Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

About the actor payments - I seem to recall that Ford was paid something like $10,000 for ANH. He only got the part because he was working as carpenter in the offices where the casting was done, and Lucas asked him to help out with the line readings. Ford nailed the part so well that he got the role.

On the other hand, "Guinness was one of the few cast members who believed that the film would be successful; he negotiated a deal for 2% of the one-fifth gross royalties paid to George Lucas, which made him quite wealthy in later life." (Wiki) I read somewhere that he made close to $100,000,000 from the movies.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: derspiess on December 23, 2015, 01:44:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2015, 04:53:10 PM
Timmy totally didn't recognize Han or Leia (or Luke for that matter).  I guess they do look fairly different than 30 years ago. :(

Tommy was a little freaked out by how old Leia was.

I was freaked out too, guess the health problems have aged her a lot  :(

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on December 19, 2015, 05:04:44 AM
So I don't come across as a hater I'll say that I liked Rey and Kylo Ren a lot. Ren is the kind of insecure and powerful young man that Anakin Skywalker should have been in the prequels. Since both characters look like they will be the core of the new saga, I'm already sold on that aspect.

Ren is probably the only thing that sets this movie apart from being a mere retread of A New Hope, too.

When I first heard him speak through the mask I thought the voice was all wrong.  Too weak and hollow.  But then as the movie went on, that is exactly what they were going for.  I thought the characters were much more compelling than the other movies. 

frunk

I didn't find Rey to be that much of a Mary Sue.  Highly competent yes, but the fight with Kylo Ren wasn't necessarily an example of it.  It seems clear that either Kylo isn't much of a fighter or was a bit discombobulated after killing his father.  Finn was able to hang with him far too long for Kylo to be on the level of the skilled practitioners of the lit sword from previous movies.

Berkut

Quote from: frunk on December 24, 2015, 07:24:53 PM
I didn't find Rey to be that much of a Mary Sue.  Highly competent yes, but the fight with Kylo Ren wasn't necessarily an example of it.  It seems clear that either Kylo isn't much of a fighter or was a bit discombobulated after killing his father.  Finn was able to hang with him far too long for Kylo to be on the level of the skilled practitioners of the lit sword from previous movies.

I would also speculate that Dark Side force users (and light side for that matter) would not really be very good swordsman in this universe.

After all, who would Ren practice against? He is one of a couple Sith Force users in the galaxy at this time, and any enemy he runs into he can dispatch easily without the need to get into some kind of saber duel.

There really isn't any reason to believe that he would be a better melee fighter than Rey, in fact - and running into another force user, where their force powers negate each other, he could find himself easily outmatched by someone who has NOT had the force to rely on all their lives.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ender

Quote from: Barrister on December 22, 2015, 11:29:44 PM
My little guys were playing Star Wars tonight.

Timmy started out playing as Luke.  Andrew couldn't decide who he wanted to be, but eventually decided he wanted to be the guy who turned into stone.  We figured out he meant Han.

But then later Timmy decided he'd much rather be Rey.  She was much cooler, like some sort of ninja (his words).
You let your boys play female characters?
Bad move, daddy.
I see a Martinus in your future.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould