News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

and now.... Honduras.

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 28, 2009, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Regarding the referendum that triggered the whole situation, it was way more innocent that you may think.

It was a non-binding proposal to add a question during the next elections to ask if voters wanted to form a constitutional assembly to draft a new constitution, not a straight forward "Do you want me for a second mandate" one. To add insult to the injury, Zelaya never said that he'd seek reelection this way, that was what the opposition accused him of wanting.

Sure, the whole situation stank, but I don't think that the answer was proportional.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 08:39:59 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 08:37:39 AM
My personal opinion is that, when "enforcing" the law, they went way overboard and broke other laws in the process. Even if the spirit of the law is being kept, plenty of unsavoury stuff was done as well on its name.
I'm inclined to agree with you.  What are your thoughts on the OAS position?

Which position, suspending Honduras' membership on it?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 08:58:24 AM
Regarding the referendum that triggered the whole situation, it was way more innocent that you may think.

It was a non-binding proposal to add a question during the next elections to ask if voters wanted to form a constitutional assembly to draft a new constitution, not a straight forward "Do you want me for a second mandate" one. To add insult to the injury, Zelaya never said that he'd seek reelection this way, that was what the opposition accused him of wanting.

Sure, the whole situation stank, but I don't think that the answer was proportional.
The constitution says "proposing reform" is grounds for expulsion though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Neil

And yet the Supreme Court decided he violated the law, and had forfeited his office.  There is only one legal avenue of appeal to the Supreme Court, and that is to contest the result with armed force.  What other response was possible?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

I have to say this makes the claim the President of Honduras was 'illegally' expelled and thus the existing government illegal a bit shakey if they did it according to their own laws.  Is there some sort of higher law Honduras is required to follow?  After all we haven't booted the many Latin American states that have had actual illegal military coups out of the OAS.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 09:01:38 AM

The constitution says "proposing reform" is grounds for expulsion though.

Proposing reform of the "set in stone" articles, not proposing reform at all. AFAIK, it was never explicitly stated that the constitutional assembly would reform those specific articles.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 09:02:19 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 09:00:32 AM
Which position, suspending Honduras' membership on it?
Si.

Until the situation is solved, I think it's a legitimate answer. Then again the grounds in which it was argued seemed shaky.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on July 08, 2009, 08:50:20 AM
Fortunately, he wasn't actually the president anymore.  The positions taken by the other American states seem mainly to be founded in a desire to create another left-wind dictator (Venezuala) or profound ignorance (the US).

Do you really think there was "profound ignorance" on the part of the US, or do you think the US is responding with the aim of taking the air out of the balloon of the left wing blame everything on the CIA crowd?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 09:10:10 AM
Until the situation is solved, I think it's a legitimate answer. Then again the grounds in which it was argued seemed shaky.
Uh, what do you mean by "solved?"  Comosellama is returned to office?

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 09:05:31 AM
I have to say this makes the claim the President of Honduras was 'illegally' expelled and thus the existing government illegal a bit shakey if they did it according to their own laws.  Is there some sort of higher law Honduras is required to follow?  After all we haven't booted the many Latin American states that have had actual illegal military coups out of the OAS.

Apparently, the Honduran constitution itself also forbids the state from expelling its nationals to other countries, that's the basis for the "illegal" claim, and the Honduran army itself admitted that they broke the law when expelling Zelaya, but they argued that it had to be done.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 09:15:58 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 09:10:10 AM
Uh, what do you mean by "solved?"  Comosellama is returned to office?

An agreement of any kind is reached between all parts. No need to have Zelaya return to office, I doubt it could be even possible anyway.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2009, 09:14:14 AM
Do you really think there was "profound ignorance" on the part of the US, or do you think the US is responding with the aim of taking the air out of the balloon of the left wing blame everything on the CIA crowd?
That, or a manifestation of the American left view that "they" can do no wrong and "we" can do no right.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2009, 09:22:11 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 08, 2009, 09:14:14 AM
That, or a manifestation of the American left view that "they" can do no wrong and "we" can do no right.

No comprendo.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 09:21:18 AM
An agreement of any kind is reached between all parts. No need to have Zelaya return to office, I doubt it could be even possible anyway.
You're granting Zelaya veto over Honduran membership in the OAS.