News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Internet news really, really sucks

Started by Berkut, December 22, 2015, 11:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2015, 12:43:35 PM
I thought the land restrictions on voting in South Carolina had ended in the 1840's.

Ah. Yes that is true. But there was no voting for President. All the Electors were appointed by the legislature.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 28, 2015, 12:41:47 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 27, 2015, 05:18:30 AM

Not particularly true.
There were some who planned to stay in the uk for just a little while and then move onto the us but who got bogged down, however these weren't the majority rule. And it tended not to be because they were too poor that this happened;  generally the opposite I'd say.
Also most of the wealthier migrants chose the uk rather than the Americas.

I don't think anyone is going to argue more people went to the US than the UK. But then the US was this big empty landed shrouded in myth and the promise of vast riches for all. Also they were actively encouraging migrants to come, unlike the UK.

Going off family history is also not such a great way to try and prove they went to the us to enjoy the freedom. Of course people will SAY it was all about freedom, particularly once they've bitten into the apple of US nationalism.
If you're a 19th century pauper though then getting food on the table is all you care about. That theoretically you could be executed for insulting the emperor isn't really something you consider in your every day life; indeed most of the poor tended towards being supportive of absolute monarchies.

Very particularly true.  I'm not using family history as an proof I'm merely using it as an example.  They had to leave.  After the failure of Democracy in Europe millions fled to the US.  It wasn't a hypothetical, "insulting an emperor", they lost a war.  A very large number of people came here as refugees. The Irish had to leave because for some reason the richest, most powerful country in the world was wracked by famines.  Most immigrants did not settle out west.  Western settlement tended by done by a small class of frontiersmen who would acquire land from the government (it wasn't always free), cultivate it for a while then sell and move further west.  Most immigrants settled in cities (or quickly built cities).

But let me ask you, what proof do you have that, "most of the wealthier migrants chose the uk rather than the Americas. "?

Not sure it is worth debating really.  How many "wealthy" migrants actually came to North American?  Anecdotally, my paternal Great grandfather was a substantial land owner in the old country but when he uprooted to bring his family to North America he lost most of his wealth which was tied to the land.  He had enough to start over and build up a farm so that put him ahead of my maternal great grandparents who started in sod huts on land granted to them by the government of the day.

Interestingly my paternal great grandfather landed in New York but preferred settling in Canada.

OttoVonBismarck

Eh, for breaking news news.google.com works well enough. Yes, as an aggregator it'll gobble up stories from Fox, MSNBC etc--but if you spend half a second paying attention to their news articles you can see that before hand. Any "story" on google news, you can expand it to show all the news stories reporting on that, you don't have to just click that top link to Fox News.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 29, 2015, 05:00:01 PM

Not sure it is worth debating really.  How many "wealthy" migrants actually came to North American?  Anecdotally, my paternal Great grandfather was a substantial land owner in the old country but when he uprooted to bring his family to North America he lost most of his wealth which was tied to the land.  He had enough to start over and build up a farm so that put him ahead of my maternal great grandparents who started in sod huts on land granted to them by the government of the day.

Interestingly my paternal great grandfather landed in New York but preferred settling in Canada.

Quite a few middle class fled Europe after 1848.  You see these guys who come to the US and become not only prosperous, but rising high in politics (and the military during the civil war).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2015, 06:06:23 PM

Quite a few middle class fled Europe after 1848.  You see these guys who come to the US and become not only prosperous, but rising high in politics (and the military during the civil war).

Ok, but now you are changing the goal posts.  The discussion was about "wealthy" immigrants.  Now you are using the term "middle class".  In the 19th century I am not sure what that term means.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 30, 2015, 11:15:01 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2015, 06:06:23 PM

Ok, but now you are changing the goal posts.  The discussion was about "wealthy" immigrants.  Now you are using the term "middle class".  In the 19th century I am not sure what that term means.

I agree you aren't sure what it means.  You were the one to introduce the word "wealthy" not I.  Tyr used "wealthier".  I said that people who immigrated to the UK rather then the US did so because they didn't have as much money.  That seems logical since America was further away.  I used the term middle class to describe the liberal revolutionaries this is in line with history books I've read who argue that this social class made up the leadership and driving force of the revolution, at least in central Europe.  What ever goal posts you had in mine when you said "Wealthy" are yours alone.