News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2015, 12:46:18 PM
The no fly list has been hated ever since it was first invented. Nobody knows how somebody gets on it and it is almost impossible to get off it.

I fume every time I hear "no-fly list" and "we cannot allow terrorists to make us compromise our values" in the same sentence.

KRonn

Quote from: sbr on December 07, 2015, 12:50:19 PM
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/673687588591439873

Ted cruz has a plan too:
CRUZ: IF I AM ELECTED PRESIDENT, I WILL DIRECT THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE TO DESTROY ISIS

Probably a very bad idea to make this a US/Western war. What is needed are ground troops but most of them need to be Muslim troops. This is mostly their war, a huge threat to them and their governments and way of life. The US/West probably needs to provide support and maybe a small ground force but invading ISIS has to be seen as a Muslim endeavor. If the US/West takes on the biggest part then it rallies ISIS minded types to the cause. Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the Gulf states are all Sunni and if some of them could be willing to take this on then that's what's needed. Those nations taking this on is like herding a bunch of cats but maybe a few of them are willing but would need assistance.

I wonder too if this would greatly annoy Shia Iran? Several Muslim states banding together like that, even if it is to fight a common enemy. After all, Iraq doesn't want the US there, or any foreign troops as they're a partially owned subsidiary of Iran now and Iran is calling at least some of the shots. Heh, part of the mess in the Mid East is the Sunni vs Shia animosity.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 12:45:11 PM
WTF was up with the FBI and cops allowing the home of the terrorists of San Bernadino to be opened to the public? They say they have everything but that was only after a day or two of perusing the place. What if they have to go back when they find out more info during their investigation, which will take a long time as they investigate other people and connections.

Only after a couple of days? Some roadies found a leg which belonged to a terrorist in the Bataclan 15 days after the attack. Guess the police was not interested enough.  :hmm:
Belonged to a suicide bomber to be precise, so not exactly comparable to San Bernardino.

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/la-jambe-d-un-kamikaze-du-bataclan-retrouvee-15-jours-apres-l-attentat-02-12-2015-1986527_23.php

KRonn

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 07, 2015, 01:08:05 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 12:45:11 PM
WTF was up with the FBI and cops allowing the home of the terrorists of San Bernadino to be opened to the public? They say they have everything but that was only after a day or two of perusing the place. What if they have to go back when they find out more info during their investigation, which will take a long time as they investigate other people and connections.

Only after a couple of days? Some roadies found a leg which belonged to a terrorist in the Bataclan 15 days after the attack. Guess the police was not interested enough.  :hmm:
Belonged to a suicide bomber to be precise, so not exactly comparable to San Bernardino.

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/la-jambe-d-un-kamikaze-du-bataclan-retrouvee-15-jours-apres-l-attentat-02-12-2015-1986527_23.php

Yes, even news outlets who visited the house were shocked at the idea, but of course they went there anyway.

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 12:57:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 07, 2015, 12:45:32 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 07, 2015, 12:40:17 PM

Agreed, lame. Same old stuff, nothing new about ISIS or going after terrorism. Fine that he talks about we shouldn't be going after Muslims in the US, but there really hasn't been any serious attacks on Muslims. He spent the most of it, some 30 percent, on guns and whatever else he doesn't like about what Americans are doing. Not enough on terrorism and nothing new.

And what "new stuff" should be said?

He's the President, he needs to figure out what will work. We were just hit with a terrorist attack and he goes on like his policy is working. For example, ISIS has been telling people that they don't have to come to the Mid East to join the fight, that they can make attacks where they are. Also social media, the propaganda war and other venues are likely places that can be beefed up. He could have talked about making changes there. Things like that for starters.
If even you can't think of meaningless platitudes that could be said, then how can you expect Obama to come up with them?

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2015, 01:19:06 PM

Agreed, lame. Same old stuff, nothing new about ISIS or going after terrorism. Fine that he talks about we shouldn't be going after Muslims in the US, but there really hasn't been any serious attacks on Muslims. He spent the most of it, some 30 percent, on guns and whatever else he doesn't like about what Americans are doing. Not enough on terrorism and nothing new.

He's the President, he needs to figure out what will work. We were just hit with a terrorist attack and he goes on like his policy is working. For example, ISIS has been telling people that they don't have to come to the Mid East to join the fight, that they can make attacks where they are. Also social media, the propaganda war and other venues are likely places that can be beefed up. He could have talked about making changes there. Things like that for starters.
If even you can't think of meaningless platitudes that could be said, then how can you expect Obama to come up with them?

I gave examples of areas of concern to authorities as examples and places to start which are items discussed by officials. I'm sure there's more that law enforcement and Homeboy Security can come up with.

DGuller

So one terrorist attack of small magnitude is all it takes to decide that the anti-terrorist policy is not working, and that we should act rashly for a change?

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2015, 12:51:06 PM
WTF. Why didn't we think of that before???

Yeah, that could mean the DoD would be allowed to also do offence.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

The latest coming out that I'm hearing today. Father and mother were divorced. The father was interviewed by an Italian news paper. He said he knew his son was becoming extreme. Used to argue with him about it, to keep calm, work and enjoy family and forget all the anger. It doen't seem he had an idea of what his son was up to though.

The mother seems to be the radical of the family, just like with the Marathon bombers the Tsarnaevs. She belongs to some radical groups in Pakistan. She may have known but at the least she was likely coaching her kid.

The wife was also from a radical Pakistani family. She had lied to officials when applying for a Visa for marriage during vetting. She and the mother were likely the main instigators. The son was more of a mother's boy, according to his dad, so probably became radicalized by his wife and mother.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2015, 01:34:47 PM
So one terrorist attack of small magnitude is all it takes to decide that the anti-terrorist policy is not working, and that we should act rashly for a change?

There hve been a lot more going on with arrests, broken up plots, some of those being major plots. Like a plot to attack NYC not too long ago. And actual attacks like this one, one in Chattanooga recruitment office, Boston Marathon and smaller attacks. More people being arrested lately who claim allegiance to ISIS. Over a thousand active cases being monitored by the FBI in all fifty states.

Admiral Yi

I've always been a mortal foe of doing something just so you can be seen as doing something *cough* Syrian Free Army *cough* but I don't see the point of a nationwide address by the president to announce he's not going to do much different.

sbr

On my phone so can't get too deep, but you mention social media. Do you think the president should tell companies to limit the speech of American citizens?

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2015, 01:34:47 PM
Following the attacks in Paris, there was a nice piece where the FBI was complaining they knew of thousand of radicals in the US and could not do anything about it until they striked.

They can't prevent them from buying a gun, they can't seize their guns if they have one, they can't arrest them because it's not a crime to wish for American deaths or cheer everytime it happens, they can't put 24/24 surveillance on them, they can't raid the Mosque they are radicalized in, they basically are just left waiting for the inevitable to happen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Quote from: sbr on December 07, 2015, 02:02:58 PM

On my phone so can't get too deep, but you mention social media. Do you think the president should tell companies to limit the speech of American citizens?

The issue was that the President's speech was nothing new where people were expecting more after the latest attack. Suggesting that maybe obstructing ISIS/AQ there could be expanded, nothing about having to curtail rights or something. All our governments are already trying to combat them there.

Razgovory

So two people shoot and kill 14 people and we need a to upend our terrorism strategy.  Three years ago one guy shoots and kills 20 people and nothing should happen?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017