Donald Trump Calls for Barring Muslims From Entering U.S.

Started by Syt, December 07, 2015, 05:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 09, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
My Grandmother's maiden name was Hess...  I think some of her relatives had some trouble.

Serves them right for being fans of Spandau Ballet, one of who's records was a war crime in itself.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2015, 05:00:52 PM
I have been, which is why I'm so surprised you'd ever heard about him.  The only book I can find about him was a French-only book published in 1981.  Did you actually read that book?  If not... I'm just curious - where did you hear about this guy?

I googled "Canadian demagogue."  How else would one find out about Canadian demagogues?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2015, 06:19:03 PM
Quote from: Caliga on December 09, 2015, 05:49:19 PM
IIRC German nationals only.  Japanese-Americans were interned regardless of citizenship.

American citizens of German descent were also interned, but again in smaller numbers.

Yes, but the few involved were detained on an individual basis and after due process.  That's a whole different case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

I wonder how it feels to live in a country where there is a real possibility that Trump could become president.  You never know what the guy is going to say next  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2015, 04:24:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 01:09:17 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2015, 01:03:09 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2015, 12:13:48 PM
...My point of comparing the Canadian experience with the American experience is that we have never had the kind of demagogue Americans have had... 

Yes, Canada has, of course, had such demagogues.  Réal Caouette was one, for instance.

Demagogue means something different than you think it does then.

QuoteCaouette fought for bilingualism in the House of Commons, winning a symbolic victory when he got the Parliament's restaurant to produce bilingual menus.[1] In this, he anticipated the official bilingualism policy that would later be put into effect by Pierre Trudeau.

No, that's not what made him a demagogue!  :lol:

You're right!

11B4V

Quote from: Monoriu on December 09, 2015, 07:54:35 PM
I wonder how it feels to live in a country where there is a real possibility that Trump could become president.  You never know what the guy is going to say next  :lol:

Never a dull moment.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2015, 07:36:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 09, 2015, 05:00:52 PM
I have been, which is why I'm so surprised you'd ever heard about him.  The only book I can find about him was a French-only book published in 1981.  Did you actually read that book?  If not... I'm just curious - where did you hear about this guy?

I googled "Canadian demagogue."  How else would one find out about Canadian demagogues?

Thought it would be something like that.  He's just such an obscure figure.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on December 09, 2015, 09:03:53 PM

Never a dull moment.

I feel like his shtick is wearing thin. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

The Germans got it in WW1.

The Italians-American leaders worked very hard to repudiate Mussolini as much as possible before the US entered the war, or at least that was my sense. They didn't want to get it like the Germans did.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2015, 11:25:30 PM
The Germans got it in WW1.

The Italians-American leaders worked very hard to repudiate Mussolini as much as possible before the US entered the war, or at least that was my sense. They didn't want to get it like the Germans did.

Also, Italian Americans were an important democratic voting block.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 09, 2015, 09:14:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 09, 2015, 09:03:53 PM

Never a dull moment.

I feel like his shtick is wearing thin. /shrug
hmm...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on December 08, 2015, 08:08:09 AM
It's like he doesn't seriously want to be president, so he's trying to sabotage his campaign by being as insane and bigoted as he can, yet he's getting the exact opposite result so he goes double or nothing the following day.

Eddie Teach

I don't think you can simply reduce "Trump-ism" to mere nativism. He's a snake oil salesman who's convinced a few people that he has all the answers. Tom Tancredo campaigned on hardline enforcement of immigration laws and got nowhere.

Anyway, I was saying *I* disagree with Mono, Trump is starting to bore *me*. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean other people won't vote for him, or that the press will stop talking about him constantly.