Main Menu

French regional elections

Started by Duque de Bragança, December 06, 2015, 03:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Monoriu on December 13, 2015, 09:49:09 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 13, 2015, 06:45:35 AM

Marion picture of the day for Languish.

She is young, but her looks are average at best.  5/10.

Picky Mono?  :D
Not her best picture, I'll grant you that. Why don't you post pictures of your wife so we can compare?  :P

Admiral Yi

She definitely has a good side and a bad side.

Duque de Bragança

I'd rather be on her good side. :wub:

Map of the results.
Not mentioned yet, but Corsican regionalist/nationalists/mafiosi have won the region.

edited as per Liep's suggestion

Eddie Teach

So the party on the right won Paris?  :hmm:

Which issues are big in French politics?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Archy

In centralised France what are the powers of the regions?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 14, 2015, 05:39:02 AM
So the party on the right won Paris?  :hmm:

Well, technically they did not won Paris. However, they won the region. I helped counting the votes in my area, and only 8 out of 20 arrondissements voted for the centre and right. Yes, centre is usually associated with the right/conservatives in France.

Liep

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 14, 2015, 05:15:04 AM

Map of the results, huge (sorry).
Not mentioned yet, but Corsican regionalist/nationalists/mafiosi have won the region.

*hint* add width=XXX to the [img] tag
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

Nice tip! I pass up good pics all the time because they're just too big.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on December 14, 2015, 06:30:06 AM

Map of the results, huge (sorry).

*hint* add width=XXX to the [img] tag

Oh, that's very nice to know.

Martinus

Map of the results

edited as per Liep's suggestion

So where is the Black Prince going to land?

Duque de Bragança

Hopefully, the Calais jungle: problem solved!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Archy on December 14, 2015, 06:21:22 AM
In centralised France what are the powers of the regions?

Jacobin France is a thing of the past, more of a costly bastard hybrid régime.

QuoteRegions lack separate legislative authority and therefore cannot write their own statutory law. They levy their own taxes and, in return, receive a decreasing part of their budget from the central government, which gives them a portion of the taxes it levies. They also have considerable budgets managed by a regional council (conseil régional) made up of representatives voted into office in regional elections.

A region's primary responsibility is to build and furnish high schools. In March 2004, the French central government unveiled a controversial plan to transfer regulation of certain categories of non-teaching school staff to the regional authorities. Critics of this plan contended that tax revenue was insufficient to pay for the resulting costs, and that such measures would increase regional inequalities.

In addition, regions have considerable discretionary power over infrastructural spending, e.g., education, public transit, universities and research, and assistance to business owners. This has meant that the heads of wealthy regions such as Île-de-France or Rhône-Alpes can be high-profile positions.

As I said earlier in the thread, the FN's favorite policies cannot really be enforced at the regional level.

English wiki article is accurate enough about the role of French regions, though the geography of the first map is outdated.

Liep

Uncharacteristic for the French to not come up with a better sounding name than "Centre".
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Outdated map as I said, and probably text limitations. Actually, people refer more and more to that region as Val-de-Loire, Loire Valley (Castle valley). Not great, but better.

The Larch

IIRC French regions are pretty powerless so whoever rules them is not really in a position to implement anything groundbreaking. As Duque said, they can't even produce their own legislation and are basically a management instrument, not really something very ideological.