News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mass shooting in San Bernadino

Started by Syt, December 02, 2015, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/02/the-san-bernardino-mass-shooting-is-the-second-today-and-the-355th-this-year/

The San Bernardino shooting would be the 355th mass shooting this year, according to a mass shooting tracker maintained by the Guns Are Cool subreddit. The Reddit tracker defines mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people, including the gunman, are killed or injured by gunfire. The Mass Shooting Tracker is different from other shooting databases in that it uses a broader definition of mass shooting — the old FBI definition focused on four or more people killed as part of a single shooting.

It would be also be the second mass shooting just today -- in the early morning hours, one person was killed and three were injured in an incident in Savannah, Georgia.

Speaking after the Colorado Springs shooting last week, President Obama urged Americans to not let this type of violence "become normal." But the data show that this type of incident already is normal. There have been more mass shootings than calendar days so far this year.

The number of mass shootings so far this year has already surpassed the total number of mass shootings in 2014, according to the Reddit tracker. And the pace is well above 2013's pace, when a total of 363 mass shootings occurred.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

At the moment it is a completely baffling attack  :hmm:

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2015, 04:22:10 PM
I saw such stuff being reported, too, but I didn't want to post that, what with Jake on the SJW war path. I admit this does not seem like their usual M.O.

Too many responses, too few fucks to give.

The Brain

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 02, 2015, 04:18:07 PM
Some reports that just came over the PD scanner make it sound like it might be mooncrickets.

Er... :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on December 02, 2015, 04:23:00 PM
I thought "moon cricket" was a slur for black people.

Huh? Well that just makes no sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Urban dictionary (and my own recall of CdM's colourful language) confirms:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moon+cricket
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I think Seedy called them moon worshipers (and dune coons).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2015, 04:31:16 PM

Urban dictionary (and my own recall of CdM's colourful language) confirms:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moon+cricket

Ah well I just saw 'moon' and thought it was a CdM term for Muslims.

Anyway either way this one is pretty different from the typical run of the mill mass shooting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 04:33:59 PM
Anyway either way this one is pretty different from the typical run of the mill mass shooting.

Yes. It seems to have been planned more thoroughly than going in, guns blazing, and causing as much havoc as possible till the cops arrive and kill you. So it's probably some sort of terror cell - Islamists, some militia loons, or something.
—Stephen Jay Gould

dps

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 04:29:32 PM

I would have guessed it was another term for the moonies.

Jacob

Yeah, if it's true that the shooting started in an area of the centre that was rented by a third party, perhaps there's a connection to that third party (rather than the centre's usual clients being the intended target).

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 02, 2015, 04:35:51 PM

Yes. It seems to have been planned more thoroughly than going in, guns blazing, and causing as much havoc as possible till the cops arrive and kill you. So it's probably some sort of terror cell - Islamists, some militia loons, or something.

Because it is for public employee awards or whatever that strikes me as militia loons but we will see.

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on December 02, 2015, 04:29:32 PM

At night you can hear them but you can't see them.

When I lived in NY there was this guy who upon learning I was a foreigner *insisted* on teaching me all manners of racial slurs (including the ones applicable to me, *particularly* those ones).

Malthus

Well, this is pretty goddam horrible.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Islam evolve from Moon worshippers, I guess it's a way to reference that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.