Star Wars - Impressions, no spoilers, just impressions!

Started by Berkut, December 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How good is the new Star Wars flick overall?

Awesome! A: Best Star Wars movie yet, Abrams and Co. found the right mix of action and story!
8 (14.3%)
B: Very, very good! Probaby not up there with the best of the series, but vastly better than any of 1/2/3, and mostly met our lofty expectations!
30 (53.6%)
C: Solid. Better than the 1/2/3 disasters, but missed on the story in some ways, not as good as 4/5/6 overall
11 (19.6%)
D: Uggh. Are we sure Lucas wasn't involved?
1 (1.8%)
F: I miss JarJar
6 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Who is actually putting in those IMDB titles though? Not Disney and the German page de.starwars.com only has the English title, no German title.

Return of the Jedi was in plural in German - which makes sense as there are briefly two Jedi Knights at the end when Vader becomes Anakin Skywalker again.

Admiral Yi

Return of the Jedi doesn't make sense as a singular or plural.  Luke didn't return because he never went away.  The title only makes sense if Jedi is a mass noun, like water or sleep, not a count noun. The Jedi as a collective disappeared, then as a collective they returned with Luke.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2017, 01:21:24 PM
Return of the Jedi doesn't make sense as a singular or plural.  Luke didn't return because he never went away.  The title only makes sense if Jedi is a mass noun, like water or sleep, not a count noun. The Jedi as a collective disappeared, then as a collective they returned with Luke.

Indeed.

I don't know why this seems like such a mystery.

Right now, Luke is the last of the Jedi. Being a Jedi is not just a matter of being able to use the force, there is a code of conduct and formal training around it. Presumably Luke got that via Yoda.

He tried (as I recall) to create a return of the actual Jedi organization and training, and something went badly wrong.

So now he is the last last Jedi. That doesn't mean that there can never be more.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 26, 2017, 01:21:24 PM
Luke returned to face Vader.  He fled the fight after his hand was cut and he learnt Vader was daddy.  He wasn't a Jedi yet, Yoda told him his training wasn't complete.  Once back on Dagobah, on his dying bed, Yoda told him he knew all he needed to know, no more training was necessary from him.  There he claims he is a Jedi, and Yoda replies he'll only be a Jedi once he confronts Vader.  Which he proceeds to do, so he returns there as a Jedi because he's facing Vader.

If you interpret it as plural, as a mass noun, then it's the Return of the Jedi because Luke's survival insures there can be a continuiing Jedi order while previously there were only scattered Jedi with no organized actions.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on January 26, 2017, 01:52:52 PM
He tried (as I recall) to create a return of the actual Jedi organization and training, and something went badly wrong.
Kylo Ren turned to the Dark Side, presumably with other students that formed the Knights of Ren.  They attacked Luke's Jedi academy and betrayed/murdered their former comrades, the way Anakin Skywalker did it as Darth Vader.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 26, 2017, 02:59:08 PM
Kylo Ren turned to the Dark Side, presumably with other students that formed the Knights of Ren.  They attacked Luke's Jedi academy and betrayed/murdered their former comrades, the way Anakin Skywalker did it as Darth Vader.

We don't know that the Knights of Ren are force-users.  In fact the one brief picture we see of them (in Rey's vision) Kylo Ren is the only one with a lightsabre.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2017, 03:00:39 PM

We don't know that the Knights of Ren are force-users.  In fact the one brief picture we see of them (in Rey's vision) Kylo Ren is the only one with a lightsabre.
reading further on this:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Knights_of_Ren

They were Force users, but they may have existed long before Kylo Ren turned to the Dark Side, so they are likely not ex-Jedi students, or not exclusively.  Though I'd imagine, for Luke to be distressed about his teachings, there'd need to be more than just one who turn bad.

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 26, 2017, 08:27:30 AM

Yes. I think it is.

I mentioned it somewhere before but Disney in Canada always releases titles in both French & English at the same time. For Last Jedi, they didn't release a French name.

It would give away whether Jedi is plural or not. Le Dernier Jedi / Les Derniers Jedi.

Or, Le Dernier des Jedi.

celedhring

Quote from: Zanza on January 26, 2017, 01:12:18 PM
Return of the Jedi was in plural in German - which makes sense as there are briefly two Jedi Knights at the end when Vader becomes Anakin Skywalker again.

Heh, it was singular in Spanish and Catalan. I guess they didn't care much back then for uniformity.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 26, 2017, 03:22:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2017, 03:00:39 PM

reading further on this:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Knights_of_Ren

They were Force users, but they may have existed long before Kylo Ren turned to the Dark Side, so they are likely not ex-Jedi students, or not exclusively.  Though I'd imagine, for Luke to be distressed about his teachings, there'd need to be more than just one who turn bad.

QuoteHistory
The Knights of Ren operated in the decades following the Galactic Civil War. They were under the command of Supreme Leader Snoke, who used them as a tool of the dark side of the Force alongside the First Order. Rey, a Force-sensitive scavenger who hailed from Jakku, saw the Knights of Ren in a vision.[1]

It says the Knights of Ren were a tool of the dark side of the force (much like the entire First Order is) - it doesn't say they can use the force.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 27, 2017, 02:08:04 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 27, 2017, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 27, 2017, 01:54:05 PM
Some use the Force, the rest just say "ni"
NERD!

Hello - it's a STAR WARS thread.

depending on just HOW long ago  "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away' actually is, they could already be saying '"Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing!"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!