News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Had to go to page three to retrieve this thread.  :hmm:

Not doing a lot myself, but did have a nice 28 mile ride back from the conurbation and along the seafront earlier this evening.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

My old gym closed (:(); it was a no-frills Anytime Fitness.  I started up at an LA Fitness which is enormous and has saunas, a pool, a Jacuzzi and all other sorts of amenities.  Every time I go in I imagine Burgess Meredith telling me "We gotta go back to the old gym."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

My girlfriend bought a threadmill.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Bumped, since mongers is too lazy.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on October 30, 2016, 02:17:54 PM
Bumped, since mongers is too lazy.

:hmm:

You should also start the Fitness 2017 thread in readiness.  :P

Brazen

Down 10lbs since I started following an actual running training programme. Twice a week I go out at lunchtime and run along the Thames or through the City for half an hour which is awesome for head-clearing, and tracking what I eat even though not specifically trying to reduce calories. Yes, we do have showers in the office. :P

mongers

Done about 500 miles on the bike this month, including a fair bit of noodly off-road.

Brazen

Brought running shorts today as all my running capris were in the wash. Might be a bit chilly when I start off :hmm:

alfred russel

Crap, I found this on page 9, and the last update was November 1. Lets keep it together and finish the year strong! :)

Some time ago (as in months) I decided to clean up my diet. No more alcohol, drinks with calories, more salads...all good I guess, but I wasn't getting stronger. A couple weeks ago I added some pizza to my lunch (which is generally a salad), and started eating a couple bowls of cereal not long before going to the gym. Not great in terms of nutrition, but I actually have seen some strength increases. It could be a coincidence, time will have to tell. But maybe I just needed more calories. Which would be disappointing because I always eat when I get hungry (to be fair under the old diet regime I was always hungry and always snacking).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on October 10, 2016, 10:24:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2016, 04:30:57 PM
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/collagen-an-implausible-supplement-for-joint-pain/

That is real science. I trust broscience. What is broscience? Good question. I'm glad I asked. Broscience, that's lifting advice from an unqualified bro who looks like he works out.

Broscience is great cause you don't have to waste time explaining real science. I believe it works because that guy just told me, and he's fucking huge. I don't need science, my eyes just proved it.

Learn more here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXO2azb3_PE

That was pretty good. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 21, 2016, 08:03:06 PM
My girlfriend bought a threadmill.

You should have more self-confidence, rather than letting her walk all over you.

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on December 21, 2015, 03:57:00 PM
The first part of 2016 goals is to continue to decline in 2015 to set a low starting baseline, setting the stage for significant 2016 improvements. :)

More seriously, I'm climbing Rainier in June, so I need to get fit for that. I'm thinking of Elbrus in August, but I don't have a partner for that, few prospects of finding one (I'd go with a guide, not solo), and the situation there leaves me a bit hesitant. Successfully completing those climbs are the main goals. SUCCESS for both goals! I switched the dates: Elbrus in June and Rainier in August, and Rainier was much more difficult because I broke my ankle in July and toughed it out against doctor orders (fuck that guy). These two things make the year a success.

Other goals--
-Improve climbing to be able to do 5.11. In a gym I've climbed several 5.11s cleanly on top rope, and outside I've done 5.11a really ugly on top rope. Have yet to lead a 5.11 inside or out. I think I'd give myself a success on this, based on my mindset at the beginning of the year, but I'm not a 5.11 climber.
-Get back to a sub 50 minute 10k (last one run was 51 minutes, shouldn't be hard) Fail. However, I broke my ankle the day before a scheduled 10k, and based on my training runs I was probably going to be around 48 minutes. I was going to achieve this, but the broken ankle stopped me from getting an official race time.
-Stretch goal: sub 1:50 half marathon. Fail. The half marathon I was going to do was in November, and breaking my ankle meant I missed this one.
-bench my body weight I don't know. I never bench with a barbell, only dumbells. Almost certainly a fail because I'm not sure I can get up 110 with dumbbells, but if I could that would get me closish with a barbell considering some people are 20-30% less with dumbbells. But since I train with dumbbells that may not be me. I'll have to try this out.
-20 pull ups? I'm so far off right now--I can just do 7. 20 has been a goal for a long time, but getting all the way to 20 is probably not realistic. at least a dozen by the end of the year would make me happy. I can do 9-10 with good form last time I checked, and I think I've gotten marginally stronger. Will have to check at year end with a day or two of good rest. A dozen could happen.
-get under 22:00 in a 5k (there is a net downhill 5k near me, really fast track--I did it in 22:00 last time I ran, my best 5k time, I'd like to beat that. FAIL. The ran the 5k I was targeting in 22:19. I was going to try again later in the year but I broke my ankle.

Status updated.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I'm going to ignore Dorsey's shameless quote-bait.

alfred russel

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 21, 2016, 04:47:04 PM
What is 5.11?

A climbing grade under the yosemite decimal system.

5 means it is technical climbing, and the 11 reflects the difficulty.