News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on March 05, 2016, 09:49:17 AM
My knees are still problematic, but that's because I had Osgood-Schlatters disease when I was a teen, so there's no getting rid of those.

That doesnt sound right.  Osgood Schlatters shouldn't be causing permanent trouble.   

Malthus

Spent all Sunday skiing (cross country) with my wife and kid. Because the weather was perfect, and it may be the last of the season (forecast calls for 12 degrees and rain this week), we skied far longer than our usual 2 hours - went for more like 4 in total, with an hour break for lunch.

We may have overdone it. Now I am sore in muscles I did not even know existed.  :lol:

The kid, of course, is fine - he could go twice as long.

It was really beautiful though. Sun was shining, birds everywhere, when skiing you get so warm you don't need heavy gear - saw someone skiing in a tee shirt, which is going a little too far.   ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2016, 11:42:30 AM
My knees are still problematic, but that's because I had Osgood-Schlatters disease when I was a teen, so there's no getting rid of those.

That doesnt sound right.  Osgood Schlatters shouldn't be causing permanent trouble.   

I got a bone growth in my right knee as a result of it. It causes no problems in my daily life, but I get a bit of swelling when I stress my knee significantly or for long periods. So I do little squats and such. Also means I can't do jogging regularly either (biking/trekking is allright though).

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on March 07, 2016, 12:52:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 07, 2016, 11:42:30 AM

I got a bone growth in my right knee as a result of it. It causes no problems in my daily life, but I get a bit of swelling when I stress my knee significantly or for long periods. So I do little squats and such. Also means I can't do jogging regularly either (biking/trekking is allright though).

Still doesn't sound right.  That bone growth is pretty common with OS.  A funny anecdote is when my son saw a physio to help with some issues he was having the first thing she said when she say his knees was "Oh you had Osgood Schlatter when you were younger".  Your soreness probably has more to do with not having enough flexibility or strength (or both) in your hips, butt, quads hamstrings, or all of them.       

celedhring

Guess it can't hurt to get it looked at by the doctor. And see if it's OS-based or I'm just still too fat/weak there.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on March 07, 2016, 01:25:23 PM
Guess it can't hurt to get it looked at by the doctor. And see if it's OS-based or I'm just still too fat/weak there.

I can tell you this.  I and both my boys had OS with no lasting effects. So you can look on the bright side that your knee pain is probably something you can do something about.  I am getting old and have a lot of aches and pains, but that isn't one of them.  :D

You should probably see a fitness related physio for the best results.

mongers

Found this thread on page four.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on March 22, 2016, 05:13:14 PM

I biked 87km today with full packing in preparation of my Cross Balkan Bike Voyage in a few weeks. :thumbsup:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

alfred russel

Quote from: Liep on March 22, 2016, 08:43:59 PM

I biked 87km today with full packing in preparation of my Cross Balkan Bike Voyage in a few weeks. :thumbsup:

Awesome.  :thumbsup:

You need to post an AAR.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: Liep on March 22, 2016, 08:43:59 PM

Uber  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

He really ought to ride his bike rather than taking a cab for the proper experience.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

For Sport Relief I swam a mile on Saturday and ran three round the Olympic Park on Sunday. If, and it's a big if, their course measurement was more accurate than my GPS, I recorded a 20-year personal best. It was fast and flat, not crowded and with lots of distracting entertainment, but I'm not entirely convinced.

celedhring

I think I have hit a plateau in this losing weight lark. I have been stuck at 105 Kg for a while now. I eat well, *too* well (I miss junk food  :cry:) and go to the gym 3-4 times a week.

Maybe I'm doing too much strength training and should do more cardio? My lifts have been progressing slowly, but steadily. I do 45m cardio+45m weights in a typical session.

lustindarkness

My Achilles tendon is slowly healing. I can now walk again 30 minutes nonstop without wishing a sasquash riding a t-rex in a sharknado took me out of my misery. Maybe I should have gone to a doctor. :unsure:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 23, 2016, 10:43:28 AM
I think I have hit a plateau in this losing weight lark. I have been stuck at 105 Kg for a while now. I eat well, *too* well (I miss junk food  :cry:) and go to the gym 3-4 times a week.

Maybe I'm doing too much strength training and should do more cardio? My lifts have been progressing slowly, but steadily. I do 45m cardio+45m weights in a typical session.

45 minutes of cardio 4 times a week seems good depending on the intensity.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014