News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2016, 03:11:50 AM
I do think it is a poor one as it makes it seem like that kind of opinion is something we should care about/by comparison has a slight tinge that Trump's marital relations are immoral. Still very unlikely that a twice divorced Hil would be looked upon kindly.
It's not that Trump's marital relations are immoral, it's that Republicans would certainly criticize Hillary for that, just as they worried about the other Clinton's sex life, and just as this Clinton husband's infidelity has been used against her by republican-types.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2016, 12:13:49 PM
I do think it is a poor one as it makes it seem like that kind of opinion is something we should care about/by comparison has a slight tinge that Trump's marital relations are immoral. Still very unlikely that a twice divorced Hil would be looked upon kindly.
It's not that Trump's marital relations are immoral, it's that Republicans would certainly criticize Hillary for that, just as they worried about the other Clinton's sex life, and just as this Clinton husband's infidelity has been used against her by republican-types.

Yes, I understand that. What I'm saying though is that those other sorts of thoughts (the ones I mentioned) are things that come to mind when seeing such a complaint.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2016, 12:13:49 PM

Hillary has been consistently criticized as an enabler, which by the GOP's own Harper Valley PTA standards, is as bad--if not worse--than the adultery itself...hell, Trump has already called Bill Clinton a rapist, so we have plenty of time for him to set himself on fire and call Hillary an accomplice to rape.  My bet would be during a debate.

11B4V

Not going to miss those for the world.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on August 16, 2016, 08:37:41 PM
Not going to miss those for the world.

I think you are, because the Donald wants you to. :lol: 

He won the nomination sitting out; hell, they cancelled one just because he didn't attend.  In his mind, that will work for him again.

11B4V

All she has to do is start needling him if he does that. His ego will get the best of him.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Darth Wagtaros

That one isn't far from the truth. So not really a folly.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 19, 2016, 07:37:11 AM

I mainly just post anything here that I come across on social media that is a folly...or I think worthy of note. -_-

Martinus

CountDeMoney

Hey, if it gets the little shits reading...

garbon

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/i-love-you-but-our-happiness-doesnt-fit-my-personal-brands-narrative-strategy

QuoteI LOVE YOU, BUT OUR HAPPINESS DOESN'T FIT MY PERSONAL BRAND'S NARRATIVE STRATEGY.

BY MATTHEW SCHMID

- - - -
I've noticed that you've been a little upset about my recent social media output, particularly the tweet, "Oh my god, will the loneliness never end? #ImMiserable" which, as you deftly noticed, was tweeted during our second anniversary dinner date. As my significant other, you have every right to be upset. But, as I've said many times: I love you, but our happiness doesn't fit my personal brand narrative strategy.

My market research shows that nihilism is hot right now. Malcontent millennials tend to share posts significantly more if they contain phrases like "I'm dead inside" or "I'm am consumed by despair." So, while I do love you and love the life we share together, expressing that joy on social media would undo all the work I've put into carefully crafting my personal brand's "voice." It's called strategy for a reason, babe.

I have 665 followers on Twitter — that's almost 700. Can you imagine what would happen if all of the sudden my personal brand narrative went from self-deprecating existential musings to "Hey guys, I'm in love!" What would my followers think? Sure, most of them are our mutual friends and colleagues, but still, who would they turn to? I can't bear the thought of ever finding out.

If I want to have a strong brand narrative, my "voice" has to be consistent across all distribution channels. So, yes, that does mean captioning Instagram photos of us with "If I had a time machine I would change everything. EVERYTHING." And yes, that does mean that when I check into our favorite restaurant on Facebook the caption is just that straight-line-mouth emoticon. And, yes again, that even means pinning cross-stitch patterns that say STARING INTO THE ENDLESS BLACK VOID on my Pinterest page. That's just strong brand equity common sense.

And, really, just because I am not constantly professing my love for you online doesn't mean I don't love you. I do love you. I tell you that all the time in private. So, when I say "I love you, you are my life," I mean it. The fact that I tweet, "I hate my life, I want to die" immediately afterward doesn't change a thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2016, 04:51:46 PM

Hey, if it gets the little shits reading...

I honestly don't remember reading anything that was classified as "young adult" when I was teenager.  My parents taught me to read very early, and I had to read a book a week in grade school (for my parents, not for the school.  They didn't give a shit if I could read or not).  Mostly really boring novels written in 1950's.  The results were a bit ...uneven.  I could read at a college level before I could tell left from right and had the periodic table memorized before I could tie my shoes.  That was sort of embarrassing in Junior High.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Gotta love that one.  I'll report in a week to tell you how many people on my FB have shared this without thinking about it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.