Trump is a fascist.

Started by jimmy olsen, November 25, 2015, 10:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your opinion, is Trump a fascist?

Yes
9 (22%)
No
21 (51.2%)
It's more complicated than that because...
11 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Syt

I'm a layman, but isn't, though the system may function similarly, Fascism rooted in national exceptionalism, whereas Communism pays at least lip service to the equality of races and nations?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Depends what you mean by communism.
Stalinism certainly is just fascism with a bit of red paint. Many other forms of communism (real and especially theoretical)...rather different.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2015, 10:51:39 AM
I'm a layman, but isn't, though the system may function similarly, Fascism rooted in national exceptionalism, whereas Communism pays at least lip service to the equality of races and nations?

Nationalist struggle in fascist countries can be substituted with class warfare in communist ones.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2015, 01:25:46 AM
Okay, then why don't you come up with a synonym for "authoritarian" that rolls off the tongue quite as easily as "fascist"?

Quote from: TyrI wonder how much of this stuff he feels strongly about himself and how much he is just saying to appeal to the worst of people (the Republican right) and try and trick his way into government so he can pull some dodgy libertarian bollocks.

This sounds a bit like projecting. Guller and Tim are civil libertarians so they see Trump as a Nazi, Tyr is old school Labour, so he sees Trump as a vestige of the Gilded Age.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on November 26, 2015, 10:54:20 AM
Stalinism certainly is just fascism with a bit of red paint.

Stalin was a Georgian, I hardly think his guiding philosophy was one of Russian exceptionalism.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Above all, what does Trump believe in? Draconian immigration stances get the headlines, but what Trump's career has really been about, and what he continues to lobby for today, is capitalism. He strongly advocates capitalism and is proposing slashing taxes to an even more massive extent than most of the "starve the beast" advocates in the republican party.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

My take on Trump is that he lacks any sort of coherent ideology, aside from consistent self-aggrandizement as a business promoter and belittling of opponents. The problem is that he will say (and, presumably, do) whatever he feels at the time, regardless of how stupid, offensive, or lacking in factual or rational basis it may be.  ;) Thousands of Muslims in New Jersey celebrated 9/11? Trump remembers seeing that, and if you claim it did not in fact happen, he'll mock you. That's about as deep as his political philosophy goes.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2015, 10:59:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 26, 2015, 10:51:39 AM

Nationalist struggle in fascist countries can be substituted with class warfare in communist ones.
That is a major difference, and that's the only one.  The reason Russians at home and abroad are so fascist in their politics is that it isn't a great leap from where they started.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on November 26, 2015, 11:14:29 AM
My take on Trump is that he lacks any sort of coherent ideology, aside from consistent self-aggrandizement as a business promoter and belittling of opponents. The problem is that he will say (and, presumably, do) whatever he feels at the time, regardless of how stupid, offensive, or lacking in factual or rational basis it may be.  ;) Thousands of Muslims in New Jersey celebrated 9/11? Trump remembers seeing that, and if you claim it did not in fact happen, he'll mock you. That's about as deep as his political philosophy goes.
I would again say that what Trump believes may not matter that much.  What matters is the people he appeals to, and how he appeals to them.  You can't stir up the ugliness in people on demand.  Once you go there, you touch off processes that will continue going on their own.

Grinning_Colossus

Trump isn't himself a fascist, but he's running on a fascist-ish platform because it works and he likes the attention.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2015, 11:19:44 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 26, 2015, 11:14:29 AM
I would again say that what Trump believes may not matter that much.  What matters is the people he appeals to, and how he appeals to them.  You can't stir up the ugliness in people on demand.  Once you go there, you touch off processes that will continue going on their own.

It's a good point. The popularity of Trump is very concerning.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Trump is not a fascist.

Fascism did have an identifiable political ideology, and was not merely synonymous with "bad right-wing politician".  Fascism believed in nationalism, but also believed in the national struggle.  That warfare did not weaken a country, but in fact would make it stronger, both socially and militarily.  Fascism believed in might makes right, and that the strong should dominate the weak. 

(obviously a definition in three lines is incomplete at best, but it's a good starting point)

What Trump is is a demagogue.  He has no identifiable political philosophy at all.  He gains attention by appealing to voters emotions, fears and prejudices.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2015, 10:47:54 AM
Quote from: DGuller on November 26, 2015, 01:05:40 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2015, 12:50:08 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2015, 12:32:02 AM
Can't cut and paste where I'm at right now, but he checks off 5 out of 9 of Paxton's passions (he wrote The Anatomy of Fascism).

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/donald-trump-a-fascist.html

The test is so vague a Soviet Communist could end up with a perfect score under that system.

Which is not at all absurd.  I have no idea where the concept of communism being an antithesis of fascism came from, but that is the absurd notion.  There are far more similarities than differences between the two systems.

It is absurd. There may be lots of similarities between the systems in practice and they may not be the antithesis of each other, but communism is not a synonym for fascism.

But what occurred in Soviet Russia was at times much closer to fascism then communism if you insist on a characterizing is as one or the other rather than accepting that Soviet Russia had significant fascist elements to it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 26, 2015, 11:41:27 AM
Trump is not a fascist.

Fascism did have an identifiable political ideology, and was not merely synonymous with "bad right-wing politician".  Fascism believed in nationalism, but also believed in the national struggle.  That warfare did not weaken a country, but in fact would make it stronger, both socially and militarily.  Fascism believed in might makes right, and that the strong should dominate the weak. 

(obviously a definition in three lines is incomplete at best, but it's a good starting point)

What Trump is is a demagogue.  He has no identifiable political philosophy at all.  He gains attention by appealing to voters emotions, fears and prejudices.

Dguller's observation is more to the point.  It really doesn't matter if Trump is himself a fascist.  He certainly appeals to fascist tendencies which a demagogue like Trump has apparently no hesitation to exploit.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 26, 2015, 11:51:48 AM
Dguller's observation is more to the point.  It really doesn't matter if Trump is himself a fascist.  He certainly appeals to fascist tendencies which a demagogue like Trump has apparently no hesitation to exploit.

But what D
:hmm: It didn't sound like that "but" was going to be good for me, so I'm glad you stopped there.