Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on January 06, 2016, 02:33:43 AM
I received the Visual Dictionary for Ep. VII yesterday. It has some good news for KotOR fans. It has a map that lists the usual systems - Tatooine, Coruscant, Yavin, Mandalore, Naboo, Korriban Moraband <_< , etc. (And the Resistance base and Starkiller base are on literally opposite ends of the galaxy, which makes me wonder just how fucking fast traveling through hyperspace is.)

It also includes Rakata Prime. Pablo Hidalgo, who wrote the book, has confirmed its canon status. The book also explains that Kylo Ren's lightsaber is an ancient dating back thousands of years to the Great Scourge of Malachor. The Clone Wars show of course included some Old Republic material (e.g. the planets Ilum and Onderon, for example). And the book Aftermath had a short scene taking place on Taris (it didn't speak of its history, and it seems to be a crappy slum planet now; at least from what's seen in the book).

I'm guessing it's mostly fan service, though.

:nerd:

there was a moment in the movie where I could not be think: this is reference to KOTOR.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2016, 01:10:48 PM
Don't get cute on us Abrams.
he's not involved in anything Star Wars for the foreseeable future, so it shouldn't be a problem ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on January 06, 2016, 02:05:58 PM
Sounds reasonable.  :P

Search your heart, you know it to be true.  ;)

It also fits with the general "mirror-ing" of the new movies: in the first set, the big twist was that Luke found out his dad was, and that it was Darth Vader - that is, the good guy finds out his dad is the Big Bad.

In the second set, the big twist is that the new heroine - Rey - not only finds out her dad is Luke, but that he's really the Big Bad.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 06, 2016, 02:11:20 PM
I received the Visual Dictionary for Ep. VII yesterday. It has some good news for KotOR fans. It has a map that lists the usual systems - Tatooine, Coruscant, Yavin, Mandalore, Naboo, Korriban Moraband <_< , etc. (And the Resistance base and Starkiller base are on literally opposite ends of the galaxy, which makes me wonder just how fucking fast traveling through hyperspace is.)

It also includes Rakata Prime. Pablo Hidalgo, who wrote the book, has confirmed its canon status. The book also explains that Kylo Ren's lightsaber is an ancient dating back thousands of years to the Great Scourge of Malachor. The Clone Wars show of course included some Old Republic material (e.g. the planets Ilum and Onderon, for example). And the book Aftermath had a short scene taking place on Taris (it didn't speak of its history, and it seems to be a crappy slum planet now; at least from what's seen in the book).

there was a moment in the movie where I could not be think: this is reference to KOTOR.

Kylo Ren's appearance blatantly draws from Revan, imho.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2016, 01:49:36 PM
I look forward to 'The First Order Strikes Back'
More the "Republic Strikes Back" after the destruction of their rotating capital.
Given there was lots of pacifists and pro First Order Senators preventing full on war between the biggest military machine in the galaxy and the Empire's offshoot wannabes, it could be interesting.  The Republic marches to war, crush all resistance mercilessly, hunts down all Stormtroopers with Phasma being the last remnant of a dying order.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2016, 01:53:52 PM
But surely they've laid out the broad brushes of where this story is going to go, right?  Or is that asking too much from the man who brought us Lost. :(
isn't "Executive producer" more of an honorary title, something you negotiate to get a piece of the money a movie/tv show will generate while not actually being involved in its creation?

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2016, 01:54:12 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 06, 2016, 01:52:39 PM
Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan co wrote VII

Well then color me confused. I hope he does a decent job with that opening scene on the Ice Planet.
I can imagine the scene: a fleet of Star Destroyer entering hyperspace just as the text finishes rolling.  An angry Kylo Ren receiving report that there's now a powerful shield above the 6th planet in the sector proceeds to trash his console immediatly after ordering an invasion.  Once on the ground, they realize it's a decoy, just as the planet explodes, killing everyone on it, then a fleet of NNR ships (New New Republic) comes out of hyperspace with a few interdictor cruisers, trap the Imperials, bombard the shocked survivors into oblivion before disapearing once again into the far depts of space.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 06, 2016, 02:14:28 PM

Would go with the Old Republic inspired light saber.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on January 06, 2016, 02:14:28 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 06, 2016, 02:11:20 PM

that too, indeed. Very much indeed. The reference was something spoken though, iirc. Can't quite remember what it was however.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 06, 2016, 02:45:26 PM
that too, indeed. Very much indeed. The reference was something spoken though, iirc. Can't quite remember what it was however.

Dude...don't do this to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."