Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2019, 04:25:25 PM
(unlike Daisey Ridley who *checks google* has really only done voice work and only one movie outside of Star Wars). 

and she wasnt even a skywalker

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Silly but intriguing theory from 2015:

http://adamserwer.tumblr.com/post/135932691418/who-is-rey

Quote[...]

So here is my theory: Rey is a clone of Anakin Skywalker.

Think about it: The only reference to the prequels in the entire movie is Ren mentioning the possibility of replacing storm troopers with clones. Rey is great with machines, she's a fantastic pilot, and she is effortless with the force. Not even Luke was that much of a natural–only ::shudder:: Anakin. This would explain the violence of Rey's flashback–she was looking at what was essentially a past life. (Obi Wan, on the other hand, had no use for machines, wasn't a great pilot, and was strong with the Force but not effortlessly).

This theory also explains why she is hidden away. It would be extremely hard for a parent to part with a child (if she were Luke's daughter) but if she were a clone of Anakin, Luke would be more frightened of the possibility of training her, especially given what happened to Kylo Ren.

So who cloned Vader? My theory is that Palpatine cloned Vader in case he needed a spare, and that the clone process began as soon as Vader died. Luke and the rebellion find her, and horrified, Luke hides her away, unwittingly replicating his father's upbringing as a slave on a desert planet (which he had no way of knowing about, not knowing his father well and having all information about him suppressed by those who knew both Luke and Anakin).

The other thing about this theory is that it is perfect torture for Kylo Ren: His biggest fear is that he will never be as powerful as darth vader. And Rey IS Darth Vader. Couldn't be more perfect.

So of course maybe I'm wrong, and we won't find out for a while, but that's my theory.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Driver is great and he's the best actor in the new trilogy.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 12, 2019, 08:01:19 PM
Driver is great and he's the best actor in the new trilogy.

The last bit in your sentence says a lot. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2018, 08:24:19 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 10, 2018, 11:08:13 AM
I think sticking to just that model is inevitably going to get stale. It isn't a bad model, but it is rather limited, there is only so many times you can tell the basic story of good guy/badguywhoonlyexiststoopposethegoodguy in the same universe before you need to start getting a little more expansive in your approach, IMO.

Well that is the thing. There is just not that much meat on the Star Wars bone to chew on. Star Wars is very well designed to tell that basic story but little else. At least that is my feeling.

The Clone Wars animated series made Anakin a way deeper character than all six movies he was in combined. Lucas is just shitty at character development.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Ian McDiarmid is a good actor and I'm happy that he's still working.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

https://io9.gizmodo.com/yes-lucasfilm-is-developing-something-for-knights-of-t-1834093809

QuoteYes, Lucasfilm Is Developing Something for Knights of the Old Republic

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is an era and subset of Star Wars that fans have been clamoring to see in live action for a long time. And while that wait will continue, Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy just confirmed that something based on the classic video game is potentially bubbling.

"You know we talk about [Knights of the Old Republic] all the time," Kennedy told MTV at Star Wars Celebration. "Yes, we are developing something to look at. Right now I have no idea where things fall but we have to be careful that there is a cadence to Star Wars that doesn't start to feel like too much." Here's the full interview, which has some other good nuggets as well.

Way to casually drop into conversation that one of the most popular games in Star Wars history, telling a wholly unique story in a totally new era of Star Wars history, may just become something in the future, Kathy! We've reached out to Lucasfilm to see if we could get clarification and will update when and if we hear.

It's important to note Kennedy's choice of words here, though. "Developing something to look at" doesn't make it sound like it's a project that's in the pipeline or anything. More like someone is working on a pitch and if that pitch works, maybe it becomes something. And it doesn't even sound like it has to be a movie or a TV show. Just "something to look at." It could also be the Benioff and Weiss movies. We just don't know.

And yet, any chance a story set thousands of years before the Empire could be coming out, and becoming canon, is exciting indeed.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.