Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2016, 03:21:08 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 06, 2016, 03:04:08 PM
Star Wars Bad Lip Reading: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8Z0UOXVaY

It is crazy how talented some of these internet spoof artists are.

Are these the same guys that did that Got parody a while back?

Solmyr

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2016, 01:10:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 06, 2016, 11:47:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 06, 2016, 08:53:13 AM
As a Sith lord he is well above everyone around him

He is not a Sith Lord.  He hadnt even finished his training yet.  That combined with your observation that he was a moody whiner who didnt spend much time training explains why the Fremen like girl kicked his ass.

I know his moody whineness is glorious. That works for bad guys so much better than good guys. And it was kind of ridiculous how the Dark Side is all about losing yourself in anger and passion when the Sith rarely displayed that in the movies...until this guy. Now that is a Sith wannabe. Loved it. When he lost his shit every time something went wrong I almost cheered. And needing his Dad's support in killing him was great. I was so worried they would kill him off in that light saber fight, I want to see more of that guy.

And Ray is a fucking badass force savant. She is so awesome she is almost more of a plot device than a character...but I thought it worked. She and that rebel pilot were almost too awesome to be real. But again I actually thought that worked fine. She better be Luke's secret daughter. Space Opera convention demands it. Don't get cute on us Abrams.

:yes:

Grallon

I finally saw it, on a cam recorded torrent since I couldn't muster enough enthusiasm to suffer crowds in a public venue.

I pretty much agree with Delirium's assessment: derivative and over indulging in self-references.

As for specifics, I'll simply reply to Tyr.

Quote from: Tyr on December 29, 2015, 03:38:21 PM

Who is the wee monster lady? Hmm.

Obviously a cash-in on Yoda.  I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of her in the next installments.  More nostalgia wallowing *shakes head*.

Leia...just me or did she used to have a posh accent?

I don't recall the accent but I sure can see how the tales of Fisher's years of substance abuse were true: she looks ancient and worn out, even under all the set makeup!

Amusing that the main villain is an angsty teen.

Strangely, in the bad recording I saw, he looked super cute and made me think of a young Snapes in Harry Potter.  I googled him afterwards and he's actually not that cute - mid 30s I'd say - and sporting a beard most of the time.  Thank all the gods there are it's not one of those horrid full bush beards young men seem to fancy so much recently.  My guess is it's motivated by some subconscious desire to not look so weak when compared to the 'romantic' jihadis who are constantly all over the news...

I don't quite get the first order and the resistance. How come the Republic can't fight these new empire guys themselves? Why do they need to go straight to being a rebellion?

If I had to guess I'd say Abrams promised his handlers to deliver a cash cow - hence all the derivative stuff - and we'll see his *real* movie with the next one.  He'll have been - hell he already is - successful - so he'll be allowed to craft his own vision moving forward.

Very nice ending with Luke actually being shown. Feels more satisfying than what it seemed they were going to do and have a big long boring  setup for the next film "the search for luke".

Much gravitas in that last scene - my favorite in fact.  I would say Luke looked somewhat... upset to see the girl - and the saber she carries...  Perhaps Malthus was right about his own tongue-in-cheek speculation; him becoming mastermind of the dark side would certainly be an interesting twist.  We shall see if Disney allows *that*.

As for the future, my one hope is to have Luke or someone else make some abrasive cynical comment about 'how could this 'First Order' ever gain momentum following someone named 'Snoke'?  It belongs in a circus - not at the helm of a fearsome galaxy spanning organization.  But then again, if Malthus is right, it could be more smokescreen - both the name and the offhand remark...

So overall, and while I will try to find a 1080 copy of it in order to re-watch it with better sound *and* to avoid the above mentioned fanboy crowds, I'd say it's a middle of the road movie.  It accomplishes what it set out to do - revamp a franchise damaged by its hubris-mad creator by stroking every SW fan's wallet - but there's nothing original there.  The next film is the one to watch; if it's more of the same I'll lose interest completely.  I suspect the man will take liberties with number 8 - and we'll see if they turn out to be happy ones.  Does anyone know if there's a time frame for the next release?

G.

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Well yeah Grallon we all expected it to be derivative. But, as I said, that's alright. Keep it simple.

QuoteStrangely, in the bad recording I saw, he looked super cute and made me think of a young Snapes in Harry Potter.  I googled him afterwards and he's actually not that cute - mid 30s I'd say - and sporting a beard most of the time.  Thank all the gods there are it's not one of those horrid full bush beards young men seem to fancy so much recently.  My guess is it's motivated by some subconscious desire to not look so weak when compared to the 'romantic' jihadis who are constantly all over the news...

I had never heard that one before. Your obsession with Islam is getting a bit ridiculous.

QuoteMuch gravitas in that last scene - my favorite in fact.  I would say Luke looked somewhat... upset to see the girl - and the saber she carries...  Perhaps Malthus was right about his own tongue-in-cheek speculation; him becoming mastermind of the dark side would certainly be an interesting twist.  We shall see if Disney allows *that*.

As for the future, my one hope is to have Luke or someone else make some abrasive cynical comment about 'how could this 'First Order' ever gain momentum following someone named 'Snoke'?  It belongs in a circus - not at the helm of a fearsome galaxy spanning organization.  But then again, if Malthus is right, it could be more smokescreen - both the name and the offhand remark...

:lol: You have got to be kidding. And no cynicism like that in Star Wars would be lame as hell.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I am shocked that grallon is not attracted to a guy who is only several years his junior (but not enough to be his son) and shows signs of being past puberty.  :lol:

Martinus

That being said, the movie was definitely not packed with male hotness - personally, I felt General Hux was the closest to my usual type.

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2016, 01:13:21 AM
That being said, the movie was definitely not packed with male hotness - personally, I felt General Hux was the closest to my usual type.

What about the negro?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2016, 01:13:21 AM

Not female hotness either, Daisy Ridley is merely cute by Hollywood standards. Definitely not a hot cast.

Jaron

She is perfect nerd bait. She's not hot enough that she wouldn't give the time of day to the legion of neck bearded star wars nerds. She's pretty enough to be eye candy, but ordinary enough looking that SW geeks can day dream of meeting her at the local arcade and having a wookiee themed wedding.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

I've watched a few interviews with John Boyega. He seems like a funny, but very grounded and humble guy. I hope he stays that way. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

In only 20 days Episode VII has dismantled Avatar's all time U.S. revenue record (Avatar needed 7 months for that). :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2016, 09:08:00 AM
In only 20 days Episode VII has dismantled Avatar's all time U.S. revenue record (Avatar needed 7 months for that). :lol:

Wow, they did go all out on advertisements but that's just insane. At least it's a better movie than Avatar so there's that.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk