News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Tashfeen Malik citizenship not released.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2015, 01:25:49 AM
She's not particularly cute by any standards. Possibly average. Average isn't bad.

She's cute enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2015, 01:26:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2015, 01:25:42 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 03, 2015, 01:24:44 AM
Or you  could just say you were wrong.

I have. Several times.

So what's stopping you now?

I did. I said it looks like Islamism now with the current information.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Valmy just likes to jump to conclusions.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Summary of the press conference.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2015/dec/02/san-bernardino-shooting-live-coverage

QuoteWhat we know so far

Following the latest police news conference, here is what we now know about Wednesday's deadly attack in San Bernardino:

14 people have been killed and 17 injured in a mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center, a community center for people with disabilities.

The two attackers were named as Syed Rizwan Farook, a 28-year-old man, and Tashfeen Malik, a 27-year-old woman. Police said they were in a relationship and possibly married.
Both suspects were killed after engaging in a shootout with police while fleeing in a dark-coloured SUV.

The two suspects were armed with assault rifles and handguns, and were dressed in dark clothing "loaded with magazines for a gunfight".

A third person who was detained close to the shoot-out has not been identified and it is not certain he was involved in the attack on the center.

Police chief Jarrod Burguan said "there had to be some degree of planning in this" and multiple explosive devices have been found at the Inland Regional Center.

Farook, an employee of the environmental health team, was involved in a dispute at a Christmas party being held at the center on Wednesday morning, and left before returning to open fire, police said.

Farhan Khan, Farook's brother-in-law, said he had "absolutely no idea" why his relative would have carried out the massacre.

An FBI official, David Bowdich, said it was too early to class this as an act of terrorism:

I am still not willing to say if we know that for sure ... It is a possibility but we don't know that yet and we're not willing to go down that road yet.

FBI agents are still searching a house in Redlands, south-east of San Bernardino, which is connected to Farook.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on December 03, 2015, 01:33:32 AM
Valmy just likes to jump to conclusions.

I am not making conclusions just speculating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Ok, so if this was just the guy and his crazy bitch of a wife, this gives some credence back to the disgruntled employee hypothesis.

Valmy

QuoteAn FBI official, David Bowdich, said it was too early to class this as an act of terrorism

Well let's see...mass shooting plus explosives being set...probably not trying to keep the body count low.

Jaron

Let's say terrorism, fine, but is it Islamic terrorism?

It just doesn't feel that way. Even if this dude got brain washed and wanted to do him some Islam, why would he choose that location of all places?

If they wanted to make a suicidal splash, Los Angeles isn't too far away. Could have lit up down town or something.

The problem is, as the CdM says, Muslims can crack too and do some violence and it can be random and terrible and awful and have nothing to do with Islam.

The fact that ISIS tweeted something about being proud of the 3 shooters when there was actually two points to me that at least the relationship wasn't two sided. Maybe they did idolize ISIS and their work but it doesn't seem like they were part of the organization.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

I think the difference between terrorism and ordinary crime is that, in a terrorist attack, the victims have no direct link with the attackers.  In this case however, the link is obvious.

Jaron

We must immediate terminate all relations with the Saudi and place a travel ban to that country.

Admiral Yi

She's average.  Very nice smile, nice eyes, good skin, ridiculous nose.  The nose is the foundation of a girl's looks.

Syt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/12/02/hours-before-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-doctors-were-on-capitol-hill-petitioning-congress-to-lift-ban-on-gun-violence-research/

QuoteHours before San Bernardino shooting, doctors urged Congress to lift funding ban on gun violence research

On Wednesday morning, a group of doctors in white coats arrived on Capitol Hill to deliver a petition to Congress. Signed by more than 2,000 physicians around the country, it pleads with lawmakers to lift a restriction that for nearly two decades has essentially blocked the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from conducting research on gun violence.

Joined by a handful of Democratic lawmakers, the doctors spoke about the need to view gun violence as a public health epidemic and research ways to solve it – as the country would with any disease causing the deaths of thousands of Americans each year.

[Gunmen slay 14 in Calif. in deadliest mass shooting since Sandy Hook]

"It is disappointing that we have made little progress over the past 20 years in finding solutions to gun violence," said Nina Agrawal, a New York physician and member of the advocacy group Doctors for America, according to the group's Twitter feed.

"We should all be able to agree that this debate should be informed by objective data and scientific research," said Rep. David Price (D-N.C.).

The group cited a letter released by former Rep. Jay Dickey of Arkansas, who authored an amendment that restricted federal funding for research into gun violence and its effects on public health. He now regrets that effort.

"Research could have been continued on gun violence without infringing on the rights of gun owners," wrote Dickey, who has said he only wanted to ensure that no dollars went to gun control advocacy. "Somehow or someway we should slowly but methodically fund such research until a solution is reached. Doing nothing is no longer an acceptable solution."

After the speeches and presentations, after the group posed for pictures, Wednesday's event ended. The crowd dispersed. And hours later, another mass shooting began to unfold in San Bernardino, Calif. Multiple shooters, multiple victims – with 14 dead and even more wounded.

Perhaps that's not as much of a coincidence as it might seem, given that the United States has experienced an average of more than one mass shooting for every day of 2015.

"It's ironic," Price said in an interview Wednesday evening, after the extent of the carnage in California became clearer. "It certain does underscore what we were saying earlier today about the scourge of gun violence, which has become such a feature of our daily lives."

Yet maybe it really wasn't that ironic, he added a moment later, given the all-too-familiar scenes. "What we were saying this morning was just one piece of this, but surely it is the least we can do to take the shackles off our researchers and begin to understand this problem more fully," Price said. "What we're talking about is really very modest and very basic."

Others raised the issue of the research ban after the mass shooting that killed 10 people at an Oregon community college in October.

[The San Bernardino shooting would be the second mass shooting today and the 355th this year]

Congressional lawmakers "control the purse strings. They could change this today, if they wanted to," Daniel Webster, who directs the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore, told the Post at the time.

Webster wasn't optimistic that change would come anytime soon. But like the doctors who made their plea to lawmakers on Capitol Hill early Wednesday, hours before gunfire rocked another community, he hoped it would come sooner than later.

"It just affects the basic things we care about in public health – the mortality, the life expectancy, morbidity, mental health. It affects all of those things in pretty profound ways," Webster said of gun violence. "If we had a disease that was killing as many people as our guns in our country, we would devote a lot more resources to make sure we had the best data, the best research to know what is most affected."

The article quotes a tweet that guns are the leading cause of death among children in America?  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

Aye. Kids are prone to shooting themselves if they get their hands on a gun.