Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Legbiter on September 30, 2016, 05:41:32 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2016, 05:47:13 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 29, 2016, 11:01:00 AM
Basketball?

too much risk of injury.

Free weights with cardio afterwards? Since you know what you're doing you could, for instance, run a relaxed 5/3/1 with whatever accessory work you thought was fun.

http://www.strengthstandards.co/

Just input your numbers, select which program you want run and the site will generate a schedule for you. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I am going to start that sort of routine.  Just need to be disciplined to do it.  Biking to work was easy because it was something I needed to do.  It is easier to blow off going to the gym for one reason or another.   And walking the dog more along the lines of Mongers' advice.

Swimming is ok but I am less likely to do that than go to the gym.

mongers

Did 50km around the forest on the bike this afternoon, nice day.

But man there were a lot of out for a drive, usual this time of you I meet two or three cars on some of the 5-10km stretches of road, this time it was dozens, was like every other guy within 20 miles of the national park decided to go for a Sunday drive today.  <_<

Ended up cutting my trip short and hurry back to keep in front of the traffic.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Very excited: today I can start running again. :)

I think I've developed tendonitis or something in my left wrist. Since I broke my ankle I've been doing a lot more dumbbell exercises, and I think the combination of that and continuing to climb has just worn my wrist out. Anyone had this happen before? It is mildly painful to move - just rotating it causes some pain. I tried climbing today anyway but quit early on - I think I'll take some time off the weights and climbing. Now that I can run I have something else I can do anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2016, 12:34:22 AM
Very excited: today I can start running again. :)

I think I've developed tendonitis or something in my left wrist. Since I broke my ankle I've been doing a lot more dumbbell exercises, and I think the combination of that and continuing to climb has just worn my wrist out. Anyone had this happen before? It is mildly painful to move - just rotating it causes some pain. I tried climbing today anyway but quit early on - I think I'll take some time off the weights and climbing. Now that I can run I have something else I can do anyway.

So things are looking up.  :cool:

alfred russel

So I took yesterday off from weights and climbing, and then went climbing tonight. I might have really fucked up my wrist tonight. I gave up climbing with my left hand partway through the night and tried climbing easy routes just with my right. When I got home I was carrying things inside with my right hand, and it was a struggle to unlock and open the door with my left. Typing this is modestly painful.

I've regained a foot and lost a hand.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2016, 08:52:56 PM
So I took yesterday off from weights and climbing, and then went climbing tonight. I might have really fucked up my wrist tonight. I gave up climbing with my left hand partway through the night and tried climbing easy routes just with my right. When I got home I was carrying things inside with my right hand, and it was a struggle to unlock and open the door with my left. Typing this is modestly painful.

Why do you try to do things with one hand tied behind you back?   :D

Myself, still plodding along on the bike, even with the shortening evenings.  :bowler:

Legbiter

Take time out for as long as you need. I'll back off of my training if what I'm doing feels dicey. Could try eating more gelatinous cuts of meat and adding bone broth to your diet for joint health.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on October 09, 2016, 07:27:46 AM

Take time out for as long as you need. I'll back off of my training if what I'm doing feels dicey. Could try eating more gelatinous cuts of meat and adding bone broth to your diet for joint health.

What is a gelatinous cut of meat? Just a fatty one?

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on October 09, 2016, 07:56:37 PMWhat is a gelatinous cut of meat? Just a fatty one?

Shanks, necks, feet, cheeks, oxtails, ribs. You can also just add a tablespoon here and there of hydrolysed collagen to liquids to get that extra amount of lycine. I like to put a tablespoon of it in my morning coffee but most any liquid will do.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-reasons-to-eat-more-collagen/
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on October 10, 2016, 04:30:57 PM
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/collagen-an-implausible-supplement-for-joint-pain/

That is real science. I trust broscience. What is broscience? Good question. I'm glad I asked. Broscience, that's lifting advice from an unqualified bro who looks like he works out.

Broscience is great cause you don't have to waste time explaining real science. I believe it works because that guy just told me, and he's fucking huge. I don't need science, my eyes just proved it.

Learn more here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXO2azb3_PE

Brazen

Still waiting to see if I have a London Marathon place. I'm assuming not. Probably just as well as I'm only going to be able to start running again in the next week or so.

Why I shouldn't be allowed to enter races part VIII.

I entered the Hampton Court Palace Half Marathon. Realised Autofill had put in my work email address. Emailed their "contact us" address to correct it. They couldn't find me on their system and asked if I had registered with the right name. I indignantly attached my confirmation email. Turns out there are TWO Hampton Court Half Marathons, one in February and one in March and I'd entered the other one...

Having carefully checked there were plenty of people slower than me in last year's results and deciding I had a comfortable margin to get home, I now find there were just three people slower than my expected result. Out of over 3,000. FML.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

QuoteI think I'll take some time off the weights and climbing.
:hmm: I think you found out the answer to whether one day is enough time off an activity to allow an injury to heal... Feel better soon.

alfred russel

Quote from: Brazen on October 11, 2016, 05:41:36 AM
Still waiting to see if I have a London Marathon place. I'm assuming not. Probably just as well as I'm only going to be able to start running again in the next week or so.

Why I shouldn't be allowed to enter races part VIII.

I entered the Hampton Court Palace Half Marathon. Realised Autofill had put in my work email address. Emailed their "contact us" address to correct it. They couldn't find me on their system and asked if I had registered with the right name. I indignantly attached my confirmation email. Turns out there are TWO Hampton Court Half Marathons, one in February and one in March and I'd entered the other one...

Having carefully checked there were plenty of people slower than me in last year's results and deciding I had a comfortable margin to get home, I now find there were just three people slower than my expected result. Out of over 3,000. FML.

At least it gives a goal for the race and motivation for training. You will not be last! :)