Mass grave of Caesar's victims found, remains of 150-200,000 Germans

Started by jimmy olsen, December 18, 2015, 10:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2015, 10:45:32 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2015, 10:14:28 PM
The Romans were quite deliberate and systematic about whipping these tribes out.

I don't think they engaged in any systematic whipping of these tribes - too busy fighting them.

:XD: You know what I meant!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2015, 03:54:26 AM
As my sister put it:

[ugly portrayal of Germans]

I am sure the Germans have a "Jews"-as-boogeyman equivalent.

The Minsky Moment

On the OP, that website looks pretty dubious as a serious source of accurate archaeological information.  The linked article reads as if translated from another  language.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2015, 03:52:07 AM
Plenty of Germans still around.

He wasn't targeting germans or germanic tribes, but the Tencteri and Usipetes, who may have actually been Celtic.

But there are also plenty of Jews still around.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on December 21, 2015, 09:58:17 AM

Not in Germany or Poland.

Anyway, the article describes a single massacre, not a formal, extended campaign to end those tribes' existence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2015, 11:31:43 AM

Anyway, the article describes a single massacre, not a formal, extended campaign to end those tribes' existence.

Well, those tribes are extinct, and the Celtic speakers now extinct from that region of Europe.

I think the question is to whether a "kill everyone" command when attacking a tribe qualifies as a genocide when resulting in the death of between 150,000 and 200,000 people, including women and children out of a population of maybe two or three that (I would tend to doubt the numbers). Can a single incident be considerable enough to qualify as a genocide even if not extended for a long period?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Norgy

So Germanic tribes are Germans?

I think the Saxons, Jutes, Goths, Rugians etc would have disagreed.

Or the mysterious Heruls, who according Eastern Roman sources had come from the north to Dacia and Crimea, only to mysteriously trek back to Gothia later.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on December 21, 2015, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2015, 11:31:43 AM

Well, those tribes are extinct, and the Celtic speakers now extinct from that region of Europe.

I think the question is to whether a "kill everyone" command when attacking a tribe qualifies as a genocide when resulting in the death of between 150,000 and 200,000 people, including women and children out of a population of maybe two or three that (I would tend to doubt the numbers). Can a single incident be considerable enough to qualify as a genocide even if not extended for a long period?

I think the answer is likely yes.  The intent was to kill off the entire tribe - 100% of that population.  No need to extend it beyond killing 100% of the group.  I think where you go wrong is assuming other tribes were part of this group.

The Minsky Moment

I still not quite ready to accept the numbers solely on the word of whoever wrote this little web article.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2015, 12:10:51 PM
  I think where you go wrong is assuming other tribes were part of this group.

I'm not assuming that.

I was answering ET's presumed argument that this was not genocide because the germans still exist by pointing out that:
a) the tribes targeted do not exist today
b) the tribes were likely celtic rather than german speaking (despite being labeled germanic tribes by caesar, likely due to their geographic origin), and that in that part of europe those languages are indeed extinct

The obvious counterargument is that the tribes in question continued to be mentioned in historic sources after the battle/massacre/genocide, and a punitive action against an enemy with "kill everyone" orders applicable for a limited time was hardly unknown in ancient times and was not a serious attempt to eliminate the entire enemy's population. Rather, it was an attempt to send a "don't fuck with us" message.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on December 21, 2015, 12:54:48 PM
I was answering ET's presumed argument that this was not genocide because the germans still exist by pointing out that:
a) the tribes targeted do not exist today
b) the tribes were likely celtic rather than german speaking (despite being labeled germanic tribes by caesar, likely due to their geographic origin), and that in that part of europe those languages are indeed extinct

No tribe from that period exists today.  No language spoken at that time is still spoken today.  The Romans did not eradicate the Gauls or Iberian (Celtic speakers) and yet Celtic languages are not spoken in most of the area once comprised by pre-Roman Gaul or Iberia.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 21, 2015, 01:04:04 PM

No tribe from that period exists today.

I realize that--but ET is the one bringing up that germans still exist, unlike the jews in that region.

QuoteNo language spoken at that time is still spoken today.  The Romans did not eradicate the Gauls or Iberian (Celtic speakers) and yet Celtic languages are not spoken in most of the area once comprised by pre-Roman Gaul or Iberia.

Obviously languages evolve into new languages, but the the celtic languages largely died out on the continent (I think Brittany is the exception) while say latin evolved into the romance languages. The eradication of a lot of the gaulish and iberian languages had to do with Rome, and someone (I wouldn't) could conceivably argue that their policies were genocidal even if they didn't try to physically exterminate the members of the group.

That is different than the case with the incident with the Tencteri and Usipetes discussed in the article, where those specific tribes were apparently generally targeted.