Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Kleves

It looks like John Williams got nominated again for best score. I did not find the score at all memorable - the best parts were when they reused pieces from the original trilogy.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Kleves on January 18, 2016, 01:57:25 PM
It looks like John Williams got nominated again for best score. I did not find the score at all memorable - the best parts were when they reused pieces from the original trilogy.
Agreed.  My friends and I have all discussed and reached that same conclusion.  There is just nothing that stands out.  It's entirely forgettable, which is a shame.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 19, 2016, 04:32:19 PM
Quote from: Kleves on January 18, 2016, 01:57:25 PM
Agreed.  My friends and I have all discussed and reached that same conclusion.  There is just nothing that stands out.  It's entirely forgettable, which is a shame.

Which is odd since his score for the prequels was pretty good.

He is getting up there in age though.  Though I think someone here said that the way Abrams worked with him was fairly different than how Lucas did.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

I think Williams tried to hard to tie themes from before into the new characters, which has led to speculation about Rey and Snoke in particular about who they are just based on the music used in their scenes. But you can't do that without repeating a lot.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

The latest Star Wars Rebels episode features a 14-15 year old Princess Leia, and - for the fans of Old Republic - this ship design, the Hammerhead Corvette:

Based off the Hammerhead Cruiser first seen in KotOR:

Nice to see that the team keeps drawing from the Expanded Universe for inspiration. And also nice to see the "old" AT-AT design inspired by Ralph McQuarrie paintings again:

(Different episode, but the design is the same)

:nerd: :nerd: :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.