody's will needs to be broken while still in the womb, Deng.

You are right.  If you happen to be born rich, that is.

Or, better yet, of Anglo-Saxon decent.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on June 28, 2009, 10:37:19 PM
Funding her graduate school is fine, so long as it is an area that is actually in demand, e.g. law, medicine etc. 

But how to get her to be motivated is another thing.  I have been drilled before I went to school that the purpose of life is to survive.  To survive I need food.  To buy food I need money.  To make money I need a job.  To get a job I need to graduate university.  To get into a university I need to finish secondary school, and before that primary school.  To advance I need good grades.  That's why I need to study for that exam.  Anything that doesn't contribute to this grand plan is an utter waste of time. 

Just before I graduated, I spent most of the time trying to get a job.  The urgency is compounded by the following realizations -

1. Every day not spent working represents a day of lost revenue.
2. The earlier I start making and saving money, the more time there will be for compound interest to work its magic.
3. For every day spent unemployed, I become less marketable.

The old tricks work best.  Fear and greed.  These are my motivators.  Fear of starving on the streets.  Fear of not having food on my table, or roof over my head.  Greed of money.  Knowing my parents, I have absolutely no illusion that I won't physically survive unless I find a job.  That motivated me to find a job before I graduated.  And I did. 

To motivate her, they gotta drill it into her head day after day that no job=no food=death, and to make the threat seriously.

I sincerely hope you will die of a heart attack on your last day before retirement.

Martinus

What is her father's job btw? What is the mother's? People often seem to have unrealistic expectations of their children, compared to their own achievements.

Martinus

A question to Mono, Wag and all the others that talk about having a clear plan and a path, and optimizing their educational choices by whatever is "in demand" etc.

Are you happy in your life? Are you satisfied? Fulfilled? Or do you wake up in the morning considering whether to go to another day of drudgery or just put a bullet in your brain and be done with all of it?

Just curious.

Iormlund

That's a fair question. I've ended up doing a job that pays well*, but I didn't really go for that.

* It actually pays crap when taking into account people over 40 or civil service, but most young people make even less than I do.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2009, 04:02:02 AM
A question to Mono, Wag and all the others that talk about having a clear plan and a path, and optimizing their educational choices by whatever is "in demand" etc.

Are you happy in your life? Are you satisfied? Fulfilled? Or do you wake up in the morning considering whether to go to another day of drudgery or just put a bullet in your brain and be done with all of it?

Just curious.

Speaks the lawyer who works in a large firm  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on June 29, 2009, 12:08:02 AMI have always liked the (largely mythical)* Aussie/Kiwi concept of the "walkabout year" between high school and college.

* I say "largely" because I know it exists:  my main squeeze in London was a Kiwi on walkabout.
It's quite popular in the UK too, as a gap year.  I believe it's also huge in Israel.  There they travel around South America and South-East Asia (because the Shekel's not worth much) after their time in the army.  It was explained to me as a good way of spending your IDF pay and, apparently, if you're out of the country you can only be called up in national crises :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

The gap year concept seems popular with everyone except Americans.

Monoriu

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 29, 2009, 05:06:16 AM
The gap year concept seems popular with everyone except Americans.

I don't think it is popular in Hong Kong or China.  Everyone I know go straight from secondary school to university.  Employers ask very tough questions for people with significant gaps in their resume.  Parents too.  They fund their children's education in the hope that they will find jobs and in turn support the family.  They won't tolerate supporting their children while they party for a year. 

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on June 29, 2009, 03:57:51 AM
I sincerely hope you will die of a heart attack on your last day before retirement.
That happened to my grandfather.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Monoriu on June 29, 2009, 05:09:04 AMThey won't tolerate supporting their children while they party for a year.

Many will get jobs to support themselves abroad, or have saved up enough already.