News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

and now.... Honduras.

Started by I Killed Kenny, June 28, 2009, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 03:09:52 PM

A couple Latin American countries are going to attack the United States somehow?

I remember people saying the same thing about muslims 8 or 9 years ago.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 10:00:11 AM
When did that happen? And anyway, do you really think that there'd be military action over this?
a couple of days ago, there were reported border clash with troops.  It haven't escalated so far, but we never know.

To answer your question, in the present context, no.  With Zelaya in the country instead of out, maybe.

EDIT (links)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090705/ts_nm/us_honduras_nicaragua_sb
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 08, 2009, 07:01:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 03:09:52 PM

A couple Latin American countries are going to attack the United States somehow?

No muslim country has ever successfuly attacked the United States.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on July 08, 2009, 07:01:13 PM
I remember people saying the same thing about Israelis before the USS Liberty was bombed, napalmed, torpedoed, and machine gunned.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2009, 07:04:22 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2009, 10:00:11 AM
When did that happen? And anyway, do you really think that there'd be military action over this?
a couple of days ago, there were reported border clash with troops.  It haven't escalated so far, but we never know.

To answer your question, in the present context, no.  With Zelaya in the country instead of out, maybe.

EDIT (links)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090705/ts_nm/us_honduras_nicaragua_sb

Border clash? The article only mentions movements of small groups of Nicaraguan troops inside their own borders, hardly border clashes. Besides the only source for this info is the Honduran interim government itself, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt. IMO this talk of military threat is wildly overstated. How Zelaya out of the country makes hypothetical attacks less likely is lost to me, I'd rather say the opposite.

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2009, 11:52:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2009, 09:47:31 AM
Fortunately for us Chavez is an inept idiot who will dig his own grave.  No reason to interrupt him ruining his prospects.

If his influence were limited to Venezuela, I'd agree with you, more or less.  But I think we've underestimated his ability to impact the region.  He has managed to (via influence, money, bribery, etc.) get his friends elected in other countries, and has co-opted them into his sphere of influence (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolivarian_Alliance_for_the_Americas).

We failed to contain Chavez, and I think things will get a lot worse for the US in Latin America (as well as Latin American itself) before they get better.  Eventually the pendulum may swing back the other way, but as it stands we have few friendly governments in the region and quite a few who oppose us to some degree.
This I agree with and figured it was pretty obvious what the Chavez plan was and the impact he was having on some of his neighbors. Though really, I don't know significant it is or will be, or how far it can expect to go to have much impact. That's why I said that I figure there's maybe (a big maybe perhaps though) some threat of Chavez intervening in Honduras, in the name of Democracy (his style of course), to try and have a like minded President reinstated. Then Chavez could help push for changes so that Zelaya's referendum has some chance.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2009, 02:54:21 AM
Border clash? The article only mentions movements of small groups of Nicaraguan troops inside their own borders, hardly border clashes. Besides the only source for this info is the Honduran interim government itself, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt. IMO this talk of military threat is wildly overstated. How Zelaya out of the country makes hypothetical attacks less likely is lost to me, I'd rather say the opposite.
http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/other-views/story/1130265.html
http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=995290
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Our current DoS is a bunch of spineless bastards & the current Administration sucks at foreign policy... film at 11.

http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCandidateFeed1/idUSN27328207
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2009, 09:32:06 AM
Our current DoS is a bunch of spineless bastards & the current Administration sucks at foreign policy... film at 11.

Goddamnit!

Why won't people just do nothing when it is in their own interests?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2009, 09:32:06 AM

What a crock of bs this is. Honduras was acting according to their own law, and that was trying to avoid the possibility of becoming another nation ruled by a long term, or even life time, president/dictator/what ever. And the US is moving to cut aid? Foreign policy Fail....   :mad:

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on August 28, 2009, 09:56:48 AM
What a crock of bs this is. Honduras was acting according to their own law, and that was trying to avoid the possibility of becoming another nation ruled by a long term, or even life time, president/dictator/what ever. And the US is moving to cut aid? Foreign policy Fail....   :mad:

Yep that fucking sucks.  Obama loses big points for this bullshit.

I don't think we should go around cheering on Honduras but we shouldn't be forcing them to change their leader...are we trying to kiss up to Chavez?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2009, 09:59:05 AM
Yep that fucking sucks.  Obama loses big points for this bullshit.

I don't think we should go around cheering on Honduras but we shouldn't be forcing them to change their leader...are we trying to kiss up to Chavez?

It's either extreme ignorance about Honduras's constitution, or an extreme desire to make other nations like us even though they never will.  Or just pure leftist solidarity.  Not sure which of those is worst.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Wow, it seems pretty retarded given the information presented to us.

garbon

Here's to hoping the recommendation isn't pursued. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.