And we're back!

Main Menu

Internet news really, really sucks

Started by Berkut, December 22, 2015, 11:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2015, 05:38:49 PM
Quote from: PJL on December 23, 2015, 04:16:36 PM
Well if the Americans had lost, there's no way the French would have relinquished Louisana without a fight. My guess is that we would would have ended up with a Super Canada (Canada plus Eastern USA) with a Super Mexico (Mexico plus Western USA), a Super Alaska (Russian Alaska) and possibly a Florida. All independent of course, but the first two inside the Commonwealth.

There would be far fewer people in North America.  Not nearly as many people would want to immigrate from Europe to be under Britain's thumb.

Well to be fair they were flooding over in pretty overwhelming numbers to do that before the revolution.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 23, 2015, 05:40:36 PM
Well if the Americans had lost, there's no way the French would have relinquished Louisana without a fight. My guess is that we would would have ended up with a Super Canada (Canada plus Eastern USA) with a Super Mexico (Mexico plus Western USA), a Super Alaska (Russian Alaska) and possibly a Florida. All independent of course, but the first two inside the Commonwealth.

There would be far fewer people in North America.  Not nearly as many people would want to immigrate from Europe to be under Britain's thumb.

Well to be fair they were flooding over in pretty overwhelming numbers to do that before the revolution.

When was universal manhood suffrage enacted in Canada?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2015, 05:45:16 PM

Not sure but nobody got to vote for President in South Carolina until 1868 :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on December 23, 2015, 05:13:10 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2015, 01:13:31 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 23, 2015, 01:11:04 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 22, 2015, 11:20:29 PM
So for example, Trump said something stupid about Hillary Clinton and her stupid bathroom break and it's huge "news" with 3059 related articles.

:bleeding:

Sometimes I wonder if it would not have been better if the British had won.

May end up with tough gun control laws, universal health care, and a parliamentary system.  The Queen may visit from time to time  :secret:

By the sound of it Mono, you only had one of those, though at least you did get the occasional Liz visit.  :bowler:

Hong Kong has tough gun controls and universal healthcare.

Norgy

If Internet news is so terrible, I am sure Hansmeister's blog's updated with real news for real people.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on December 23, 2015, 06:00:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 23, 2015, 05:45:16 PM

Not sure but nobody got to vote for President in South Carolina until 1868 :P

You sure about that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Why would you think that?

Canada had tremendous amounts of immigration - greater per capita than the US - in the 19th and early 20th century.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on December 24, 2015, 01:36:05 AM

Canada had tremendous amounts of immigration - greater per capita than the US - in the 19th and early 20th century.

Not that impressive.  You had three Scotsmen and 12 Frenchies living there when it started.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on December 24, 2015, 01:36:05 AM

Rights came slower to Canada.  Inability of elected officials dictate foreign policy.  Ability to expand westward curtailed.  There was substantial immigration from Britain to the US.  My ancestors were trying to get away from Monarchy some in particular were trying to get away from British Monarchy.  I don't think they would have been so keen to set up shop in British territory.  On the plus side, without that safety valve British politics would likely have been much different.  They may not have fared so well in 1848.

Richard Hakluyt

So for example, Trump said something stupid about Hillary Clinton and her stupid bathroom break and it's huge "news" with 3059 related articles.

The American British did win  :D

It is a shame that the UK didn't come up with the Dominion wheeze a few decades earlier though. I presume, though, that George III would have regarded such a plan as an intolerable incursion on his prerogative.

Josquius

I largely find myself using Google news
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

What's too stop the colonists from sucking in Britain into a war over Louisiana, just like they did over Ohio? Repeat for Texas and California.

The most reputable sites that I use are Google News, NBCnews.com, and the Guardian.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 24, 2015, 02:33:58 AM

The American British did win  :D

It is a shame that the UK didn't come up with the Dominion wheeze a few decades earlier though. I presume, though, that George III would have regarded such a plan as an intolerable incursion on his prerogative.

It's really all Fredrick's fault for getting himself killed playing cricket. If he had succeeded George II, the whigs would have stayed in power and Pitt would have kept everything together.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2015, 12:56:58 AM
You sure about that?

Pretty sure there was no popular vote for President prior to 1868. Given that is what their State Constitution said and all.

derspiess

I saw a news site called Agence France Presse. Never heard of it.  WTF is it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall