Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 02:51:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2015, 02:40:03 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 21, 2015, 12:16:29 PM
I still not quite ready to accept the numbers solely on the word of whoever wrote this little web article.

Neither am I, but based on Caesar's own account he did a pretty good job eliminating that particular tribe so that they would not again be a threat.  If we are not going to call it a genocide then some other word meaning wiping out a whole tribe in the ancient world needs to be coined.   

Eliminating them as a threat does not imply eliminating them though.

I am with Minsky - I think nearly all ancient world estimates for army sizes, battle sizes, etc., etc., are gross exaggerations.

I imagine how long it would take to kill 100,000 people by hand - just the simple logistics of it when you start actually thinking about how to go about doing that.

I suspect what actually happened is that a bunch of warriors started slaughtering people, and everyone scattered, and they reported that they killed them all.

Yeah, as I said, I think Minsky is correct about being doubtful about the numbers as well.   Which is why I don't think it is near 100,000 people and it makes it much more likely that the tribe was wiped out.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 21, 2015, 09:39:45 AM
On the OP, that website looks pretty dubious as a serious source of accurate archaeological information.  The linked article reads as if translated from another  language.

The original was in Dutch wasn't it?

Guardian says the same
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/11/julius-caesar-battlefield-unearthed-southern-netherlands-dutch-archaeologists
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 21, 2015, 05:26:26 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 21, 2015, 09:39:45 AM
On the OP, that website looks pretty dubious as a serious source of accurate archaeological information.  The linked article reads as if translated from another  language.

The original was in Dutch wasn't it?

Guardian says the same
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/11/julius-caesar-battlefield-unearthed-southern-netherlands-dutch-archaeologists

The section below doesn't give must confidence that the author had a clue regarding what he was reporting. Also, I'd be interested in where these 150-200k figures are coming from. It seems implausible to me, but the article seems to be attributing it to the university of amsterdam.

"This article was amended on 12 December 2015. It originally used a photo of a statue of Julius Caesar's great-nephew Julius Caesar Augustus. This has been corrected. It was further amended on 14 December 2015. It mistakenly described Caesar as an emperor and said the items dated back to the 1st century, when they dated back to the 1st century BC. These errors have been corrected."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Looking at a few more stories on this, they repeat the account from DBG, but all that is said about the VU discovery is that the found a lot of material.  It would be very interesting if the VU team has confirmed number in the 150-200K range - it would alter assumptions about density and population levels and bolster confidence in the specific numbers in DBG - that is what drew my interest.  But its not clear in the news accounts that mention that numbers that the VU archaeologists have clear evidence of such exact counts or just that there are a lot and the journalists are just repeating the DBG numbers,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I still not quite ready to accept the numbers solely on the word of whoever wrote this little web article.

Neither am I, but based on Caesar's own account he did a pretty good job eliminating that particular tribe so that they would not again be a threat.  If we are not going to call it a genocide then some other word meaning wiping out a whole tribe in the ancient world needs to be coined.   

I think the term creates a false impression and thus is bad history. Since we cannot dig up Julius Caesar and put him on trial I think the priority needs to be on giving people an understanding of the times. Not using charged modern terms and values to try to demonize past peoples. I just do not see how that contributes to anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2015, 12:01:40 AM

I think the term creates a false impression and thus is bad history. Since we cannot dig up Julius Caesar and put him on trial I think the priority needs to be on giving people an understanding of the times. Not using charged modern terms and values to try to demonize past peoples. I just do not see how that contributes to anything.

Or you could just leave your outrage hat at home when discussing ancient history and not worry about being PC with every term you use.

The Romans had slavery. It was legal and socially accepted. Slavery today is a very charged and negative term. Should we call Roman slavery something else because of this? That way lies silly.

Eddie Teach

The Romans knew what slavery was. Genocide was an alien concept.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Genocide was a well established practice in the ancient world.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 22, 2015, 05:22:24 AM
The Romans knew what slavery was. Genocide was an alien concept.

They didn't know the term genocide, but were familiar with the concept of deliberately killing large numbers of particular groups of people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on December 22, 2015, 09:09:30 AM
They didn't know the term genocide, but were familiar with the concept of deliberately killing large numbers of particular groups of people.

They didn't have the follow-through of modern nations.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 22, 2015, 09:17:24 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 22, 2015, 09:09:30 AM

They didn't have the follow-through of modern nations.

I think you are shifting your argument from that they were unfamiliar with the concept to that they did not implement it.

The article asserts a university claim that between 1/3 and 1/2 of two tribes were massacred by the Romans. There is discussion about whether the numbers are accurate, but if so, such a slaughter would be considered a genocide in the modern day, which would indicate they did indeed have the follow through of modern nations. Regardless, I think the example of Carthage would qualify as genocide under modern standards.

Norgy

Quote from: The Brain on December 22, 2015, 06:14:16 AM
Genocide was a well established practice in the ancient world.

Wasn't JHWE quite good at it too, according to the reports (surely made by liberal media, but still) from Sodom and Gomorrah?