News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Internet news really, really sucks

Started by Berkut, December 22, 2015, 11:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

WSJ and the Washington Post. Subscription based, of course.

I read the Guardian online often, though mainly because of their soccer site.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 22, 2015, 11:19:25 AM
I do like the BBC, but want a US centric site if I can find one.

BBC is pretty crap, actually - full of lots of editorializing and bogus reporting.  It used to be good, but has become another British news source.  The Economist has a pretty good US section, but it's not "breaking news" oriented and its US section is pretty small.

listen to FunkMonk.  He is wise.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2015, 01:39:36 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 22, 2015, 11:19:25 AM
I do like the BBC, but want a US centric site if I can find one.

BBC is pretty crap, actually - full of lots of editorializing and bogus reporting.  It used to be good, but has become another British news source.  The Economist has a pretty good US section, but it's not "breaking news" oriented and its US section is pretty small.

listen to FunkMonk.  He is wise.

I actually have a dead-tree subscription to the Economist ... but I rarely look at their online site.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Quote from: Malthus on December 22, 2015, 11:20:25 AM
Heh, for better or worse, I use Languish as my internet news filter.  :lol:

This.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Languish is pretty good for breaking news, but that begs the question of where Languishites who post breaking news are getting their stories from.

I imagine it's any one of the crap news sites Throbby mentioned. 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2015, 04:02:06 PM
Languish is pretty good for breaking news, but that begs the question of where Languishites who post breaking news are getting their stories from.

I imagine it's any one of the crap news sites Throbby mentioned.

Often Reuters for me, from their website.

I've AFP in my twitter feed, so see a lot of breaking new via that agency and medium. Also they seem faster on breaking news than AP et al.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 22, 2015, 04:06:50 PM
That's not news. :x

Indeed, it's weather.  But lacks having some HOTT babe pointing at his ass.

Savonarola

For US-centric sites NPR and Bloomberg are both decent; or at least better than CNN/FOXNEWS/MSNBC.  Al Jazeera's US edition is worthwhile, but its editorial board is a little biased...
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

MadBurgerMaker

I just tend to use aggregators. Newsmap is still out there and like all the others you can choose which categories you see and don't see (locations too).

It also allows you to easily see which stories "everyone" is writing about, along with those they don't care to write about. So for example, Trump said something stupid about Hillary Clinton and her stupid bathroom break and it's huge "news" with 3059 related articles.  Then at the other end of the spectrum, a woman was dragged out of the hospital by the cops after she refused to leave, collapsed, and then later died. No one cares.  54 articles.  There is also a single article noting that the governor of Montana is doing a thing that will allow bison to roam outside of Yellowstone: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2015/1222/Montana-governor-allows-bison-to-roam-outside-Yellowstone 

Monoriu

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Monoriu on December 22, 2015, 11:24:31 PM
News should be free.   :mad:

Someone somewhere has to get paid somehow, otherwise we end up with just bloggers.   :(

Monoriu

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 22, 2015, 11:29:35 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 22, 2015, 11:24:31 PM
News should be free.   :mad:

Someone somewhere has to get paid somehow, otherwise we end up with just bloggers.   :(

Advertisements.